Display Science: Black paint?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Futuretech

Display Science: Black paint?

Post by Futuretech » 26 Mar 2022, 23:51

Does anyone know if Display Manufacturers paint the backpanel black with better higher quality black paint?

CRTs have a greyish tone to their look when it comes to an off state. When on and displaying black they do so greatly for the higher end models even lower end models provide reasonable black levels albeit that is not always the case. At least early on even some lower-mid tier CRT did better than LCD in black.

On LCD/OLED/microLED and other upcoming technologies the display panel i.e. the principle display not the monitor frame/housing. Is painted with a black color so that the display expresses black properly or more properly as well as a dark background for contrast.

Does anyone know if future Display Panels will be using ultra-high quality black paints like the various superblack paints. For example Vanta Black a black paint that absorbs nearly 100% of light. Just recently I did some research on various superblack paint and Mouso Black seems to provide higher black levels absorbing nearer to 100%.

These super black paints that near 100% black are they ever gonna use that on the display panel itself to procure improvements in black levels?

I recall some of the higher end CRTs with people stating the inky blacks or some high-end VA panels showing impressive blacks.

Does the panel display internally housed within the panel. Does anyone know if black paint affects the quality of displaying dark?

Or does the paint procuring blackness of the panel itself not matter when displaying information?

Would it create issues to paint the internal panel with these advanced paints? or does it not matter and even regular black works just fine?

In essence the darkness of the inside of the panel is what I mean i.e. he internals where there is an absence of light except reflected from outside sources.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Display Science: Black paint?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Mar 2022, 09:58

In LCDs, the color of the backpanel has ZERO effect on the color of the LCD, since the backlight is in front of it.

(”backlight” also could be an edge light lighting up a diffuser sheet).

The whole panel needs to be bright white by default.

LCD is a light valve behaviour so it subtracts light.

Black is generated by liquid crystals turning into an opaque state.

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!