BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Klemern

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by Klemern » 16 Nov 2021, 10:37

So, i think that i know the problem of 2411p
My close friend bought used 2411p with v002 firmware and he overclocked it literally by the one click
But i have an 2411p with v009 firmware and nothing works
Can someone check that?

CubanLegend

Post by CubanLegend » 18 Nov 2021, 18:54

it may be a firmware thing where the later firmware patched it, or it could be tied to your manufacturing date of the monitor?

you could try patching the firmware back to v002? idk if that would work

fazeobama

Post by fazeobama » 23 Nov 2021, 23:09

nnnn20 wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 23:57
VigorouZz wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 01:46
Any body having xl2411p oced to 200hz??? Am having issue
Turn off instant mode and see if it goes above 150hz. I had the same issue on my older benq, exactly at 150 as well, might be for the same reason. Alternatively what also works is using a lower horizontal (below 1400 total) total and then going directly over 200hz and skipping anything between 150-200 (yeah really). No guarantees it is the same issue but worth a try.

I managed to break my own record, 281-283hz (283hz on OSD). The screen looks very washed up but it works and plays fine :D

Hello my friend, I own the same model monitor as you and have been overclocking the refresh rate to exceed 144hz for roughly a year and a half now. However, I have never managed to break past 211hz on my xl2411p. I'm curious, how in the world did you manage to achieve such a high refresh rate on this 144hz monitor?!? :o :D

If you don't mind, could you please share a screen grab of what particular settings you used in order to reach 283hz? I would very much so highly appreciate it.

Thanks!

jcobbb

Post by jcobbb » 28 Dec 2021, 05:40

Hello, I have a problem - I can only create nonnative resolution such as 1280x960, 1024x768. When I create 1920x1080 it doesn't show in windows settings. Also when I launch game on overclocked resolution my picture mode resets and I have to switch it to the right one. Anyone knows how to fix it? I'm using OOR Buster + CRU because I have AMD GPU.

nnnn20

Post by nnnn20 » 24 Jan 2022, 21:23

fazeobama wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 23:09

Hello my friend, I own the same model monitor as you and have been overclocking the refresh rate to exceed 144hz for roughly a year and a half now. However, I have never managed to break past 211hz on my xl2411p. I'm curious, how in the world did you manage to achieve such a high refresh rate on this 144hz monitor?!? :o :D

If you don't mind, could you please share a screen grab of what particular settings you used in order to reach 283hz? I would very much so highly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hey, I haven't checked here in a while, sorry for the late response. My monitor is the 2420te (144hz revision), so not the exact same as the xl2411p. I was replying to him assuming that perhaps some of the same things apply for more of the 144hz models, which might or might not be correct. It will probably depend on whether the monitors' implementation of "instant mode" & their scalers behave similarly, as these seem to be the two biggest factors in overclocking this monitor (my scaler is MST 8556t according to the service menu, supposedly the xl2411p also has this same scaler too according to a random picture on google images).

Because I have the S-switch, it is a lot easier to try different settings and I was able to essentially brute-force a lot of the quirks out of this monitor. However I haven't messed with it in a while and my memory might not be perfect regarding a few details, but I'll try to remember the most I can. A tl;dr first in case you want a quicker answer that might solve your problem:

If you are "capped" at 210hz, even in lower resolutions, the most likely reason is that you are not actually making video scaled resolutions but rather GPU scaled resolutions, which are still 1920x1080 and will abide by its limits. So:
  • To go over 210hz you must use a lower video scaled resolution, no way around it as you are hitting the maximum pixel clock (~480MHz) if you use 1920x1080p@210hz. I have heard Windows10 makes it more difficult to use real display scaling, so perhaps a lot of people do not even realize they are running gpu scaled resolutions unless they check the monitor's OSD(edit: I forgot you can also change some color settings to allow slightly higher bandwidth through the cable as well).
  • To avoid glitched resolutions and improve your rate of success, it is generally better to be in the desired resolution prior to switching to the OCed version of it, especially if the vertical values do not match. So for example if you wanted to make a 1350x1080@240hz (5:4) resolution, it is preferred to be at its non-OCed version before switching to it and also on the same scaling/display mode. (must make sure it is also video scaled and not GPU scaled, otherwise it will be pointless to do this)
  • If your desired aspect ratio does not match the best OC you are able to achieve, through nvidia's custom resolution you are able to scale it back/up to any fake resolution with any aspect ratio you may wish (will not look great to say the least, but it works and appears not to add additional input lag, on my setup anyway).
Achieving very high OCs
First figure out what the limiting factors are and work from there, then search for possible "magical values" that may work better than others. As an example, in my monitor's case (*instant mode ON, display mode "Full"):
- Max Pixel Clock: ~330MHz
- Max Horizontal Resolution: values below 1400, roughly (screen looks glitchy & frameskips above this value)
- Vertical Resolution (active pixels): very important, the monitor can be very picky here; generally deals better with the native value, possibly because the resolution I'm using prior to switching to an OC matches it and therefore it handles it better (so either 1080p or the same value as the resolution prior to switching to its OCed version). Messing with this value is what allowed me to achieve my highest OC; by using 1280 active pixels as the vertical resolution, the monitor is able to go as high as 281hz-286hz (windows and OSD show distinct values) without glitching out. I don't know why this value in specific, but it must have something to do with the scaler.

Additional information that might be useful:
  • Instant mode OFF: this majorly affects the way the OC behaves, at least on this monitor. With instant mode OFF, the OC behaves in a much more predictable manner, without any major glitches and abiding by the expected ~480MHz pixel clock limit which translates to about 210hz at 1920x1080p resolution, which I assume is the limit you are hitting on yours. The monitor can do up to 255hz with instant mode off on lower resolutions, with higher values wrapping around and resulting in "frameskipped" versions of their equivalent refresh rates (i.e 500hz is actually something like 240hz but frameskipped).
  • Instant mode ON: with it ON, the OC behaves much less predictably. At first it made me think I could not overclock this model at all as anything over 150hz resulted in a severely glitched screen, regardless of the pixel clock or any other parameter. I discovered however that only the 150hz-200hz range seemed to be bugged in this manner, values higher than 200hz displayed normally, with just some slight screen offset. On this mode however, the pixel clock "limit" changes for some reason, to around ~330MHz. The max "usable" refresh rate becomes about ~262-267hz, with higher values working without frameskipping (even as high as 500hz, and very likely even higher), but displaying in very very glitched ways which are absolutely unusable.
  • Built in scaling modes: shockingly, instant mode appears not to function at all in any of the "display modes" except of "Full", regardless of it being enabled or disabled in the settings. I assume so because in any of the other modes the OC behaves the exact same as it does with instant mode OFF and the input lag is also obviously noticeable. It was well known at the time of the release of these monitors that the scaling modes seemed "off" and nobody seemed to play with them. It was thought that the scaling itself was perhaps a laggy implementation, but I guess it was just the fact that instant mode is either bugged or incompatible with these modes for technical reasons. Still very misleading to show it is "on" even though it is not.
  • The profile, scaling modes and resolution you are in BEFORE you do the OC trick matter and majorly affect how the OC behaves and its success and/or failure. It is something that should be paid major attention to. For the people using the software to trigger the OC & switch profiles I'm not exactly sure what could be the implications as I have never tested it.(assumption: the monitor does not properly switch all of its internal parameters adequately since it never finishes applying the resolution in a regular way, so some settings "carry over" from the last mode/resolution)
  • If you set the back porch to 0, the screen gets divided in two with each half updating alternatively to each other (useless but interesting to look at)
  • You can also get a bugged interlaced OCed mode working by using HDMI cable, which is obviously not real interlaced, but might be useful in some way depending on the vertical values the monitor works better with. I remember very little of this but it was interesting to see it even worked at all.
  • VGA displays different resolution values than the other cables in the OSD when using "bugged"/OCed resolutions, perhaps offering a hint of what is going on internally with the scaler during the OC.
The least glitchy looking 500hz I managed to get working if anyone wants to try. No frameskipping. Highest hz is unknown as win7 limits me to 500hz. The mouse feels amazing even though it is so tiny and difficult to use!

Highest fullscreen "usable" OC. Looks pretty bad but no frameskipping. Also works with 1440 vertical active pixels. Because i'm limited to 330MHz I need to use terrible horizontal values to keep the pixel clock in range; other monitors might not have this issue.

That is all of the relevant information I can remember for now, I might edit it later.

The most relevant finding out of all of this is the issue regarding instant mode not working in most display modes and the maximum pixel clock differing from on and off values. It makes me wonder whether this is an isolated issue/bug/limitation with the very old benqs or if it is also true for any newer models too. If it true for newer models too it is possible that the overclocks people are achieving here are actually with instant mode OFF rather than on and would be pointless because if you have it disabled the monitor has much higher input lag and is essentially unusable. I imagine it is not the case, but it is worth investigating for sure.

Kran

Post by Kran » 16 Feb 2022, 19:18

I cannot get any of the tools to dismiss the Oor popup, not either version of OorBuster, SoftMCCS, or hleV's older AntiOutOfRange tool.
I'm using an XL2411P, which is incompatible with the S-Switch so I can't do that bypass.

d3ssorion

Post by d3ssorion » 19 Feb 2022, 12:21

Hello, I overclocked my xl2411p through the display port to 200Hz without degrading the picture quality, and also keep the display scalling. 8 bit color works without artifacts.
The only problem that I could not overcome is non-working ama. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm used to this setting and can't play without it.
Who could not overcome 150Hz on xl2411p - turn off the ama, save gamer preset and use OOR Buster by Chopper1337.

Here are my settings:
1280 960
24 3
32 5
80 10
136 18
1416 978

popoyPH

Post by popoyPH » 19 Mar 2022, 07:06

Here's mine :D

Alienware M15R5 USB-C DP to DP 1.4
XL2411P rev. 00-123-BA November 2018

ThaSome

Post by ThaSome » 29 Mar 2022, 19:34

Hi, I've tried to OC my BenQ XL2411Z with the firmware v4, but I'm actually using a Display Port to DVI-D/Dual Active Adapter (CA-1010 CLUB3D Adapter), but I'm not able to send DDC/CI commands through this adapter due to the cable might not have the connection for DDC/CI commands as being Display Port, so I can't use Oorbuster or softMCCS because all this tweaks use this signal commands.

I've not been able to use Blur Busters Facility to modify the AMA / Strobe due to this.

As I'm still in withdrawal period, if it's necessary I don't mind to buy another screen or get an HDMI adapter to DVI-D/Dual Active,
because I really want to squeeze the juice of my screen to get +144 Hz or sell this one.

What would you guys do in my case? Can someone help me ? Thank you a lot!!! 🙂

UnnamedPlayer

Post by UnnamedPlayer » 26 Apr 2022, 12:13

Have a problem, my Benq 2720z can't get past 179hz custom resolution, anything more than that results in black screen and it reverting back to previous 'working' resolution after couple of seconds.

Here are my monitor specs from factory menu (not sure if needed) :
model name: xl2720z
Vender: QISDA
Panel: AUO M270HTN01.0
Scaler: MST 8556T
F/W Version: V005-20141205
Stroby duty: 030
STrobe phase: 000
Single stribe: on

And those are the nvidia settings with which i could achieve 179hz

Tried following guide from 1st post and couple other suggested settings for 200hz, 240hz etc from the topic - same black screen.

Is this a firmware (v005 = v5 if my understanding is right?) issue ? any ideas if i can go past 179hz on my monitor somehow?.

I use vention displayport 1.4 cable so shouldn't be a cable issue either.

[Moderator edit -- fixed image embedding]