DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Post Reply
kl1mr
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Feb 2020, 02:28

DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by kl1mr » 17 Feb 2020, 03:10

Monitor connected through DVI. Won't start above 76Hz. DVI pixel clock patches applied. Used CRU. Overdrive on. What to do to overclock it further? Maybe use displayport to eliminate cable bottleneck. Are there some fixes to disable "Out of range" message? Maybe engineering menu? Thanks for helping!

User avatar
RealNC
Site Admin
Posts: 2932
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32
Contact:

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by RealNC » 17 Feb 2020, 11:45

It's highly unlikely that there's a "cable bottleneck" at 76Hz. It seems you just reached the maximum the monitor will allow, that's all. 76Hz is a quite common limit in many monitor firmwares (75Hz is an old VESA mode originating in the 90s, so many monitors use that as a limit.)
SteamGitHubStack OverflowTwitter
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

kl1mr
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Feb 2020, 02:28

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by kl1mr » 18 Feb 2020, 06:03

RealNC wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:45
It's highly unlikely that there's a "cable bottleneck" at 76Hz. It seems you just reached the maximum the monitor will allow, that's all. 76Hz is a quite common limit in many monitor firmwares (75Hz is an old VESA mode originating in the 90s, so many monitors use that as a limit.)
My thought was that there is a single-link DVI in the monitor itself, and it's what limits it. My GPU is dual-link for sure. Still won't start above 165MHz. Patches doesn't seem to work. So it was necessary to reduce timings to reach 76Hz, but it's impossible to reduce them further to fit in 165MHz bandwidth, nor exceed the 165Mhz with all patches applied. Are there anything I can do? Can I tweak something in engineering menu? I doubt it's the hardware limitations that makes it unable to reach 77Hz from 76Hz. Can the firmware be edited to disable "Out of range" message? Thank you)

User avatar
RealNC
Site Admin
Posts: 2932
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32
Contact:

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by RealNC » 18 Feb 2020, 06:47

It doesn't matter if the cable is dual or not. That's the whole point of using the pixel clock patcher. It makes the GPU driver accept high pixels clocks over single link dvi.

The firmware just won't accept the signal, that's all. Nothing you can do about it other than experiment with different CRU timing standards.
SteamGitHubStack OverflowTwitter
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

kl1mr
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Feb 2020, 02:28

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by kl1mr » 19 Feb 2020, 01:58

RealNC wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 06:47
It doesn't matter if the cable is dual or not. That's the whole point of using the pixel clock patcher. It makes the GPU driver accept high pixels clocks over single link dvi.

The firmware just won't accept the signal, that's all. Nothing you can do about it other than experiment with different CRU timing standards.
The thing is, if I set my timings higher manually on lower Hz to make bandwidth exceed 165MHz, it won't start. I guess clock patcher doesn't work for me. Tried with different GPUs (RX/GTX), doesn't work. No errors during installation. What can be the problem with patcher? I guess displayport should fix the bandwidth problem, if it was present in the first place. Also, I saw softMCCS on the forum. Can it be helpful for me? Is it possible to edit some safety features out? Remove "out of range"? I'd like to experiment more. Btw, timings are already on their peak, because higher timings would make bandwidth exceed 165MHz, thus unabling monitor to work

User avatar
RealNC
Site Admin
Posts: 2932
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32
Contact:

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by RealNC » 19 Feb 2020, 07:39

kl1mr wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 01:58
Is it possible to edit some safety features out? Remove "out of range"? I'd like to experiment more. Btw, timings are already on their peak, because higher timings would make bandwidth exceed 165MHz, thus unabling monitor to work
I don't know if it's possible. Probably not. But an "out of range" message is not due to DVI bandwidth. It's due to the monitor firmware not allowing it.

You can probably test this by disabling the pixel clock patcher and then trying again. What are the results then?
SteamGitHubStack OverflowTwitter
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 6960
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2020, 18:49

Various "Out of Range" hacks are sometimes possible, and sometimes not possible, but they are very brand-dependant.

You can try numerous low-lying apples, but at some point, you hit a brick wall that's hard to bypass (Without finding a needle in a planet-sized haystack).

One such "Out of Range" force-dismiss (to force the firmware to allow overclocking) is the BenQ ZOWIE 144Hz 1080p monitors can now be overclocked to between ~190Hz to ~250Hz in this thread: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz ... However this specific "Out of Range" hack only works on this model. This hack was only discovered recently, many years later after the release of the monitor.

It can take dozens of hours to hundred of hours to figure out all the weak links preventing a monitor from being overclocked -- whether as simple as an accidental button press on an S-Switch (to the later discovery that an "Out of Range" popup can be dismissed via a DDC command on this particular model). Theoretically, it can be as advanced as modifying the firmware but that territory is rarely ventured even by experienced forum members.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

kl1mr
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Feb 2020, 02:28

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by kl1mr » 20 Feb 2020, 08:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 18:49
Various "Out of Range" hacks are sometimes possible, and sometimes not possible, but they are very brand-dependant.

You can try numerous low-lying apples, but at some point, you hit a brick wall that's hard to bypass (Without finding a needle in a planet-sized haystack).

One such "Out of Range" force-dismiss (to force the firmware to allow overclocking) is the BenQ ZOWIE 144Hz 1080p monitors can now be overclocked to between ~190Hz to ~250Hz in this thread: BenQ UNIVERSAL 144Hz->220Hz OVERCLOCK for 1080p 144 Hz ... However this specific "Out of Range" hack only works on this model. This hack was only discovered recently, many years later after the release of the monitor.

It can take dozens of hours to hundred of hours to figure out all the weak links preventing a monitor from being overclocked -- whether as simple as an accidental button press on an S-Switch (to the later discovery that an "Out of Range" popup can be dismissed via a DDC command on this particular model). Theoretically, it can be as advanced as modifying the firmware but that territory is rarely ventured even by experienced forum members.
Thank you all for helping me! Same results without clock patcher.

User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 6960
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: DELL U2312HM overclocking past 76Hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Feb 2020, 13:32

The problem is there is a lot of weak links in the chain that is completely unrelated to DVI or DisplayPort. And patcher will have nothing to do with helping you in 99% of the situations. The 76Hz clue also means it's not patcher related but a bigger brick wall.

It's like finding a needle in a haystack. It's very custom/random on a per-brand / per-monitor basis, with lots of undiscovered puzzles that are only unlocked one monitor at a time, and other times, just impossible for certain panels / certain firmwares.

TL;DR: It's easier to buy a new monitor, unless you're in it for the hacking passion. Spending 500 hours hacking a monitor -- versus spending 500 hours on a job to earn money to buy a whole fleet of monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Post Reply