Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 11:03

lol37 wrote:Hello all,
today i discovered that awesomely, i could overclock my cheap TN laptop monitor which his default frequency ( and max according to windows ) is 60hz
i could easily go beyond 200hz ( without hardware modding ), the max i reach is about 210hz, after that it was black with a white stripe scan pattern (i can send screenshots as a proof) thought there were some artifacts
As i said it surely might be in the best case 5ms GTG monitor screen, so monitors manufacturers deliberaly flange their vertical frequency
my question is : does all monitors could be modded in a way to remove this "hardware" (if it could be called like this) limit ? ( as cirthix did )
if a 5ms GTG laptop or worse could go beyond 200hz, i dont know why there's this 144hz boundary for 1ms GTG ! ( maybe for warranty/pixel artifacts ? )
it would help a lot for old fast paced games which high fps isnt uncommon, coupled with a decent strobing, it would require less strobe brightness for the same persistence
lol37 wrote:here are videos, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODFZknRK1I ( 180hz )
OMG (jaw drop) -- this is true 180Hz. You're not frame skipping!

phpBB [video]

I just took a frame grab of this YouTube, and yep, true 180Hz. No frame skipping. Your laptop LCD is displaying 180Hz.

And your 200Hz overclock works too (Even though testufo failed before the display did!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 11:29

lol37,

What you did was a Blur Busters first -- you discovered an LCD with a 3:1 overclocking margin; 60Hz overclocking all the way to 180Hz and beyond. Most LCDs can only overclock up to 2:1 or slightly beyond, such as the QNIX QX2710, but you've found an LCD with a greater than 3:1 overclocking margin!

Your 200Hz overclock looks successful, too. It looks like it is simply pushing the performance limits of TestUFO -- try shrinking the TestUFO window to a smaller window, then you may be able to do 200Hz frameskipping verification more easily.

Can you please tell me the specs, since you said you did no hardware modifications?
-> Which model?
-> Which laptop?
-> Are you overclocking directly in the laptop?
-> Are you connecting an external computer to the LCD?

Details, please!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 17 Jan 2014, 11:31

inb4 eDP

slick8

Post by slick8 » 17 Jan 2014, 12:55

How is this done?, is there a tut?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 12:59

slick8 wrote:How is this done?, is there a tut?
Blur Busters, being "everything better than 60Hz" (overclocking, gsync, lightboost, etc) is currently developing new overclocking tutorials that will be published in the near future.

1. Pick a favourite custom resolution utility:
NVIDIA Custom Resolution Utility (easiest, no reboot needed)
ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility (universal, need reboot)
PowerStrip Utility (for legacy systems)
2. Open the utility, set refresh rate to a higher refresh rate. Test the refresh rate.
3. Keep raising the refresh rate until it starts glitching or blacks out. Then back off.
4. Verify it works without frame skipping at http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping
5. If it isn't frame skipping, your refresh rate overclock is successful!

If you plan to overclock 1440p, you may need to unlock your drivers using http://www.monitortests.com so you're not hitting against your drivers dot clock limit. This allows you to overclock 1440p and 4K more significantly than you would otherwise, by pushing DVI cables beyond their limits. The use of Monoprice DVI cables, or other thick premium DVI cables, will help you overclock more, provided your monitor does not have a safety lock on refresh rate preventing you from overclocking.

Most displays with safety locks, won't let you overclock. But a few displays do let you easily overclock a lot (e.g. QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2, X-Star DP2710, Catleap 2B, Overlord Tempest X270OC). That said, if far less motion blur is very important, strobe backlights are superior to overclocking (LightBoost has far less motion blur than a 180Hz overclock). However, you can get improvement in motion fluidity, and far less input lag with overclocking!

lol37

Post by lol37 » 17 Jan 2014, 13:01

Q83Ia7ta wrote:inb4 eDP
what is EDP ?

I did not even unlocked my nvidia display driver, maybe thats why i cant go futher than 210hz
Last edited by lol37 on 17 Jan 2014, 13:07, edited 2 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 13:03

lol37 wrote:
embedded DisplayPort.
1. Pull laptop LCD out of laptop
2. Connect DisplayPort cable to the eDP connector of Laptop LCD
3. Overclock to 180Hz from desktop
4. Enjoy!

But can you please tell me the specs, since you said you did no hardware modifications?
-> What is your laptop model?
-> Are you playing games directly in the laptop?

lol37

Post by lol37 » 17 Jan 2014, 13:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
lol37 wrote:
embedded DisplayPort.
1. Pull laptop LCD out of laptop
2. Connect DisplayPort cable to the eDP connector of Laptop LCD
3. Overclock to 180Hz from desktop
4. Enjoy!

But can you please tell me the specs, since you said you did no hardware modifications?
-> What is your laptop model?
-> Are you playing games directly in the laptop?
1) HP dv7 pavillon (it's quite a random desktop laptop one)
2) yes
3) yes and it's awesomely smooth, but i still prefer playing with 180hz, it has much less artifacts

it's quite an old laptop so i think i can't detach the monitor out of the laptop and it even doesn't have DisplayPort...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 13:18

lol37 wrote:it's quite an old laptop so i think i can't detach the monitor out of the laptop and it even doesn't have DisplayPort...
Excellent!
An unmodified HP Pavillon dv7 laptop, doing confirmed 180Hz refresh rate.

It's quite noteworthy that a lot of laptops with no DisplayPort, actually has an internal eDP connector. It's quite ironic, though. However, if the laptop is old, then you won't be able to do the eDP trick.

Does anyone definitively know if HP Pavillion DP7 uses eDP for LCD? If so, I might buy one off eBay and connect the LCD to the desktop. I'd love to have a 180Hz LCD that works out-of-the-box.

lol37

Post by lol37 » 17 Jan 2014, 13:31

i would still consider modding a XL2411/XL2420Z and then strobe it to 200+hz, it'll show a much better effect ( GTG is enough small to allow a blank period )
also a remarkable thing : if i dont plug it on battery charger my pc starts to ramdomly immediate shutdown...
in the news you could also say that i can go well beyond 200hz