Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
shadman

Re: Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Post by shadman » 21 Jan 2014, 04:17

I know you posted the model of the laptop, but DV7 is just a series, and has a few generations to it. Would you mind posting the full model number? If not at the bottom right of the screen, it should be on the bottom of the laptop.

I'm considering getting one of these to mess around with myself if I can find it locally.

click4dylan

Post by click4dylan » 06 Apr 2014, 21:51

I have successfully gotten my DV7 6b56nr to overclock to 103 Hz using the Custom Resolution Utility, but if I add any refresh rates higher than 103Hz they do not show up in windows at all.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is? I'm really getting tired of rebooting it which takes ages since my laptop has a slow HDD

Edit: found out this is almost hitting the 165 MHz limit of single link dvi/hdmi. Going to try the ATI driver patch.

Edit #2: ati pixel clock patcher doesn't seem to allow any higher still.
But I noticed that if I use 103 Hz, the screen seems to show scanlines and has a feint ringing noise. 100 Hz works fine

fateswarm

Post by fateswarm » 09 Apr 2014, 06:52

Hey I have a dv7 (one with an i7 sandy bridge, 17''). But I was afraid I may fry the GPU or something. And if those things fry, you know, no point fixing anything, they are practically a flat motherboard that is irreplaceable in a cost effective way. Though it does have a "hibernate when paniced" mode for high temp so it could be safe..

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Apr 2014, 07:32

fateswarm wrote:Hey I have a dv7 (one with an i7 sandy bridge, 17''). But I was afraid I may fry the GPU or something. And if those things fry, you know, no point fixing anything, they are practically a flat motherboard that is irreplaceable in a cost effective way. Though it does have a "hibernate when paniced" mode for high temp so it could be safe..
Raising the pixel clock does not affect the GPU at all. The GPU continues to run at the exact same clocks and voltages as before; nothing changes. So it's not possible to damage it in any way; it's totally unaffected.

A higher pixel clock only affects the monitor and the TMDS transmitter of the graphics board (if you can call it that on laptops.) The monitor can be damaged (although it seems that this is very unlikely with LCD monitors). The chances of damaging the TMDS transmitter are virtually zero. Also, the TMDS does not really get any hotter with higher pixel clocks.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

fateswarm

Post by fateswarm » 09 Apr 2014, 08:15

Hey I went up to 120hz on mine (dv7-5000) but it seemed pointless to try above it or around it since I was getting some horizontal line artifacts, like abstract white lines at random parts of the screen. At 100 it seemed fine. I tried only 180 after than but it went blank. I reverted it to 60 for now since it's not the main screen anyway for now.

On an unrelated note, my IPS screen LG 24EA54 seems to go to 76Hz in a very stable notion (needed reduced LCD mode on CRU app) with no artifacts at all. At 77 and up it goes blank and hud warns it wants a lower mode.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2014, 11:47

fateswarm wrote:Hey I went up to 120hz on mine (dv7-5000) but it seemed pointless to try above it or around it since I was getting some horizontal line artifacts, like abstract white lines at random parts of the screen. At 100 it seemed fine. I tried only 180 after than but it went blank. I reverted it to 60 for now since it's not the main screen anyway for now.
Thanks for providing this feedback!

Seems like there is a wide variance between the DV7's, either specific sub-models, or panel variances.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kamill

Post by kamill » 11 Apr 2014, 11:05

Nice work!
Today I tried to overclock my laptop's LCD. It's Toshiba Satellite L750D-1F3. It works stable at 110Hz (at 130Hz too, but with sync errors on testufo.com - what does it mean?) Unfortunately, my laptop can't handle 110fps at any good game :( so this is unusable...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2014, 17:29

kamill wrote:(at 130Hz too, but with sync errors on testufo.com - what does it mean?)
It means the browser is too slow to do perfect refresh-rate synchronized motion at the higher Hz.
- Try temporarily disabling power management and/or plugging in your laptop. Max out your CPU and GPU.
- Try a different browser (Chrome vs Opera)
See http://www.testufo.com/browser.html for TestUFO system requirements.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2014, 17:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
kamill wrote:(at 130Hz too, but with sync errors on testufo.com - what does it mean?)
It means the browser is too slow to do perfect refresh-rate synchronized motion at the higher Hz.
- Try temporarily disabling power management and/or plugging in your laptop. Max out your CPU and GPU.
- Try a different browser (Chrome vs Opera)
See http://www.testufo.com/browser.html for TestUFO system requirements.
Refresh rate overclocking on a laptop, will mainly be useful for smooth scrolling in web browsers, etc (via arrow keys); make sure to enable smooth scrolling.

kamill

Post by kamill » 13 Apr 2014, 08:54

Is it good?