Force highest refresh rate with AMD

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
fenderjaguar

Force highest refresh rate with AMD

Post by fenderjaguar » 10 Jul 2019, 16:18

So I changed to an AMD card. After all these years, you still can't force highest refresh from driver? What a joke. You can't even change refresh in AMD control panel. The custom resolution section won't even let me go past 200hz (it's a 240hz monitor).

So I used toasty CRU. But when I created a 240hz custom resolution at 1920x1078, it run in all refresh rates (60, 100, 120, 144, 240). With nvidia control panel, I was used to the 1920x1078 resolution ONLY being 240hz, and it forced games into that refresh rate. Does anyone know a way of doing this with CRU?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by fenderjaguar on 22 Jul 2019, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

fenderjaguar

Re: Switching from Nvidia to AMD again, same old AMD problem

Post by fenderjaguar » 12 Jul 2019, 12:43

Just in case anyone in the future reads this, CRU is excellent, and can indeed force your highest refresh in everything. Without any problems, that I have encountered, such as games starting up with blank screen and a "no signal" from your monitors on screen display etc.

Don't create a custom resolution at all. Just delete all the other refresh rates that you don't want:
lol.png
lol.png (81.94 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQIU_at ... e=youtu.be

Make sure to click "ok" on all the windows, then click the "restart.exe" after you have finished with CRU.exe.

I advise leaving all the other resolutions to run in lower frequency refresh, just do it for your native resolution that you usually game at. So in my case, if I saw anything that was 1920x1080 that wasn't 240hz, bam, deleted it. As some of these damn games will fight to the death for their precious 60hz, and even run in 1920x1080i or 25/30hz, before they give it up and run at the proper high refresh :lol:

This was all done over a displayport cable. I also tried HDMI, afterwards. And the results weren't as good. Even though I removed all the refresh rates, except 240hz, there still remained 50, 59 and 60hz as selectable in windows display settings. So maybe it's some kind of built in thing that can't be removed in software. Make sure you disable freesync in "display" in AMD settings. Also, try running in a different resolution other than your native res, when you do this.

Overall, I am very happy. Now, if only AMDs frame pacing was up to par with nvidia's...I thought they sorted this out by now? Still, at least AMD runs the GPU core at the right P-state, when you run the desktop refresh in 240hz, which is something nvidia doesn't do right (core ran at like 900mhz, when the idle clock should have been like 160 something mhz :| )
Last edited by fenderjaguar on 22 Jul 2019, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 15 Jul 2019, 17:22

My nvidia runs at 300mhz idle with 240hz, unless I use custom settings with cru, then it will go to 1200mhz.

As for AMD, I gave up on that brand a long time ago. They offer the best price vs perf ratio but their stuff is full of problems, annoying glitches, I dont have patience for that. Thats why when internet goes excited , as it is now, with new ryzen chips etc. i dont care at al. That brand to me only exists to drive intel and nvidia prices down. I simply dont trust them

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 19 Jul 2019, 15:45

Notty_PT wrote:As for AMD, I gave up on that brand a long time ago. They offer the best price vs perf ratio but their stuff is full of problems, annoying glitches, I dont have patience for that.
It's like they concentrate too much on hardware, and not enough on drivers. All of nvidia stuff is driver based.

Look at DSR downsampling, it's clearly done at driver level and there is theoretically no limit on the resolution they could downsample from. Refresh rates also aren't an issue, as long as you get your native resolution at 240hz, you can have 3840x2160 @ 240hz.

AMD have VSR, which is literally old school ghetto downsampling, down the video cable, with all of its bandwidth restrictions. It only lets me downsample 3840x2160 @ 60hz. And only lets me get something like 2560x1440 @ 240hz. That's not professional, that's like me making a hack with CRU.

It's the same with custom resolutions, where nvidia seem to be able to superimpose lower resolutions onto your native resolution, by scaling everything on the GPU. But with AMD, they let the monitor handle everything, and the results are sometimes quite blurry or with bad aspect ratio.