LG 34GK950F Failed Overclock attempts

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
rayw_bb

LG 34GK950F Failed Overclock attempts

Post by rayw_bb » 28 Jan 2019, 00:45

Just FYI: this monitor doesn't overclock at all, at least not easily, beyond the factory 144 Hz, which I know is already fantastic, but just for curiosity's sake, would be great to see how much we can push it :)

I run it with an NVIDIA RTX card with G-SYNC enabled.

No matter how much I OC, 150, 165 Hz, etc, all of them frame skip. I tried messing with the vertical total and stuff like that and no dice. :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 34GK950F Failed Overclock attempts

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2019, 02:18

It appears you're getting successful-but-frameskipped picture (rather than "Out of Sync") when you increase refresh rate beyond manufacturer specifications.

That means your monitor is an excellent candidate for Quick Frame Transport (QFT) experiments, if you're a person who likes Low-Lag VSYNC ON.

Basically reducing the input lag of 144Hz via the use of ultralarge vertical totals!

You can try 144Hz + large vertical totals to try reducing VSYNC ON input lag a little bit via the "Quick Frame Transport" (QFT) effect.
Here's an advanced Advanced/Technical Quick Frame Transport HOWTO (you must be a CRU or ToastyX expert!) using RTSS Scanline Sync if you want to reduce the input lag of VSYNC ON to even lower lag than the existing low-lag VSYNC ON HOWTOs.

Note, that Quick Frame Transport (QFT) doesn't benefit VSYNC OFF because the frameslices are streamed onto the scanout in realtime (see high speed video of LCD scanout

This tweak may or may not be worth it, depending on how your monitor behaves with scanout acceleration (Quick Frame Transport)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rayw_bb

Post by rayw_bb » 28 Jan 2019, 02:28

Thanks for your reply Chief :)

However, this is a FreeSync monitor with a 48-144Hz VRR range, so I'm using it as a "G-SYNC compatible" monitor on my system :)

Definitely don't want to be hitting the refresh rate ceiling and dropping out of G-SYNC :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2019, 02:37

rayw_bb wrote:Thanks for your reply Chief :)

However, this is a FreeSync monitor with a 48-144Hz VRR range, so I'm using it as a "G-SYNC compatible" monitor on my system :)

Definitely don't want to be hitting the refresh rate ceiling and dropping out of G-SYNC :)
Great, use FreeSync (GSYNC compatible) instead.

It already benefits from quick delivery of frames so you don't need to do the "Quick Frame Transport" tweaks since it mainly benefits fixed-Hz VSYNC ON.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 09 Mar 2019, 05:40

I have one of these monitors on the way in the next few weeks so I'll try the QFT hack and report back

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 31 Mar 2019, 04:50

Well... I was going to but I'm returning it. I just can't get used to the blur and strobe crosstalk even with blur reduction enabled. I think I've just been spoilt by ULMB TN panels for too many years