Overclocking over DP on 34" Ultrawide curve?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
kodachrome

Overclocking over DP on 34" Ultrawide curve?

Post by kodachrome » 18 Oct 2014, 04:41

Was running 3x 27" QNIX at 100Hz and decided to try out the new LG Ultrawide 34" Curve (LG 34UC97-S). Its got DP, HDMI and Thunderbolt inputs so I wasnt expecting much success but wanted to give it a shot.

With the QNIX's I was pushing even the DP output at 100Hz (via the 330MHz DP to DVI adapter every one here recommends). However with the 34" LG, I cant get Windows to register anything over 60Hz. Its completely ignoring everything I set in CRU.

http://emsai.net/projects/widescreen/bandwidth/
3440x1440 @ 60Hz is only 312Mhz / 7.5Gbits a second. The DP port is a 1.2 meaning its capable of 15Gbits.

Whats my point of restriction? Is TB any use for pushing the Hz up?

Edmond

Re: Overclocking over DP on 34" Ultrawide curve?

Post by Edmond » 18 Oct 2014, 17:56

Ive read in some other forums somewhere that a guy got his 34" widescreen to 64hz.

You will never get something like a 100hz on that monitor. Just dont bother... 2-3hz increas is NOT worth it.
The koreans overclockable models are just 1 specific model that is used for all those different monitors.

Unfortunatelly going to have to wait for some new IPS or VA tech to get 100+hz widescreens. I know it sucks ass, but we should be grateful that the monitor industry is moving at all.

kodachrome

Re: Overclocking over DP on 34" Ultrawide curve?

Post by kodachrome » 29 Oct 2014, 03:22

I got it to 62Hz.. lol. Two oddities worth mentioning:

- If you move Front Porch, Sync width from defaults nothing appears at all in Windows as selectable other than stock Hz refresh. Not sure on the mechanism at play here.
- The monitor has a setting for DisplayPort 1.2 hidden in its menu.. enabling it causes a loud clicking every 8sec then screen blanks out if run at 60Hz. At 50Hz its ok. This seems completely counter intuitive as DP 1.2 has more bandwidth not less. GFX card is a crossfire R9 290.