Acer GF246

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
braddock

Acer GF246

Post by braddock » 10 Mar 2018, 19:34

Hello, I have buy a Acer GF246 last week, and I have try to OC, basically to modify the freesync range. 47-75Hz. The problem is, the monitor is not responding to any change of Hz, I have created various custom resolutions, but this monitor refuses any variation. All hz down from 47 causes intermitent black screen in freesync (test range from 30 and upping, only 47 is running,the default.... And customs resolutions upping 80hz,85hz,90hz,etc,etc same, frequency not supported.

Is posible? this panel not support any OC?

And freesync range same? cannot make a resolution with more Hz, but down range, refussing?? for bigger range, is the only option.

Acer have make a hiperexac range of specs with no possibility to OC in any way?

I am using AMD rx570, DP cable 1.2, Range of freesync changed on Display Properties Range limits. Custom resolutions tested creating in Detailed resolutions, and extension blocks, using standard, reduced, and equal to the 60hz original default.

thanks advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer GF246

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Mar 2018, 11:35

Are you using ToastyX CRU to do the overclocking?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

braddock

Post by braddock » 12 Mar 2018, 13:49

First was triying custom resolutions in AMD CCC, and later in CRU. But same result, every change black screen, or resolution not supported.

I provide a screen cap of default setting for more info.

Thanks advance.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2018, 13:36

Some panels just simply don't want to work with a large FreeSync ranges -- so it's possible to be SOL in this case.

Has anyone else succeeded in this FreeSync range on this particular panel?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

braddock

Post by braddock » 13 Mar 2018, 14:24

And some help to OC this panel? 80? 90hz? is strange the margin of changes or oc is....

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2018, 09:33

braddock wrote:And some help to OC this panel? 80? 90hz? is strange the margin of changes or oc is....
Some panels OC well. Others have no OC margin.

It is very panel dependant, and also how their electronics either prevents or passes through the timings to the actual panel itself. Sometimes the firmware has "Out of Range" cops that prevents you from overclocking, even if the actual LCD panel itself is intrisinically overclockable. So the same panel glass in some monitors will overclock, but won't in others.

It is possible that for certain panels, you may have to raise the lower Hz proportionally, e.g. 55-80Hz instead of 48-75Hz. Depending on the panel, the range ratio may need to remain constant.

For simplicity, you may want to try overclocking the higher Hz as a fixed-Hz first, before testing FreeSync ranges.

But from what you said, it appears your monitor is refusing any overclocks. You might be able to overclock slightly by locking your Pixel Clock (dont raise it) and then reducing porches/sync to raise Hz. You will only be able to go up to 5 or 10 percent higher this way.

braddock

Post by braddock » 14 Mar 2018, 10:19

My first test was OC the panel, not freesync, but no result. I have try 75 to 80, 90 or 100hz creating custom resolutions in CRU, but always "Resolution not supported". If I modify the some valors of the info in CRU (Edit option in the name of Display,same window of serial number,etc,etc) 47-75hz to 47-80 or equal to custom resolution created I obtained a black screen but not message "resolution not supported".

I supose this monitor not refresh down to 47, (in my test later changing freesync range 46 is the limit) only 30hz in interleaced. So i cant create resolution up to 75hz or down 47hz, i am totally limited for change any range of freesync later. This is the question.

I see a diference of lines, back porch,etc,etc, in the 60hz and the 75hz predefined resolutions of monitor. Is posible that monitor need a specific values or diferent to obtain any change? (i Have tried lcd standard,lcd native, and reduced, but these valors are diferent to default 60hz or 75hz default valors.

With my values can provide a some example to test?

Sorry for my english, and thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2018, 12:35

braddock wrote:I see a diference of lines, back porch,etc,etc, in the 60hz and the 75hz predefined resolutions of monitor. Is posible that monitor need a specific values or diferent to obtain any change? (i Have tried lcd standard,lcd native, and reduced, but these valors are diferent to default 60hz or 75hz default valors.

With my values can provide a some example to test?

Sorry for my english, and thanks.
There are no example values except the ones already posted in this forum.

The name of the game is.
1. Switch to highest Hz. The highest Pixel Clock you can successfully get.
2. Do not use any automatic formulas, use MANUAL. No GTF, No VESA, No nothing, it must be "Manual"
3. Lock your Pixel Clock (this prevents you from editing refresh rate) by putting radio button on Pixel Clock.
4. Don't edit Refresh Rate. Don't touch Refresh rate.
5. Now, reduce Front Porch / Sync / Back Porch slowly (of either Horizontal OR Vertical), testing in between.
Try manually halving numbers (essentially the "binary search technique") until you've failed, then back to previous setting, and try decreasing less (e.g. by a quarter instead instead). Use "Windows Calculator" to help you halve the numbers manually.
6. Keep going until you black out, and then revert. Refresh Rate Hz will automatically go up everytime you reduce the porches/sync.
7. Repeat the same (steps 3-4) for the other dimension (Horizontal vs Vertical)
8. Now you've got the highest Hertz possible without modifying the Pixel Clock. (usually 5-10% higher).

The exact numbers cannot be predicted but this is the general "Last Resort" overclocking technique. This may or may not work.

braddock

Post by braddock » 14 Mar 2018, 13:36

Ok, tested and no margin of OC always black screen. The only hz with result is 76 and 77hz more than this....

One curiosity, using the same values of 60hz but upping to 75hz, result in a image more clear or more continous, is dificult to explain. The diference are the front and back porch,etc,etc, in default 75hz is less than 60. Is possible? or placebo? jajaja

Thanks for the help!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2018, 15:56

It's normal for different Hz to use different numbers in the Porches/Sync.

By default, highest refresh rates usually use reduced blanking intervals to get the extra Hz.

Sometimes you can milk a tiny bit more, but not always. If you get failure on vertical, try repeating on horizontal (using the smallest working vertical). That may or may not allow you to get further Hz.

Porches and Sync has no visible effect on picture quality. An old carryover from analog days -- they are now simply are electronic delays between rows of pixels or electronic delays between refresh cycles, to give a display time to begin a new refresh cycle, etc. Smaller numbers for Porches and Sync generally won't interfere with your picture unless it's excessively overclocked (smaller Porch/Sync values = faster Porches/Sync).