Heavy blur even when overclocked

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
kazelone

Heavy blur even when overclocked

Post by kazelone » 27 Jun 2018, 13:17

Hello guys,

I am unsure where to post it so I'll post it here but feel free to move it / point me to the right direction if it is the wrong place.
I got a MSI GT-60 2PC laptop, with a 1080p panel (SDC324C according to CRU). It comes with a i7-4810hq / Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a Nvidia gtx 870m (nvidia optimus).

My issue with this laptop is that the screen is so blurry it's unusable for anything that isn't text editing. Since one of the kind of game I play a lot are rythm game, this is obviously very bad. However, even just any regular platformer feels slugish and bad.

I tried to overclock it through CRU and while higher refresh rate definitely feel smoother, the blur effects seems amplified, but since it's smoother, the end-result feel about the same in term of blurry-ness. Here are two TestUFO pictures, at 60hz and 96hz respectively :
60hz : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kMA1g7 ... NTb63/view
96hz : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fiEXji ... dA8xi/view

The 96hz OC is using "LCD Standard" timings in CRU.
Can manual settings of any kind help reduce this kind of blur, or other tweaks of any sort? As it is now this laptop is useless for any gaming at all...

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Heavy blur even when overclocked

Post by RealNC » 27 Jun 2018, 13:55

Nope. Nothing you can do. The panel has bad pixel response times. There's nothing you can do to affect it, unless the display has an OSD that allows you to raise the "overdrive" setting. Which on laptops I think is usually not a thing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Heavy blur even when overclocked

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jul 2018, 18:34

Overclocking can amplify ghosting artifacts -- it takes a lot of overdrive is heavily tweakable to compensate for overclocking ghosting-increase artifacts.

To a certain point, overclocking can look much better -- e.g. if ghosting increase is negligible. But some panels start ghosting massively. Not all panels are prone to this though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!