Sony Bravia [overclocking / Motionflow]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Ahigh

Re: Sony Bravia

Post by Ahigh » 04 Jan 2014, 14:56

I just updated the firmware and tested. 1280x720@120hz is "not supported" according to the message on the screen when I try to send it that resolution.

The set did take slightly higher rates on 1080p, but it was simply frame-skipping every extra frame given to it. So it's of no use at all.

The fastest that the display can take data from the computer is 60hz.

1nfinite

Post by 1nfinite » 06 Jan 2014, 09:48

Well I went ahead & got the 905 & is a pretty decent TV I must say.

Games do seem a lot more responsive but I couldn't get on with the Impulse setting flicker.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 06 Jan 2014, 12:33

If you want the backlight always on, you might consider a Seiki @ 120Hz. But you will probably find games easier to play once you get to a certain skill level even if the flicker bothers you. It's not just a visual thing. But it's interesting that some may prefer to have zero flicker and blur instead of zero motion blur and flicker.

Poynton discusses the tradeoff and that's why controlling the pulse width of the backlight is desirable to reduce flicker enough to be tolerable while still reducing smearing as well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2014, 14:50

1nfinite wrote:Well I went ahead & got the 905 & is a pretty decent TV I must say.
How do you find the lag? Input lag of several recent Sony is pretty low in Game Mode, so it's a good favourite of console gamers.
1nfinite wrote:Games do seem a lot more responsive but I couldn't get on with the Impulse setting flicker.
The 60Hz flicker is why I would really like to see the world standardize on 120Hz for video and console games -- then we can easily do pure strobe approaches without needing to use interpolation.

That said, this should be adjustable (e.g. longer duty cycle, decay effect, etc). Strobe backlights on gaming computer monitors are often at 100Hz+ so you don't notice obvious flicker on those. But consoles don't run at more than 60Hz. So therein lies the conundrum.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Nocta

Re: Sony Bravia [overclocking / Motionflow]

Post by Nocta » 23 Aug 2014, 17:45

Seems like the "new" Sony KDL-50W805B is supporting MotionFlow Impulse with an amazing 3200:1 contrast; a Delta E of 2,5; a gamma of 2,2; a color temperature of 6460K and a response time of 13ms (without the Impulse mode)!
It's a VA panel with a screen size of 50" available in Europe for 900€!

Best panel for 60hz black strobing if I'm not mistaken! :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Aug 2014, 21:48

Thanks for letting us know!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hunyeti

Post by hunyeti » 11 Nov 2014, 13:27

Hi!
I just bought a SONY KDL-50W828b TV, is there any way to send any higher refresh rate than 60hz?
It seems it doesn't accept any non standard refresh rates, only 60,50,30,25,24.

Splatoon

Post by Splatoon » 03 Feb 2015, 09:32

Hello guys, been trying to do my blurbusting homework in anticipation of a new TV, and I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with overclocking either the Sony KDL-50W800b or the KDL-50W700b. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, but reading the overclocking guide it was suggested that TVs with Active 3D have a better success rate, so I thought the 50W800b might be a good choice. At the same time, the 50W700b is by all accounts identical save for the lack of 3D, so if if overclocking isn't really an option and/or I can do it without the 3D features, I'd like to save a a couple of hundred bucks. Any feedback/info would be appreciated!

pinobot

Post by pinobot » 04 Feb 2015, 04:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The main downside is the plasma-like / CRT-like 60Hz flicker when you enable "Impulse".

That's the tradeoff, in exchange for getting plasma-like / CRT-like motion clarity without using interpolation. Which makes it look great on 60fps video game sources.

The good thing is that it's easy to turn on/off this mode. Enjoy flicker free operation (sample-and-hold), or enjoy blur-free strobing. You can't turn off a plasma or CRT's flicker, like you can with LCD.
I have a 47W805A and if i connect the computer and i create a 50Hz profile in the graphics card driver than the strobe flickering stops.

Splatoon

Post by Splatoon » 05 Feb 2015, 14:23

Damn, looks like the Spring Festival Sale is on, so I think I may just bite the bullet on the W800B and give it a whirl. That's what extended warranties are for right? Suppose it'll be ramen for the rest of the month, but damn if that thing doesn't look sa-weet.