Overclocking 144hz to 240hz+ (LG 24GM79G-B)

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
yehaw

Overclocking 144hz to 240hz+ (LG 24GM79G-B)

Post by yehaw » 08 Jan 2019, 16:41

Hi, I recently got this monitor (LG 24GM79G-B) and pretty pleased with it. It's a native 1080p/144hz monitor. I was messing around and decided to overclock it, just to see if it would accept anything past 144hz, as I use to do this with older IPS panels and push 60hz to about 72-76hz. I even had an older 60hz IPS I was able to push to 108hz and it worked perfectly for 2 years before I finally upgraded to a native 144hz.

Now, I didn't expect it to work, but I got up to about 260hz before the image started becoming garbled with weird distortions, so I just dialed it back to 240hz and everything looks perfectly normal. I've done some testing and confirmed it doesn't frame skip, the mouse input feels a lot more responsive, swipes appear less blurry in motion, so it is indeed working. I even have the native 240hz 27" LG model next to it, and it looks and feels just as good when gaming on it.

The only issue I'm having, is the OSD keeps intermittently popping up saying out of range. The screen doesn't lose signal, it doesn't distort, it acts completely normal, minus the OSD 'Out of Range' message - I guess the firmware has this fail safe message in place? The message intermittently pops up and goes away on its own, but it never stops popping up - it's constant unless you go back to the native refresh.

I haven't used CRU and just used the nvidia control panel without custom timings. Wondering if anyone has any experience or input on this, as I'd like to get rid of this OSD message and use 240hz. Can't find anything on Google, so I'm going to assume I'm the first to discover it.

Notty_PT

Re: Overclocking 144hz to 240hz+ (LG 24GM79G-B)

Post by Notty_PT » 08 Jan 2019, 17:04

What?? Are you sure it isnt skipping?? Find it hard to believe a 144hz panel can go that high. About the osd thing I have no clue but search on the internet how to go on advanced/admin panel settings, there might be some option there.

It would be a massive letdown if the monitor goes up to 240hz and the osd thing cant be disabled! Maybe chief or RealNC can help you!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Jan 2019, 06:24

I have yet to find a way to get rid of that damn OSD notice on any monitor. It's just locked in the firmware with no toggle in the OSD setup or factory menu on most monitors. This notice has been the bane of the majority of display overclockers. I had monitors that could go higher, but they would pop up that notice if you try.

I always had to settle down to the maximum refresh and pixel clock that doesn't trigger the OSD. I would run a 60Hz display at 77Hz for example even though it could go to 90Hz otherwise, but 78Hz and higher would trigger the OSD pop-up.

To find the maximum refresh on a display, you can use a binary search approach (try a 100% OC, if that doesn't work, go 50% down, if it works go 25% up, if it doesn't go 25% down, then 12.5% up/down, etc.) Once you find the exact Hz that won't trigger the OSD, you then go up a bit (maybe 5Hz) and play with the timings to see if a reduced pixel clock or reduced vertical total helps.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 09 Jan 2019, 15:58

RealNC wrote:I have yet to find a way to get rid of that damn OSD notice on any monitor. It's just locked in the firmware with no toggle in the OSD setup or factory menu on most monitors. This notice has been the bane of the majority of display overclockers. I had monitors that could go higher, but they would pop up that notice if you try.

I always had to settle down to the maximum refresh and pixel clock that doesn't trigger the OSD. I would run a 60Hz display at 77Hz for example even though it could go to 90Hz otherwise, but 78Hz and higher would trigger the OSD pop-up.

To find the maximum refresh on a display, you can use a binary search approach (try a 100% OC, if that doesn't work, go 50% down, if it works go 25% up, if it doesn't go 25% down, then 12.5% up/down, etc.) Once you find the exact Hz that won't trigger the OSD, you then go up a bit (maybe 5Hz) and play with the timings to see if a reduced pixel clock or reduced vertical total helps.
But do you think that model can actually go up to 240hz from 144hz? Isn´t that a bit weird? I mean is a big jump!

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 22 Jan 2019, 09:55

yehaw wrote:Hi, I recently got this monitor (LG 24GM79G-B) and pretty pleased with it. It's a native 1080p/144hz monitor. I was messing around and decided to overclock it, just to see if it would accept anything past 144hz, as I use to do this with older IPS panels and push 60hz to about 72-76hz. I even had an older 60hz IPS I was able to push to 108hz and it worked perfectly for 2 years before I finally upgraded to a native 144hz.

Now, I didn't expect it to work, but I got up to about 260hz before the image started becoming garbled with weird distortions, so I just dialed it back to 240hz and everything looks perfectly normal. I've done some testing and confirmed it doesn't frame skip, the mouse input feels a lot more responsive, swipes appear less blurry in motion, so it is indeed working. I even have the native 240hz 27" LG model next to it, and it looks and feels just as good when gaming on it.

The only issue I'm having, is the OSD keeps intermittently popping up saying out of range. The screen doesn't lose signal, it doesn't distort, it acts completely normal, minus the OSD 'Out of Range' message - I guess the firmware has this fail safe message in place? The message intermittently pops up and goes away on its own, but it never stops popping up - it's constant unless you go back to the native refresh.

I haven't used CRU and just used the nvidia control panel without custom timings. Wondering if anyone has any experience or input on this, as I'd like to get rid of this OSD message and use 240hz. Can't find anything on Google, so I'm going to assume I'm the first to discover it.
Hi! I am bumping this to ask you if at a lower overclock (lets say 165hz) do you still get the osd out of range message? Thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Jan 2019, 19:46

Notty_PT wrote:But do you think that model can actually go up to 240hz from 144hz? Isn´t that a bit weird? I mean is a big jump!
I've seen 60Hz displays on laptops being overclocked to 180Hz. So it's not unheard of. Normally, you can drive a panel at whatever refresh rate you want. The reason you normally can't is because most manufacturers put a firmware lock there to prevent that from happening. In this case, it seems there's no lock, but only an OSD message.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2019, 23:51

An overclock of 144Hz->240Hz?

I'm interested in how it is behaving -- please take a photograph of http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

Not unprecedented. It's quite realistic as LCD panels generally don't have a real native refresh rate (they simply continually degrade until a weak link fails), it's the electronics that is attached to it.

There are occasionally some extreme overclock successes on "Hz unlocked" display panels.
- 3:1 ratio .... Laptop LCD 60Hz -> 180Hz
- 4:1 or 8:1 ratio .... Zis' custom "overclocking" of an off-the-shelf 4K60/4K120 LCD to 480Hz
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

paradox404

Post by paradox404 » 21 Feb 2019, 19:15

Notty_PT wrote:
yehaw wrote:Hi, I recently got this monitor (LG 24GM79G-B) and pretty pleased with it. It's a native 1080p/144hz monitor. I was messing around and decided to overclock it, just to see if it would accept anything past 144hz, as I use to do this with older IPS panels and push 60hz to about 72-76hz. I even had an older 60hz IPS I was able to push to 108hz and it worked perfectly for 2 years before I finally upgraded to a native 144hz.

Hi! I am bumping this to ask you if at a lower overclock (lets say 165hz) do you still get the osd out of range message? Thanks
I've the same monitor and it clocks to 240hz but skip frames at this hz (oddly the picture remains bright and vivid as it is 144Hz), when clocked to 180Hz it works fine but you still get the big grey box saying "out of range" or anything above 144Hz.

VasGamez

Post by VasGamez » 16 Dec 2019, 20:16

I also have an LG monitor which has a native refresh rate of 144hz. I was also able to overclock it to 240hz. I have no OSD message pop up. Is this normal?

nemesx

Post by nemesx » 08 Jan 2021, 14:05

Which model do you have and how did you manage to do it