Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Haste

Re: Successful Overclock 60Hz -> 180Hz of Laptop LCD!

Post by Haste » 13 Apr 2014, 11:21

kamill wrote:Nice work!
Today I tried to overclock my laptop's LCD. It's Toshiba Satellite L750D-1F3. It works stable at 110Hz (at 130Hz too, but with sync errors on testufo.com - what does it mean?) Unfortunately, my laptop can't handle 110fps at any good game :( so this is unusable...
It's still usable for desktop, web browsing, etc
Better fluidity and less motion blur than at 60Hz
Try simply dragging windows around or move the mouse pointer. Isn't it satisfying? ;)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

oscarkool

Post by oscarkool » 18 Dec 2014, 05:22

Does anyone know if this is possible with laptops that have those stupid intel hd graphics with nvidia? The model used here has an AMD chipset I believe. The laptop I have is nvidia. And for some reason, Intel doesn't allow custom refresh rates or overrides with their chipsets.

So if anyone has been able to do this with these intel hd graphic combos, any info would be greatly appreciated because I get migraines from my 60hz. None of those tools such as toasty, powerstrip, nvidia custom resolutions, etc. work with the HD graphics chipsets. I hate intel with a passion!

kamill

Post by kamill » 18 Dec 2014, 07:14

You can try this in Nvidia control panel. Add a resolution with higher refresh rate.

oscarkool

Post by oscarkool » 18 Dec 2014, 19:42

I don't have that option, it's really stupid. Because I have that horrible Intel optimus crap, I can only change resolutions and refresh rates in the Intel control panel. And of course, Intel thinks anything above 60hz is exceeding the bandwidth when this just isn't true. I hate Intel with a passion.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2014, 13:53

oscarkool wrote:None of those tools such as toasty, powerstrip, nvidia custom resolutions, etc. work with the HD graphics chipsets. I hate intel with a passion!
To get custom resolutions and custom refresh rates working, you must use the Intel Custom Resolution tool feature to get custom resolutions on NVIDIA chipsets. I've seen 100 and 120Hz successfully used this way -- for external displays (not the internal laptop LCD).

That's because the graphics dotclock is piped from NVIDIA to Intel's graphics output. So custom resolutions needs to be adjusted via the Intel chip.

Alas, it will only allow you to overclock external displays.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

splango

Post by splango » 29 Dec 2014, 22:51

For everyone who has managed to OC their notebook panels.

Please please! let us know the full model number of the machines.
Or even better the Panel model number and if it has display port connection :)

Been searching for option of smaller 3 X Surround 100hz Small + Panels

dired

Post by dired » 27 Nov 2017, 11:03

Now I don't know the up to date status but I would believe that everyone still wants to know "safe candidates" for a possible >100Hz (or around 100Hz) overclock because I haven't found a good list anywhere on the forums.

comemierda has made a forum post: "Cheap display overclockable to 100-120 hz". viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3406

I'm about to write a list of some display's I've found there, I hope we can get a bit of discussion active there.

Zibri

Post by Zibri » 23 Dec 2017, 02:27

Hi there!
I have 2 laptops which almost have the same monitor.
One has the LG LP173WF4-SPF1 (http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/LP173WF4-SPF1.pdf)
the other has LG LP173WF4-SPF5
The first laptop has intel/nvidia 970M combo non optimus (bios switches them at boot)
The other one has intel/nvidia 1050 in optimus mode (both active)
On the first one I used nvidia control panel to add resolutions and there was no problem (up to 118 Hz)
On this one I added all resolutions with CRU but windows 10 (intel driver) show only between 20 and 100 Hz.
Clearly there is a limit in the driver itself somewhere...
Any help would be apreciated.
To the guy asking about optimus and going over 60hz, it's simple: download CRU the add 1920x1080 @ 50/75/80/100 Hz resolutions.
Quit the app and reboot.
Then select from windows display properties or from the intel graphics settings utility.
P.S.
The intel graphics setting utility says "maximum bandwidth exceeded" if I try to add ANY resolution (even 1920x1080@50 Hz) so don't use that.

Zibri

Post by Zibri » 23 Dec 2017, 06:13

I checked. eDP has a maximum bandwidth of 240Mhz... hence the limitation.
Moreover, I tested the maximum vertical refresh (at lower resolution) and it seems to be about 108 mhz. So it's not worth the hassle.
This monitor seems very fine even at lower refresh rates... it flickers noticeably at 20Hz but way less at 30 and up. 40 Hz is a very nice setting for low power mode.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2017, 11:35

Zibri wrote:I checked. eDP has a maximum bandwidth of 240Mhz... hence the limitation.
Moreover, I tested the maximum vertical refresh (at lower resolution) and it seems to be about 108 mhz. So it's not worth the hassle.
This monitor seems very fine even at lower refresh rates... it flickers noticeably at 20Hz but way less at 30 and up. 40 Hz is a very nice setting for low power mode.
It's interesting to see that the laptop variable refresh support (low power Hz mode) provides a conduit of massive overclocking margins in some laptop LCDs.

One thing you could attempt to do is use the smallest possible Front/Back porches. You might be able to get to 115 Hz instead of 108 Hz that way, by making your blanking intervals almost nil. Try repeatedly halving your Horizontal porch/sync numbers until it stops syncing. Then do the same for Vertical. Do this, all while increasing your refresh rate to max-out the 240 MHz Pixel Clock.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!