G-Sync Projectors

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Alcazar

G-Sync Projectors

Post by Alcazar » 05 Jun 2014, 20:28

I have a friend who lives to play games in his home theater with a projector, but like so many he is stuck at 60hz. To date I have not found any 1080p 120hz projectors for him to try (the ones that say 120hz are really just doing stereo, not true 120hz refreshes).

Now that G-Sync exists, it has the power to kind of changes things for projectors. The G-Sync brand means something, and sets a requirement to support up to 140hz or something, right? So if any projectors are coming out with the G-Sync support, gaming would be pretty awesome in such a home theater.

Anyone heard of any projectors planning to support G-Sync? If they did, the color wheel would need variable speed I think. Not impossible, I guess. Curious to hear your collective thoughts on this topic.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync Projectors

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2014, 07:49

The ones doing 3D stereoscopic actually often support TRUE 120Hz (undocumented, not advertised)
http://www.blurbusters.com/gigantic-120 ... projector/
And several BENQ projectors too.

Some GSYNC monitors will only support 60Hz, such as the newly announced 4K GSYNC displays. So it doesn't mean every GSYNC display is 120Hz+.

There are likely probably no GSYNC projectors for the near future, although it is technologically possible with LCD, LCOS and 3-chip DLP. The target market for GSYNC is gamers but it could find applications i. Home theater, for perfect playback of any arbitrary video framerate (present and future).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!