BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
CubanLegend

Re: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz

Post by CubanLegend » 12 Dec 2020, 18:06

Falkentyne wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 14:05
CubanLegend wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 21:53
Falkentyne wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:22
n1ghtik wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 04:23
hello, I overclocked my benq xl2411 to 240Hz, but the problem is that only half of the screen is normal, on the other side there are small artifacts and the text becomes unreadable. Has anyone faced the same problem? I think this can be fixed because that one half of the screen is working fine.
You may have exceeded the capabilities of the panel.
Try 200hz, 210hz and 220hz. If those all work and 240hz fails to work, you found your answer. Not every screen is capable of being stable at such high refresh rates.
so why is it that sometimes my XL2720Z is stable with no frameskipping at 240 or 250hz but other times when i switch to those refresh rates, the strobe crosstalk test shows this annoying judder? the judder does now show in the Strobe Utlity's Crosstalk test though.
Check my other posts on this matter.
It means the exact timings used are not stable to the monitor scalar.
If you want the same refresh rate, you will need to mess with changing the horizontal and vertical total values, which will change the pixel clock slightly, but keep the same refresh rate. You have to mess around with it and find a HT/VT combination that will not cause frameskipping.
i'll look back for the frameskipping info, thank you.

ah ok so i'll need to tweak the VT/HT even after setting your timings for 240/250? darn.. so they aren't stable across all panels even if the same XL2720 panel is what im using those timings on? odd

Also a general question.. I'm running in 165hz due to the high refresh and the 8bit color, but i get the Out of Range error popping up once im in a game (or even at the desktop), it happens EVERY TIME a few seconds after i enable the AMA Low tweak.. for some reason the OoRBuster isnt dismissing the Out of Range error? Here's my timing for the app: "...\OorBuster.exe" 2000 1500 250 3000 should i adjust the timings to get the OoRBuster to work...?

Even when i hit ALT+HOME as the Global Hotkey for OoRBuster, it resets my AMA settings, killing my Low AMA tweak.. :(

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Dec 2020, 15:53

CubanLegend wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 18:06

i'll look back for the frameskipping info, thank you.

ah ok so i'll need to tweak the VT/HT even after setting your timings for 240/250? darn.. so they aren't stable across all panels even if the same XL2720 panel is what im using those timings on? odd

Also a general question.. I'm running in 165hz due to the high refresh and the 8bit color, but i get the Out of Range error popping up once im in a game (or even at the desktop), it happens EVERY TIME a few seconds after i enable the AMA Low tweak.. for some reason the OoRBuster isnt dismissing the Out of Range error? Here's my timing for the app: "...\OorBuster.exe" 2000 1500 250 3000 should i adjust the timings to get the OoRBuster to work...?

Even when i hit ALT+HOME as the Global Hotkey for OoRBuster, it resets my AMA settings, killing my Low AMA tweak.. :(
Whenever you even open the OSD, the monitor will check the signal and see that it's out of range and won't like it (It's in the firmware so you can't do anything about it). There's no graceful way around this problem.

You can get the AMA Low to stick with blur reduction off (if you did it with MBR on then switched to a profile with MBR off), when the OOR popup appears, by just pressing the profile button with MBR Off again; activating the MBR Off profile doesn't reset the AMA. But this trick doesn't work if you are switching to a profile with MBR On, only off. I found AMA Low to be far more useful with blur reduction off anyway (the default inverse ghosting is far worse with MBR off than with it on).

CubanLegend

Post by CubanLegend » 14 Dec 2020, 01:11

Falkentyne wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 15:53
Whenever you even open the OSD, the monitor will check the signal and see that it's out of range and won't like it (It's in the firmware so you can't do anything about it). There's no graceful way around this problem.

You can get the AMA Low to stick with blur reduction off (if you did it with MBR on then switched to a profile with MBR off), when the OOR popup appears, by just pressing the profile button with MBR Off again; activating the MBR Off profile doesn't reset the AMA. But this trick doesn't work if you are switching to a profile with MBR On, only off. I found AMA Low to be far more useful with blur reduction off anyway (the default inverse ghosting is far worse with MBR off than with it on).
darn, thats a real shame about out of range when you open the OSD.. :( I will just have to deal with using AMA High then.. since i REALLY lie the added smoothness of 165hz vs 120hz, even though the crosstalk is increased..

I will try your AMA Low trick with MBR off though.. I am intrigued by what you said though.. about how you "found AMA Low to be far more useful with blur reduction off anyway (the default inverse ghosting is far worse with MBR off than with it on)." do you have any pictures to illustrate this? How would MBR off ghosting ever be more useful than MBR on motion clarity?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Dec 2020, 16:13

CubanLegend wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 01:11
Falkentyne wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 15:53

darn, thats a real shame about out of range when you open the OSD.. :( I will just have to deal with using AMA High then.. since i REALLY lie the added smoothness of 165hz vs 120hz, even though the crosstalk is increased..

I will try your AMA Low trick with MBR off though.. I am intrigued by what you said though.. about how you "found AMA Low to be far more useful with blur reduction off anyway (the default inverse ghosting is far worse with MBR off than with it on)." do you have any pictures to illustrate this? How would MBR off ghosting ever be more useful than MBR on motion clarity?
BTW I did mention this earlier but I think every single person ignored me or missed it.

if you are using any "out of range" refresh rate (I'm not sure if this works if someone tries to use 144hz with a "high" Vertical total like 1350, for trying to reduce 144hz crosstalk, if anyone wants to try, go ahead), like 165hz, you can increase the brightness AND reduce the crosstalk *slightly* by FIRST switching to *ANOTHER* lower refresh rate that has a VT Tweak already active, and you will have MUCH worse results if you switch from a "stock" refresh rate without a VT tweak (60, 100, 120, 144, etc) to your higher refresh rate.

I am not sure if this is a driver issue or the monitor itself.

For example: switching from 100hz, HT: 2080, VT: 1500, to 165hz, or 120hz: HT: 1984 (the only HT I could find that avoided random frameskipping AND avoided yCBCR422), VT: 1500, to 165hz or higher, will give brighter persistence per point of strobe duty, and lower crosstalk, than switching from any stock refresh to 165hz or higher. It will be extremely obvious and impossible to miss once you see it.

Doing this will give lower crosstalk, and the monitor will use the 60hz pulse widths so the image will be brighter. The difference will be obvious. This only seems to need to be done if you were previously at a lower refresh rate (stock) that did NOT have a VT tweak applied.

Note: Do not exceed Strobe Duty 009 when doing this, as you may overdrive the LEDs or trip the monitor into powering off.

It doesn't matter if you start at 100hz or 120hz with a VT Tweak then switch to 165hz or higher. You just need to have any VT Tweak applied.

CubanLegend

Post by CubanLegend » 15 Dec 2020, 01:51

Falkentyne wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:13
BTW I did mention this earlier but I think every single person ignored me or missed it.

if you are using any "out of range" refresh rate (I'm not sure if this works if someone tries to use 144hz with a "high" Vertical total like 1350, for trying to reduce 144hz crosstalk, if anyone wants to try, go ahead), like 165hz, you can increase the brightness AND reduce the crosstalk *slightly* by FIRST switching to *ANOTHER* lower refresh rate that has a VT Tweak already active, and you will have MUCH worse results if you switch from a "stock" refresh rate without a VT tweak (60, 100, 120, 144, etc) to your higher refresh rate.

I am not sure if this is a driver issue or the monitor itself.

For example: switching from 100hz, HT: 2080, VT: 1500, to 165hz, or 120hz: HT: 1984 (the only HT I could find that avoided random frameskipping AND avoided yCBCR422), VT: 1500, to 165hz or higher, will give brighter persistence per point of strobe duty, and lower crosstalk, than switching from any stock refresh to 165hz or higher. It will be extremely obvious and impossible to miss once you see it.

Doing this will give lower crosstalk, and the monitor will use the 60hz pulse widths so the image will be brighter. The difference will be obvious. This only seems to need to be done if you were previously at a lower refresh rate (stock) that did NOT have a VT tweak applied.

Note: Do not exceed Strobe Duty 009 when doing this, as you may overdrive the LEDs or trip the monitor into powering off.

It doesn't matter if you start at 100hz or 120hz with a VT Tweak then switch to 165hz or higher. You just need to have any VT Tweak applied.
Yeah i remember this..! I actually have all of my stock Hz already with a VT applied, so when i go to 165hz, i do get increased brightness and reduced crosstalk, thanks!

This could be related to how the monitor retains AMA Low when going from MBR on to off..? That for some reason the monitor also retains previous strobe pulse widths when going out of range?

Still though, i dont see a case for where MBR OFF would be objectively more useful and MBR ON..

drackoh

Post by drackoh » 24 Dec 2020, 17:58

i overclocked from 144 to 165, but csgo only let me play in 144hz D: help me guys

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2020, 21:16

drackoh wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 17:58
i overclocked from 144 to 165, but csgo only let me play in 144hz D: help me guys
Add -freq 165 to command line. You can also add these launch paramters to Steam
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

chinczyk02

Post by chinczyk02 » 01 Jan 2021, 05:24

How can i use program on github, there is no .exe file. I have only one monitor 2411p

The_System

Post by The_System » 06 Jan 2021, 13:28

How difficult would it be to make OorBuster work on Linux? I've been using Manjaro for about three years now and I have been missing getting 165Hz out of my monitor as I used to on Windows.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jan 2021, 14:43

The_System wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 13:28
How difficult would it be to make OorBuster work on Linux? I've been using Manjaro for about three years now and I have been missing getting 165Hz out of my monitor as I used to on Windows.
If you already know DDC commands you can create a script instead using the Linux DDC command utility based on the findings of the first ten pages of this thread about the magic DDC commands to dismiss the “Out Of Range” popup.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!