Asus MG248Q Overclock

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
dadduu

Asus MG248Q Overclock

Post by dadduu » 04 Nov 2017, 08:33

I'd love to overclock this monitor to anything above 160Hz but i really have no clue what to do.
How should i proceed?
Gtx 970.

dadduu

Re: Asus MG248Q Overclock

Post by dadduu » 09 Dec 2017, 16:40

Bump

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Dec 2017, 22:34

Monitor overclocking can be difficult and different for every monitor. Trouble shooting what you're doing wrong can be a bitch over the internet as well. every monitor model can accepts different timings and trying to figure out what the monitor had locked down and doesn't can be a bitch if you're not the problem solving type of person.

But if you want to give it a go just read some forum post on monitor overclocking and see if you can understand it, it doesn't really have a step 1, step 2...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2017, 21:02

Yes.

Many monitors are extremely difficult to overclock by more than about 25%. It's only those few monitors that just ends up having wonderfully huge overclocking headroom, like these:
Also the yesteryear's Catleap 2B's and QNIX QX2710 monitors that overclocked to somewhere between 100-150Hz, depending on how good a monitor you got...

These fantastically super-huge overclocking headrooms of lore often only occurs on on very few displays, usually ones that had relatively simple electronics that were not even being pushed to their limits. Also, the less sophisticated the onscreen menu and features (VRR, strobing, etc) and more the firmware lets the signal passes through straight to the TCON (essentially real-time scanout), the more likely it is going to have massive overclocking headroom.

Today, unless you've got a great deal and wanted IPS or other attributes, it's much easier to just buy a monitor natively designed for 144Hz. You can get an Acer GN246HL for less than 195 bucks -- and even gain LightBoost motion blur reduction too! If you can buy something better, check out the monitor lists below.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

dadduu

Post by dadduu » 25 Dec 2017, 18:09

How is even possible, if i only change the monitor's product ID inside CRU from ACI24AE to ACI27F8 i can make it run 150hz? Otherwise it would not pass 144hz.
What's the reason?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jan 2018, 04:29

dadduu wrote:How is even possible, if i only change the monitor's product ID inside CRU from ACI24AE to ACI27F8 i can make it run 150hz? Otherwise it would not pass 144hz.
What's the reason?
If you created a mode in CRU and 144 Hz did not work:

Most 144Hz monitors need to run 144Hz with Reduced Blanking. It doesn't like 144Hz with default automatically-calculated (GTF) blanking.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!