Innolux LVDS display overclocked to 106hz

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Curi0

Innolux LVDS display overclocked to 106hz

Post by Curi0 » 16 Oct 2017, 03:30

Hi,
I have managed to get 106hz on my HP Pavilion g7 2269wm with a 17.3 1600x900 Innolux LVDS display which is the maximum possible due to the 162mhz pixel clock limit.There is no frameskipping or artifacts and its much smoother than 60hz for both normal usage and gaming.If anyone knows a pixel clock patcher for LVDS on Radeon 7640G please share it with me since I couldn't find an LVDS pixel clock patcher.There is a bit of ghosting and overclocking reduced it alot but can I reduce it more ?

For some reason when using the 106hz custom resolution I can't change the screen brightness. I can fix this by uninstalling the driver for Generic PNP Monitor and scanning for hardware changes but on the next reboot I loose the custom resolution.

lexlazootin

Re: Innolux LVDS display overclocked to 106hz

Post by lexlazootin » 16 Oct 2017, 05:47

Have you tried the AMD pixel clock patcher?

Also LVDS is just a connection, most monitors are panels with a LVDS connection. Without using the patcher you can try lowering the Vertical Total and Horizontal Total to get more bandwidth for more HZ. but that's about it if the patcher doesn't work.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2017, 12:23

Does the display support lower resolutions, e.g. 1024x600? This can give you more overclocking headroom, but that gives you potential scaling issues.

Yes, the AMD pixel clock patcher may also help, but it might be a little trickier for laptops. That said, we've got a user who overclocked a laptop screen to a scorchingly high 180Hz (verified!).

That's a 3x overclocking factor, which is quite unusually big, but sometimes there's just simply huge amounts of headroom on LCDs that don't have an unnecessary "SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE" electronics cop protecting it (sometimes a firmware patch works; not for the faint of heart -- mainly done by wizards like cirthix/Zisworks, who pushed plain off-the-shelf TN LCDs all the way to 240Hz and 480Hz). Many modern LCDs have huge amounts of headroom if the electronics would let it.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Curi0

Post by Curi0 » 16 Oct 2017, 22:49

lexlazootin wrote:Have you tried the AMD pixel clock patcher?

Also LVDS is just a connection, most monitors are panels with a LVDS connection. Without using the patcher you can try lowering the Vertical Total and Horizontal Total to get more bandwidth for more HZ. but that's about it if the patcher doesn't work.
I already changed the blanking to 0 to get 106hz.If it's not LVDS is it eDP? Also in Linux the XRandR command says LVDS.

I'll try the AMD pixel clock patcher.Does it work without testmode ?

Also is it possible to damage the monitor / GPU by running it outside of the recommended pixel clock. I searched the internet as much as I can and I can't find a single report of a monitor dying for overclock so I guess it's safe :P

Curi0

Post by Curi0 » 16 Oct 2017, 22:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Does the display support lower resolutions, e.g. 1024x600? This can give you more overclocking headroom, but that gives you potential scaling issues.

Yes, the AMD pixel clock patcher may also help, but it might be a little trickier for laptops. That said, we've got a user who overclocked a laptop screen to a scorchingly high 180Hz (verified!).

That's a 3x overclocking factor, which is quite unusually big, but sometimes there's just simply huge amounts of headroom on LCDs that don't have an unnecessary "SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE" electronics cop protecting it (sometimes a firmware patch works; not for the faint of heart -- mainly done by wizards like cirthix/Zisworks, who pushed plain off-the-shelf TN LCDs all the way to 240Hz and 480Hz). Many modern LCDs have huge amounts of headroom if the electronics would let it.
I tried 720p at 107hz and it didn't work (blank screen) ,it does have a scaler and I would prefer native resolution.

Is the TCON and stuff located on the motherboard or the LCD.Will I be able to use the Zisworks board and get it to 240hz ? Is it possible to damage the lcd or motherboard by running it over the pixel clock limit ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2017, 19:30

Curi0 wrote:Is the TCON and stuff located on the motherboard or the LCD.Will I be able to use the Zisworks board and get it to 240hz ? Is it possible to damage the lcd or motherboard by running it over the pixel clock limit ?
TCON stuff are on the display side, usually on a board attached to the back of the LCD or inside the panel's barebones enclosure. The TCON and the monitor motherboard may be separate or combined, depends on the display.

You'll need to ask these questions to cirthix (Zis) -- www.zisworks.com
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Curi0

Post by Curi0 » 18 Oct 2017, 09:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Yes, the AMD pixel clock patcher may also help, but it might be a little trickier for laptops. That said, we've got a user who overclocked a laptop screen to a scorchingly high 180Hz (verified!).
I tried AMD Pixel clock patcher but it didn't work. Does it support laptops (LVDS / eDP) and how can I check if my laptop is eDP or LVDS ?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Oct 2017, 10:14

If XRandR command says LVDS, it's probably LVDS.

Curi0

Post by Curi0 » 19 Oct 2017, 00:37

Does anyone know how to get the brightness working when using a custom resolution ?

Curi0

Post by Curi0 » 16 Apr 2018, 23:16

Using Windows 10 instead of 7 the brightness can be changed