Successful overclocks on Samsung S34E790C?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Redmaus

Successful overclocks on Samsung S34E790C?

Post by Redmaus » 01 May 2017, 21:59

Hi guys, new user here. I am wondering if you can overclock a Samsung S34E790C ultrawide to around 70 or more hertz. I read on places that people got color shift and other things at 61hz but on user said someone got it to a stable 85 hz in this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemaste ... s/cuysbwg/

Anyone here have any experience with this monitor? I have only overclocked my Asus vs278p to 70hz so I know a little about OC'ing monitors but never a VA or ultrawide 1440p one.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Successful overclocks on Samsung S34E790C?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 May 2017, 23:12

It's very hit-and-miss on that model, from all the reports. What I recommend is experimenting.

Test using a Custom Resolution Utility, and make sure it passes the TestUFO Frame Skipping test.

If you want reliable overclocking on an ultrawide: these models can be easily overclocked to 100Hz:
- Acer Predator X4
- AOC AGON AG352UCG
- ASUS ROG PG348Q
- HP OMEN X 35

All of them are 3440x1440 and support overclocking up to 100Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Redmaus

Post by Redmaus » 01 May 2017, 23:27

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It's very hit-and-miss on that model, from all the reports. What I recommend is experimenting.

Test using a Custom Resolution Utility, and make sure it passes the TestUFO Frame Skipping test.

If you want reliable overclocking on an ultrawide: these models can be easily overclocked to 100Hz:
- Acer Predator X4
- AOC AGON AG352UCG
- ASUS ROG PG348Q
- HP OMEN X 35

All of them are 3440x1440 and support overclocking up to 100Hz.
I already bought it, I was wondering if there is any way to increase my chances. I notice there are more advanced settings in cru and nvidia control panel like pixel clock, interlacing, and a bunch of other stuff. Could learning about those settings and tweaking them improve my chances of a stable 80 or 70 hz?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 May 2017, 03:02

You don't need to know anything about those. All you need is select standard LCD timings, native lcd timings, or reduced timings (try them one by one) and enter the refresh rate.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Redmaus

Post by Redmaus » 02 May 2017, 11:01

RealNC wrote:You don't need to know anything about those. All you need is select standard LCD timings, native lcd timings, or reduced timings (try them one by one) and enter the refresh rate.
Just wondering why are they there then and what do they do? Also would OC'ing on intel graphics or an actual card like amd or nvidia make a difference?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 May 2017, 13:06

Redmaus wrote:
RealNC wrote:You don't need to know anything about those. All you need is select standard LCD timings, native lcd timings, or reduced timings (try them one by one) and enter the refresh rate.
Just wondering why are they there then and what do they do? Also would OC'ing on intel graphics or an actual card like amd or nvidia make a difference?
First, check out Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) Glossary to understand the "airplane cockpit worth of controls" that a CRU gives you.

Different monitors behave differently.

Many overclock better when you tighten the timings (Reduced blanking) as you raise the refresh rate. That allows you to raise the refresh rate a bit without increasing the dotclock much. But this is not a hard-and-fast rule. Some models need more time for synchronization signals to be able to raise the refresh rate, which means a few models overclock better if you don't reduce the blanking intervals. You may find situations where you can't overclock to 62.3Hz-65.9Hz but that one model of one panel run weirdly works at exactly 62.2Hz or 66Hz. Others are not picky at all and overclock smoothly and nicely upwards as picture quality temporarily degrades more and more (until you back off). Different monitors are sensitive to different things. It's a matter of experimentation.

Frame skipping is a common gotcha of overclocking, and that's what http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping is for. There's been situations where specific refresh rates frameskip but a slightly higher refresh rate stops frameskipping.

Regardless of what you do, if you see unpredictable Hz behaviour -- try testing a few Hzs above your blackout Hz, just to be sure you haven't hit a weird pothole in the continuum of available refresh rates.

If you do see a screenshot of somebody else's successfully working ToastyX CRU screen for the exact same monitor also helps. You can directly key in the exact same numbers, give it a try, and see if it works. You can also ask the successful 85Hz user for a screenshot of CRU for their overclocked settings. You can also try the same CRU settings except modify the refresh rate to a lower one too (75Hz, 80Hz, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

beanrod

Post by beanrod » 23 Jul 2018, 08:10

An old thread but I have the same screen and have some limited success not the 70+ hz that people are dreaming of. But I have managed to get 65hz with sharp text still... yes nearly 10% is better than 0% haha

Set a custom res in my case I used the NVIDIA custom res utility.
increase the res until the text is blurred in my case it starts at 62hz... set it to manual
drop the horizontal and vertical total pixels until the text is sharp move up 1 hz and repeat until you cant go further.
this drops the pixel clock I found with my particular S34e790c that I could not excedd 330.30 MHz.

My final working settings were.
3440 x 1440
Horizontal Total Pixels 3507
Vertical Total Pixels 1449