Notebook display OC from 75Hz to ... ?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
danceman96

Notebook display OC from 75Hz to ... ?

Post by danceman96 » 20 Feb 2018, 18:07

Hi,
I have notebook Lenovo Y910 with 75Hz IPS, G-SYNC display.
I wrote that i can OC my display but i never heard about that so i have questions...
How it works ? After OC to 100Hz for example it will be like true 100Hz external monitor ?
It is safety ?
And how do it well ?

Is it as easy as in the picture?

Instructions:

- Download CRU
- unzip and open the file as an admin
- click the existing Profile with 75Hz and klick edit
- Change the 75Hz refreshrate to 100 Hz and press okay

SOURCE:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... t-10644371

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Notebook display OC from 75Hz to ... ?

Post by RealNC » 21 Feb 2018, 00:05

If g-sync still works at 100Hz and it doesn't frame skip or blur, then yeah. It will work like any other 100Hz monitor.

To test for frame skips, go here:

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

You will need a camera set to long exposure time and take a photo with it. You need to take the photo when the box at the bottom is green and valid and it says "100Hz". If the photo shows no empty boxes, then it's not frame skipping. If you see empty boxes, then it's frame skipping and the OC is not useful.

As for safety, there's no guarantees. The only thing we can tell you is that panel damage on LCD displays due to OCing is uncommon.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 21 Feb 2018, 04:21

I only have Samsung S5, so can I do that test with S5 camera and with app like this for example ?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gexposure2

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Feb 2018, 05:25

Yep. Although for this test the exposure doesn't need to be super long. 150ms or so should be enough.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Feb 2018, 15:54

Yep, RealNC is correct --
Approx 1/8sec exposure (~125ms) setting is good enough for most frameskip tests.

You can also trick smartphone cameras into doing a longer exposure by turning off room lights, and/or closing drapes & and/or lowering your screen's brightness. If that fails, then a manual-adjustable camera apps helps a lot.

However, for some rare-framedrop tests (1-in-40 drops at 240Hz), you need 1/4sec or 1/3sec to easily capture that. You can simply capture many shorter-exposure photos instead, using chance instead to try to catch frameskips.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 22 Feb 2018, 13:10

i have overclocked my display to 100Hz and it seems to be OK - no frame skipping in frame test.
Colors also look fine.

Should i do more tests to see if its stable?

Does warranty cover display OC ?

Can i try overclock my display to 144Hz for example ?

And what happens when i loose stability after OC ?

EDIT.
I got black screen after OC to 120Hz :mrgreen: ,
so i think 100Hz is the limit (like the other person, who has the same notebook, said)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2018, 16:41

danceman96 wrote:i have overclocked my display to 100Hz and it seems to be OK - no frame skipping in frame test.
Colors also look fine.

Should i do more tests to see if its stable?

Does warranty cover display OC ?

Can i try overclock my display to 144Hz for example ?

And what happens when i loose stability after OC ?

EDIT.
I got black screen after OC to 120Hz :mrgreen: ,
so i think 100Hz is the limit (like the other person, who has the same notebook, said)
-- Display OC doesn't cause warranty issues, but no guarantees.
-- If 120Hz blacks out and 100Hz works, that's probably your territory of limit.
-- If you lose stability, try backing off like about 10Hz. Especially in warmer weather (summer)

I know of a few surprising overclocks, a 60Hz successfully overclocked to 180Hz.
And Cirthix successfully got an off-the-shelf bare LCD panel to run at a true confirmed 480Hz -- http://www.blurbusters.com/480hz -- that's literally overclocking far beyond panel manufacturer expectations.

That said, most overclocks only work by a few percent, e.g. 60Hz -> 75Hz, because of some silly little limitation like a "chip in the way" -- like maybe a scaler or TCON that doesn't recognize flexible refresh rates -- or some other "weak link" that prevents an overclock.

Intrisinically, the panel itself is almost never the weak link but whatever is driving the panel.

Note: Pixel response limitations plays a role in what improvements can be perceived, but nothing stops you from trying refresh cycles faster than pixel response (just like the old 33ms 60Hz LCD days of year 1995) -- the display just simply begins to have streaking-blur effects once you've gone way too far if it hasn't blacked out yet.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 23 Feb 2018, 04:17

So overclocked to 144Hz display is like a true 144Hz display ?

What about input lag ? with more Hz, it is smaller ?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Feb 2018, 04:47

danceman96 wrote:So overclocked to 144Hz display is like a true 144Hz display ?
If it doesn't frame skip, yes. Don't sweat it though. Once you reach 100Hz, you're pretty much set. Actually, anything higher than 90Hz is pretty good.

On my 165Hz monitor, I don't use more than 100Hz g-sync most of the time, unless I'm playing CS:GO or OW. For the vast majority of single-player games, I use 90Hz even (so that 30FPS videos in the game won't stutter.)
What about input lag ? with more Hz, it is smaller ?
With vsync, yes. With g-sync, the gains are smaller. As I said before, g-sync with anything higher than 90Hz is already very good.

In your case, 100Hz with 90FPS cap and g-sync should give a very good experience in most games. Obviously, the higher Hz you can get the better, but if you max out at 100Hz or so and can't get higher, then that's already pretty good.

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 23 Feb 2018, 06:06

ok, so
I should cap my FPS at 90 (i wrote in your article it should be 3,4 fps below my display Hz refresh so why 90? )
turn on V-SYNC and G-SYNC in nvidia control panel,
in-game V-SYNC should be always OFF.

And G-SYNC should be work after this OC ?

I most often play BF1 online where i have 65-100 fps, but i also play The Witcher 3 where i have `50 fps and GTA V where i also have `50 fps