[New ToastyX App] EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
lufusol

Re: [New ToastyX App] EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows

Post by lufusol » 24 Jan 2024, 11:50

I have a 2017 Roku TV (NS-50DR620NA18). It has no DP, HDMI only. The product title everywhere contains "HDR". Some third party websites list the color as 8bit+FRC. I searched the entire manual and the string "hdr" only appears in the middle of another word, once, not by itself. There are no options relating to HDR anywhere in the TV's UI, other than one single setting which turns on or off the HDR notification up in the corner (a little logo which pops up when switching to HDR). Only my PC (windows 10 22h2) with a RTX 3070 doesn't detect it as an HDR display. I tried CRU but that alone was not enough to make WIndows recognize my TV as an HDR display. I think this program is the solution, and I am very grateful for you creating it, thank you. Unfortunately I am also chicken**** about attempting to flash a new EDID to my TV for fear of bricking it. I read something about using an HDMI dummy adapter which can be flashed with the new EDID. Can you recommend such a thing?

Thanks -- luf

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: [New ToastyX App] EDID/DisplayID Writer for Windows

Post by RealNC » 25 Jan 2024, 12:06

lufusol wrote:
24 Jan 2024, 11:50
I tried CRU but that alone was not enough to make WIndows recognize my TV as an HDR display. I think this program is the solution
Hm. If CRU doesn't work, flashing the EDID wouldn't work either. Because the EDID file you would flash, you can just load it in CRU instead and apply it.

Unless I'm missing something on how CRU works.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.