Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Curi0

Re: Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Post by Curi0 » 16 Apr 2018, 23:24

How did you unlock the pixel clock since AMD pixel clock patcher doesn't work on my laptop.I can do 106hz with no artifacts after cleaning the video cable contacts with isopropyl alcohol (previously it would glitch when too much action is on the screen). If I try anything with a pixel clock higher than 162mhz the resolution doesn't appear

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Apr 2018, 14:32

Curi0 wrote:How did you unlock the pixel clock since AMD pixel clock patcher doesn't work on my laptop.I can do 106hz with no artifacts after cleaning the video cable contacts with isopropyl alcohol (previously it would glitch when too much action is on the screen). If I try anything with a pixel clock higher than 162mhz the resolution doesn't appear
What resolution is your panel? Did you also try a lower resolution?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

evilhf

Post by evilhf » 07 Nov 2018, 11:32

Hi, I wonder if there is an overclock on benq xl2420z monitor.
It comes locked in the factory, the maximum I can and 145hz.
If it rises more it shows (out of range).
Is there any way to change the monitor firmware?
Edit EDID ?
Has anyone tried?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Nov 2018, 15:11

Even if we can reprogram the firmware, the highest it can go will probably be not much higher, due to cable bandwidth limitations.

That said, lower resolutions at higher Hz may work, though with a lot of effort (costing more than the cost of a new monitor) it may be able to overclock to approximately 180.

Ironically -- it is much easier to overclock a "dumb" (few smart electronics, single port) 60Hz laptop LCD to 180Hz, than it is to overclock modern tech-filled 144Hz monitors (e.g. strobe backlight, VRR, multiport DisplayPort+HDMI+DP etc) to 180Hz. The overclockable Korean monitors of yesteryear often had only a single port. Fewer weak links for an overclock to fail.

Panels often aren't the weak link in overclocking (though quality do degrade, but more analog-ly) -- it's the electronics. The scaler/TCON, drivers, etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

evilhf

Post by evilhf » 08 Nov 2018, 18:19

Thanks for laying your time Chief Blur Buster.
I already have an advanced knowledge in electronics.
I even opened my xl2420z, removed the eeprom spi-flash MX25L1606E, saved the original firmware that was V2 with a CH341A recorder, in case you have a problem.
Then I recorded the V4 firmware on the monitor and everything worked perfectly.
If I could get 180hz I would be very happy.
I searched for the datasheet of MST8556T and found nowhere.
In fact it does not seem to be a limitation of the scaler chip or cable, I believe it is a lock via firmware itself.
But in the programming part I have little knowledge.
I do not know where to start, if in fact I have to modify the main memory MX25L1606E, or just the EDID that is recorded in another eeprom 24x ...
So little is the program that edits the data.
Does anyone have a light ??

kyube

Post by kyube » 23 Jun 2021, 11:51

not sure if i should be necroing this thread, but, it's the only laptop oc related one
i've managed to oc my elitebook's 8570p AUO13ED panel (1920x1080 tft lcd, tn) to 100hz on 1080p in an attempt to reduce/negate PWM, but to no avail (even though my panel brightness is at 100% in windows)
120hz seems to display, but my picture gets divided in 4 rectangles and its pretty skewed/unusable

kyube

Post by kyube » 07 Oct 2021, 12:30

I just did a 240hz OC on my AUO13ED panel on my Elitebook 8570p but I have some scalar issues it seems? I am not frameskipping tho, I'll post some pics:
test video of 220 (bad testufo i think lol):
https://youtu.be/H0vGvGwdYME video (I have PWM on 100% brightness for some reason that strobes at around 220hz, so this is possibly why the testufos are this very clean, as Chief mentioned in one of his single-strobe vs multi-strobe PWM posts)

frameskip verification at 240hz and testufos at 240hz (hopefully did it better, did a few just in case):
https://mega.nz/file/WbgGUDwJ#B05A35mfD ... rsavyob_5U

I managed to display 360hz @ 540p too, trying out frameskip test as we speak.
EDIT: I also managed to display 400hz, but I just cannot get it to sync up for a frameskip test, any help?