Sample & Hold Motion Blur 60FPS @60Hz vs. @120Hz

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Tim42

Re: Sample & Hold Motion Blur 60FPS @60Hz vs. @120Hz

Post by Tim42 » 04 May 2022, 13:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2022, 09:41
Welcome!
:D
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
You’ve posted in the correct forums — and the above posters are (more or less) correct.
Thank you for your detailed and excellent explanations!
(And of course for all the constructive contributions of the other posters)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
However, GtG curves can be different for 60Hz and 120Hz.
Interesting. In this particular case of OLED TVs, do you know how the GtG values differ between 60Hz and 120Hz? I think very few test this aspect.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2022, 13:44

Tim42 wrote:
04 May 2022, 13:36
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Welcome!
:D
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
You’ve posted in the correct forums — and the above posters are (more or less) correct.
Thank you for your detailed and excellent explanations!
(And of course for all the constructive contributions of the other posters)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
However, GtG curves can be different for 60Hz and 120Hz.
Interesting. In this particular case of OLED TVs, do you know how the GtG values differ between 60Hz and 120Hz? I think very few test this aspect.
Before I even dare answer that, do you see a difference between 60fps at 120Hz, versus 60fps at 60Hz on that specific fabrication run of OLED panels?

Can you do at least a superquick Android/iPhone handwave pursuit test video at www.testufo.com/ghosting and post it here? The free $0 pursuit camera technique using the instructions in the Pursuit Camera Forum?

(If you have a rail, use it, but I only need a very basic smartphone handwave video with those easy instructions to identify the cause of your artifact.)

I have a big known dictionary in my brain mapping know pursuit camera artifacts to a known display physics behavior or camera physics behavior — I have an Einstein/videogenic mind for that stuff, assuming the sync track is less than 10% refresh cycle error margin (very easy to achieve with hand wave camera).

Railless smartphone handwave pursuit camera does require the download of a 3rd party smartphone camera app (exposure length control per video frame), but other than that, practiced handwaves actually can go more reliable than a budget flexy camera rail on shaky tripods — great for convention/field capture of pursuit camera without setup/teardown of a rail.

Pursuit camera also doubles as a defacto hidden GtG oscilloscope using visual blurtrail analysis, as it’s a plot-smear of the GtG curve into the photograph!

An example is transistient hidden PWM during specific Hz in an allegedly non-BFI mode. Test oscilloscope on solid 25% or 50% gray static field (25% and 100% window) and see if the OLED is using per-pixel PWM in a semi-DLP-like manner during certain situations as a dynamic range extension technique.

I don’t think it’s OLED GtG curves causing any of this, since both 60 Hz and 120 Hz GtG’s are usually faster than human artifact detectability except during darks (e.g. GtG artifacts in dark OLED grays below 1% IRE can have weird slowness on some OLED fabrications, but probably not LG’s). MPRT artifacts dominate, due to the MPRT:GtG ratio heavily tilted to MPRT, thus much of what is seen by eyes is MPRT issues (aka persistence blur). So it *could* be hidden per-pixel PWM trying to simulate sample and hold. But I would not rule this, without a pursuit camera test.

(Incidentally, MPRT100%:GtG100% ratio also explains why 0.5ms GtG is invisible at 60Hz but can be visible at 360fps-360Hz, or as crosstalk on even lower-Hz strobed LCDs. Faster GtGs reduce crosstalk)

Use browser frame rate limiting (browser flags) to force TestUFO to 60fps on 120Hz displays, or just use Internet Explorer (doesn’t support 120Hz) for your 60fps at 120Hz pursuit camera test. Chrome and FireFox has hidden flags to cap the browser frame rate.

We have to determine if:

(A) This is psychovisual (no difference in pursuit camera)
(B) This is electronic (shows in pursuit camera)

Once we can determine this, I can give you a proper scientific explanation.

In my brain, neither has been ruled out, so please test pursuit camera (super easy quick 30-60 second repeat-pass smartphone handwave video is OK, don’t edit it, I’ll do the frame stepping to identify analyzable frame photos for pursuit camera photo analysis)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2022, 17:34

iPhone Handwave Pursuit Camera QuickStart Instructions

If you don't have time to read forum, adjust the camera settings to make video to emulate 30fps burst shooting with manual camera settings per video frame.

You need a 3rd party iPhone camera app to pull this off.
First, please download either "ProCam" or "DSLRCamera" for your iPhone
They both have manual camera mode for video.
Use these settings:

- Resolution: 4K
- Bitrate: As high as possible for max photo quality per frame
- Color temp: 6500K
- Focus: manual (so it does not autofocus-hunt)
- Exposure per Video Frame: 3 or 4 refresh cycles long.
Use 1/20sec for 60Hz (3 tickmarks in sync track -- these are still valid)
Use 1/30sec for 120Hz (4 tickmarks in sync track)
Use 1/60sec for 240Hz (4 tickmarks in sync track)
- Smartphone camera distance: Camera same distance from screen as a human eye.
- Smartphone camera zoom: Use sparingly if necessary to make UFOs bigger (preferred over bringing camera closer, because that adds viewing-angle distortions to resulting photographs)
- ISO: Adjust everything above first, ISO last. Adjust manually until blacks/whites aren't clipping

Next,
1. load www.testufo.com/ghosting and wave your hand to follow the UFOs
(hold iPhone landscape, and spin your office chair to prevent arm shake).
2. Go back and fourth and do about 10 passes in the same video file.
3. Repeat for each test (e.g. 60Hz and 120Hz), at one video file per display settings.
4. Give me the video files as a GDrive or Dropbox link.
(I will load the video file and frame-step through them to find the perfect horizontal ladders in Sync Track, and save those specific pursuit freezeframes, those becomes the analyzable pursuit camera photos where I can then identify 60Hz-vs-120Hz artifacts)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Tim42

Post by Tim42 » 05 May 2022, 18:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2022, 13:44
Before I even dare answer that, do you see a difference between 60fps at 120Hz, versus 60fps at 60Hz on that specific fabrication run of OLED panels?
I have never noticed the effects John from DF describes. The only thing I noticed is that with unstable frame rates just below 60FPS, I don't perceive the picture stuttering quite as annoyingly at 120Hz as I do at 60Hz (but that's a different topic).

But I also have to admit that I never did a direct comparison between 60FPS@60Hz and @120Hz as intensively as he apparently did.
In normal usage scenarios you rarely have this case, the XSX is usually left set to 120Hz and the PS5 has hardly had any games that supported 120Hz output. That leaves the PC, where VRR is usually used anyway.

Since he seems to be directly affected and perceives the effects, it would of course be best if he commented on it himself. Unfortunately, I do not know whether he is also active here in the forum.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2022, 13:44
Can you do at least a superquick Android/iPhone handwave pursuit test video at www.testufo.com/ghosting and post it here?
Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of replacing my OLED TV, so I won't have the chance to do that until I get my new TV (an LG OLED G2), which may take another 1 to 2 weeks.

But once I have the new TV, I'll take a look and create a video as soon as I find the time. It will definitely be interesting to analyze whether there might actually be an advantage of 60Hz over 120Hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 May 2022, 18:46

Tim42 wrote:
05 May 2022, 18:28
I have never noticed the effects John from DF describes. The only thing I noticed is that with unstable frame rates just below 60FPS, I don't perceive the picture stuttering quite as annoyingly at 120Hz as I do at 60Hz (but that's a different topic).
Correct.

Higher Hz can occasionally increase stutter of badly-framepaced software.

Some software have very erratic frame pacing.
- 60Hz fixed Hz VSYNC ON is like a one-dimensional snap-to-grid for frames with spacing intervals at 16.7ms (1/60sec)
- 120Hz fixed Hz VSYNC ON is like a one-dimensionasnap-to-grid for frames with spacing intervals at 8.3ms (1/120sec)

A lot of GPUs and software finishes frames very erratically (some frames take only 4ms to render, other frames take 10ms to render. On top of it, sometimes render-beginnings are also as erratic as render-endings, out of sync with refresh cycles).

60fps software with an 8ms rendering phase error (jitter of render starts/completions) will still look perfect at 60Hz because XBox and PlayStations are VSYNC ON, which rounds-off frames to the nearest refresh cycle (1/60sec = 16.7ms). So 10ms jitter/phase error in frame delivery internally in the GPU/software/drivers -- is cancelled out by the low snap-to-grid resolution of the 60Hz metronome (refresh cycles spaced exactly 1/60sec apart).

But play the exact GPU 60fps at 120Hz instead, and now you suddenly have stutter. This is because the refresh cycle intervals are finer granularity.

So depending on how rendering jitters, it might miss refresh cycles and generate a random pulldown of 1:3:1:1:3:2:3:1:3:1:2 instead of a perfect 2:2:2:2:2:2:2 pulldown for 60fps at 120Hz. GPU game rendering isn't perfectly framepaced. This shows up as stutter/judder at 120Hz that doesn't happen at 60Hz.

Occasionally, the processing in a GPU is cyclic (harmonic beat frequencies between multiple imprecise software clocks, imprecise driver clocks, imprecise CPU clocks, imprecise GPU clocks) and starts generating regular pulldown like 1:3:1:3:1:3:1:3 or even odd stuff like 1:1:3:3:1:1:3:3:1:1:3:3 or 1:3:2:1:3:2:1:3:2:1:3:2 pulldown that makes a false double-image effect easier to see. Other times it's randomized like 1:3:1:2:1:1:3:3:1:2:2:3 from background processing tasks of a GPU and CPU...

Unfortunately, sometimes this is a problem for video player software too! Not just games. Players are often software apps, and different apps are badly programmed. Some badly programmed video player software that framepaces 60fps video perfectly at 60Hz. But stutters at 120Hz.

Now, if framepacing is programmed properly and perfectly, this should never happen. But software aren't perfect. Graphics drivers aren't perfect. Video player software apps aren't perfect.

Sometimes pulldown judder also generates false double images, depending on how your human brain works. That's why 3:2 pulldown (24fps at 60Hz) sometimes generate a false double image effect for some humans, that doesn't occur as visibly during 24p mode. Every human brain sometimes perceive motion slightly differently (especially if GtG pixel response is super-fast).

3:2 pulldown is roughly like a harmonic between two different frequencies (e.g. 200Hz and 300Hz vibrating through the same guitar string). Although audio effects don't map exactly to visual effects, it is an apt metaphor because regular pulldowns are essentially harmonics.

It's important to ensure perfect TestUFO framepacing (green "VALID") so that you can rule-out possible pulldown-problems as an external non-display-related cause. We already know OLED makes 3:2 pulldown easier to see, because of fast OLED pixel response, and 24p becomes more visible improvement on an OLED than a slow LCD (where display motion blur can partially hide 3:2 pulldown judder).

So it's just a convergence of OLED fastness versus existing erratic pulldown now easier to see that's creating one of the many possible causes of 60Hz-vs-120Hz content differences.

Naturally, that's why 24Hz produces better 24p than 120Hz. Player software has a generous 1/24sec error margin before stutter occurs, instead of a 1/120sec error margin that's harder for software, because of the one-dimensional "snap-to-grid" behavior of lower-granularity refresh cycles helping smooth out 24p from flawed player software. An accidental hardware filter for software imperfections!

Note: GPU refresh rate perspective, not TV refresh rate perspective. Some TVs automatically frame-double/triple/quadruple/pentuple (e.g. use 48Hz or 120Hz to do 24p), but FPGAs and ASICs in TVs can do it perfectly. As long as the video source/console/GPU is outputting 24p 24Hz "on the wire", it will benefit from the stutter-smoothing of snap-to-1/24sec.
Note: Same snap-to-grid benefit applies to 60fps 60Hz, for TVs that use internal 60Hz-to-120Hz conversion, whether interpolation-based or non-interpolation-based to allow a 120Hz-only fabbed fixed-Hz panel to successfully simulate an uninterpolated 60Hz panel via repeating a 60Hz refresh cycle two times, for 60Hz "on-the-wire" sources.)

Fortunately with modern GPUs, TestUFO is currently capable of framepacing 60Hz perfectly at 120Hz, with some tricks (once properly setup). Then pursuit camera of 60Hz and 120Hz will at least rule-out TV-specific causes, allowing it to be traced to psychovisual causes instead, or to pulldown causes instead.