Overclocking a Active DisplayPort Adapter?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
SkOrPn

Overclocking a Active DisplayPort Adapter?

Post by SkOrPn » 17 Jun 2015, 19:02

Hello all,

I have a Tempest 270OC type monitor I built myself using all the exact same components. It has only DVI input of course and runs at 120hz wonderfully. All year I have been saving up for the new AMD flagship Fury X video cards and well it is finally here.

Anyway, today while reading up on specs, checking for clearances etc, I noticed in the images the video card has no DVI port on it. I'm thinking to myself wtf? I'm at a loss to understand why they would release a flagship card without at least one DVI port??? I read AMD's Fury X PDF, and sure enough their so called "Flagship" video cards will now require an Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter if you have one of these DVI only displays. I don't know what to do now, other then buying into NVIDIA.

Several options I have. One, I have the original DisplayPort electronics that give me a DP port, however it is "as far as I know" only 60HZ capable. And two, do I spend the extra money on a $100 active adapter and hope it over clocks to 120HZ, or do I install the DisplayPort electronics and go back to 60HZ gaming?... YUK! Or do I save the $100 AND save the extra work swapping electronics and just drop my love of AMD cards and buy the obviously awesome NVIDIA 980ti?

Clearly the new Fury X is amazing with its HBM and small size, and I really really want it, but not if it needs expensive adapters just to work, which may not even work properly anyway (I just do not know anything about adapters).

Anyone know of an adapter that works at 120hz and isn't stupidly insane at $100 cost?

RLBURNSIDE

Re: Overclocking a Active DisplayPort Adapter?

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 18 Jun 2015, 00:41

One would think that third parties will make AMD cards and one would feature a DVI port.

DVI is archaic and can't handle 4K or super high refresh rates anyway, so that's probably why AMD decided to drop it on the Fury. These new cards are meant for high resolution gaming or at least 1440p / 144hz.

They probably ran the numbers and figured losing a few "I need DVI for my old LCD" clients would cost less than the cost-saving benefits of dropping bulky legacy adapters.

SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn » 18 Jun 2015, 02:14

RLBURNSIDE wrote:One would think that third parties will make AMD cards and one would feature a DVI port.

DVI is archaic and can't handle 4K or super high refresh rates anyway, so that's probably why AMD decided to drop it on the Fury. These new cards are meant for high resolution gaming or at least 1440p / 144hz.

They probably ran the numbers and figured losing a few "I need DVI for my old LCD" clients would cost less than the cost-saving benefits of dropping bulky legacy adapters.
Old? Its a 2013 built Super IPS beautiful LG panel in a late 2014 dated display. There is no such thing as a "Old 120HZ 1440p IPS Display" lol. And DVI has the exact same abilities as DP in regards to a 1440p display. DP brings nothing what so ever to 1440p, it is only good for resolutions over 2560x1600p such as 4K and above.

99% of all gaming monitors in use today still have DVI inputs and the point of such a card and a 1440p user isn't for 4K, if it was it would have had more memory on board. Its for pushing higher 1440p frame rates such as maintaining 120 fps at 120HZ, or trying to maintain the highest possible fps. There is nothing wrong with DVI on 1600p and below.

Anyway, I asked what was the best course for me to go, not if someone would like to argue about the Pros and Cons of certain display technologies. I will wait to see if someone releases a Fury X with a DVI port so I can continue to use my new 120hz gaming monitor. Thanks

kodachrome

Post by kodachrome » 19 Jul 2015, 19:37

I ditched AMD too (and the lack of HDMI 2.0 was a factor) but you can get DVI to DP adapters that will run around 100hz at 1440p. Something like this (330mhz pixel clock, for 3D):
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produc ... e.828.html

I had/have one and I ran 3 QNIX 1440p displays, one of them on this. Bear in mind however it limits the overclock slightly (about 10Hz) and also introduces some minor lag. I got sick of AMD's many hidden "gotcha's" and switched over to a Titan X, which like the 980Ti has a DVI port if I want still. Unlike AMD cards however it also has HDMI 2.0 ports should that need arise.

PS: Do you have any posts or links on your monitor "build".. sounds interesting?!

SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn » 19 Jul 2015, 20:22

Yes, after much research I have decided to go with the 980Ti, and just water cool it with a 3rd party full cover block. Yeah HDMI 2.0 and the included DVI port were the deciding factors to go with NVIDIA this time around.

Oh and absolutely, here is my build link below. I went this route because last year I could not afford to buy a 27" 1440p monitor from the Likes of Dell or Asus or even HP for that matter, not to mention I couldn't even find a 27" IPS that would do 120hz. So, I decided to stagnate the build by purchasing the parts over a few months time, panel, electronics, power supply & DVI cable etc. Anyway, here is the build.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1521614/buil ... -under-250

Its not perfect, but by my calculation, 5ms + 120hz + Grade A+ LG IPS at a total cost of $250 or so = a mighty fine job no matter how you look at it.