Philips 50" 4K tv from Wal-Mart CAN do 120 HZ, but...

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Apone

Philips 50" 4K tv from Wal-Mart CAN do 120 HZ, but...

Post by Apone » 07 Nov 2017, 14:08

There is a small semi-transparent nag message that appears after a few seconds that reads "! Please change source resolution." and will not go away :(

The model of the TV is 50pfl5601_f7

I was originally attracted to the idea by https://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/ about getting your tv to display TRUE 120 hz from the pc to tv.

I originally became interested in the idea of higher frame rates bout a year or so back. I tried some of the high dollar stuff like Asus, but it seems I was plagued with dead pixels and things which ultimately lead to a return.

I was impressed by what I saw. You could say I'm a "believer" in higher REAL screen rates @ this point.

I sold the Sharp TV I had and decided to try out 4K, and got this TV at a decent price at Wally World.

Here's what all I've tried to make the nag message go away.
1. Menu - found nothing here.

2. Secret Service Menu - I found nothing here, and unfortunately got the TV trapped (accidentally) in a strange loop I just managed to get out of this morning.

3. Nvidia Control Panel - I'm able to create a new custom resolution of 1920x1080 @ 120 hz, and it takes it. I'm able to see and use the resolution in a game like Battlefield 4. All is fine except the nag message that won't go away:( When making the new resolution I set it to "Auto" because I honestly have no idea about front porch and back porch etc.

4. Toasty's Custom Resolution Utility - Again I was able to make a resolution of 1920x1080 @ 120 hz and set it to "reduced LCD", and used windows control to change to it, no effect.

I guess the next move is to try the Manual EDID override mentioned in the article. I'm not sure that would help this particular problem though.

Does anyone have any ideas to try? Thanks in advance!

Current setup
Intel core I7 2600K OCed to 4.5 ghz on water.
EVGA GTX 780 ti sc x2 (SLI).
Windows 7 x64 OS

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Philips 50" 4K tv from Wal-Mart CAN do 120 HZ, but...

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2017, 20:47

The nag message.... is tough to predict.

There are triggers in a monitor's firmware that varies from monitor to monitor, sometimes easy to dismiss, and sometimes impossible to dismiss.

try these, but no guarantees:
- Add/remove pixels from vertical sync or porch
- Try known 120Hz timings
- Try half vertical resolution (540p)
- Try 720p

Sometimes it takes a hack of the firmware to kill the nag message. Far beyond capabilities of most users, alas. Websites such as RTings also tells you which TVs support 120Hz (without issues) so they can help there too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!