[New ToastyX App] EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
ToastyX

Post by ToastyX » 04 Apr 2022, 21:30

I finally got around to making the EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows. As far as I know, this is the only program for Windows that can reprogram the EDID on the monitor using modern GPUs. Currently it only supports AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs.

I was able to modify the EDID on three displays:

1. ASUS VG248QE - EDID was write-protected by default, but writing can be enabled for DVI by enabling "BURNIN" mode in the service menu (hold the menu button down while powering on the monitor, and then press the menu button to open the service menu). This trick did not work for DisplayPort.
2. Catleap Q270 2B - EDID was not write-protected
3. Motile M142 laptop - EDID was not write-protected

In theory, this should also work with DisplayID, but I don't have any monitors that support DisplayID to test, and they are likely write-protected anyway. I tried writing a DisplayID to the EDID address, which should be legal according to the E-DDC standard, but neither AMD nor NVIDIA seem to support DisplayID that way. NVIDIA in particular will not even recognize a monitor with invalid data, so you have to be careful or you won't be able to fix the data without using an AMD GPU or some other method.

Due to driver limitations, this program can only read and write up to 256 bytes. That is enough for an EDID with one extension block or one DisplayID block.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Apr 2022, 23:13

Fantastic contribution! This is very useful for indie display hackers that frequent these forums.

This is a very niche app with very few consumer use cases.

I see potential consumer use cases for certain monitor models:
  • Install plug-and-play large vertical totals / Quick Frame Transport, so that low-latency low-crosstalk strobing "just works automagically" on certain models of monitors.
  • Install VRR-compatible EDIDs on non-VRR displays that apparently works with VRR (there are early 2010s monitors that are undocumented VESA Adaptive Sync compatible) so that they can properly function with NVIDIA GPUs (FreeSync extension block).
  • Install overclocked EDIDs, to make it easier to pre-overclock a Zowie BenQ monitor (XL2420s, XL2720s, and XL2411s can be overclocked from between 200-270Hz using an "Out Of Range Dismiss" hack that a forum member of ours discovered. This may be a very risky EDID to install, however -- requiring some DDC commands to be sent to force-dismiss the OUT OF RANGE before a picture appears. (You can use a 2nd monitor and/or an open source system tray app such as OORBuster to do that).
  • Experiment with replace non-QFT 60Hz EDIDs with QFT 60Hz EDIDs, for lower latency with 60fps games on 120Hz gaming consoles (Vertical Total 2250 with 1080p 60Hz usually works on many 1080p 120Hz displays, by delivering 60Hz refresh cycles in 1/120sec)
  • Pre-installed LightBoost hack on old LightBoost monitors
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: [New ToastyX App] EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows

Post by RealNC » 05 Apr 2022, 05:34

ToastyX wrote:
04 Apr 2022, 21:30
I finally got around to making the EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows. As far as I know, this is the only program for Windows that can reprogram the EDID on the monitor using modern GPUs. Currently it only supports AMD/ATI and NVIDIA GPUs.
Wow! That is incredible. And I'm afraid to use it, I must admit :mrgreen:
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 Apr 2022, 07:48

Wow indeed! :)
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Apr 2022, 19:49

Posted in the right place, even if 99% of users may not be able to use the utility -- this is an important addition to the monitor-hacking toolbox of the 2020s decade. We're the incubators and inspirers of monitor hackers worldwide.

We have amazing monitor hackers that use Blur Busters as a resource.

Whether it's overclocking a 144Hz BenQ monitor to 268Hz (SUCCESS), or adding strobed VRR-DyAc support to a BenQ XL254X-series monitor (SUCCESS) -- these were first announced as forum posts by these monitor hackers here, using various TestUFO tests and other collaborations by others.

Even if this tool is only used by one user per month, these are the monitor hackers of Blur Busters Forums that might reveal a new breakthrough useful to everyday people here. Tools like this can later be repackaged into a safer tool (Autodetect monitor model, as well as a backup-restore feature) for unlocking a specific useful monitor feature such as lowering the input lag of a specific monitor model by 8ms! (I've seen it happen with a specific custom-EDID override).

What's important is that experimentation can now continue with lower risk by the biggest Blur Busters fans -- to be later shared to others. Much easier than with much more unpredictable command line operations, used by manufacturers, with cryptic error codes, that are erratic in success and hard-to-verify. This metaphorically turns it into flying an easy beginner Piper or Cessna aeroplane instead of a complicated B-52 Stratofortress. Still complicated to fly, but much easier comparatively.

But don't forget to backup your original EDIDs!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Leonardoii

Post by Leonardoii » 30 Mar 2023, 00:21

Tried flashing my AW2518HF using this app in an attempt to get VRR working on my PS5.

The VRR option was available in the PS5's setting, it was even showing the range of 48-120hz however the monitor would blank out as long as VRR was engaged.

But the app worked great.(I also had to turn BURNIN on in the service menu) Too bad i couldn't get VRR working though.

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 31 Mar 2023, 08:56

Leonardoii wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 00:21
Tried flashing my AW2518HF using this app in an attempt to get VRR working on my PS5.

The VRR option was available in the PS5's setting, it was even showing the range of 48-120hz however the monitor would blank out as long as VRR was engaged.

But the app worked great.(I also had to turn BURNIN on in the service menu) Too bad i couldn't get VRR working though.
Did you use DVI or is it DP?

and can someone explain to me,
can i use this method for example to try to bypass 144hz hardlock and max pixel clock?

also can i use this method to enable 960x540 to make it visible by default,
so integer scaler will work without need to temper with anything?
(make it visible in games that dont support this res anymore)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11860

also if its all possible.. surely idk what would i need to do..
when i am looking those ff ff 00 12 ff ff :shock:

I am willing to try i just need some sort of tutorial,

so i can put that Cessna up in the air :D

Leonardoii

Post by Leonardoii » 31 Mar 2023, 12:24

Crazyness wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 08:56
Leonardoii wrote:

can i use this method for example to try to bypass 144hz hardlock and max pixel clock?

I used HDMI actually.

However, this app only let's you read or write the EDID of a monitor, so if you can't do the things you're trying to do using CRU you probably don't need this app.

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 06 Apr 2023, 04:23

Leonardoii wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 12:24
Crazyness wrote:
31 Mar 2023, 08:56
Leonardoii wrote:

I used HDMI actually.

However, this app only let's you read or write the EDID of a monitor, so if you can't do the things you're trying to do using CRU you probably don't need this app.

Unlucky i guess..tnx anyways..

I LOVE TIN FOIL

Post by I LOVE TIN FOIL » 26 Jul 2023, 21:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 19:49
Posted in the right place, even if 99% of users may not be able to use the utility -- this is an important addition to the monitor-hacking toolbox of the 2020s decade. We're the incubators and inspirers of monitor hackers worldwide.

We have amazing monitor hackers that use Blur Busters as a resource.

Whether it's overclocking a 144Hz BenQ monitor to 268Hz (SUCCESS), or adding strobed VRR-DyAc support to a BenQ XL254X-series monitor (SUCCESS) -- these were first announced as forum posts by these monitor hackers here, using various TestUFO tests and other collaborations by others.

Even if this tool is only used by one user per month, these are the monitor hackers of Blur Busters Forums that might reveal a new breakthrough useful to everyday people here. Tools like this can later be repackaged into a safer tool (Autodetect monitor model, as well as a backup-restore feature) for unlocking a specific useful monitor feature such as lowering the input lag of a specific monitor model by 8ms! (I've seen it happen with a specific custom-EDID override).

What's important is that experimentation can now continue with lower risk by the biggest Blur Busters fans -- to be later shared to others. Much easier than with much more unpredictable command line operations, used by manufacturers, with cryptic error codes, that are erratic in success and hard-to-verify. This metaphorically turns it into flying an easy beginner Piper or Cessna aeroplane instead of a complicated B-52 Stratofortress. Still complicated to fly, but much easier comparatively.

But don't forget to backup your original EDIDs!
If people know about this app only bad things will happen... All the game cheaters will use it to unban their monitors from the game.