Vizio M651d-A2R 120hz [HDTV overclocking success]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
trey31

Re: Vizio M651d-A2R 108hz [HDTV overclocking success]

Post by trey31 » 23 Jan 2014, 19:21

Just got the 3rd set today. I think it might finally be a keeper! No pics yet but I may not post any. It looks great compared to the first 2 sets. Confirmed 3 of this model will do 108hz at 1080p without issue, but 109hz is a no go. All 3 also do 1760x990 at custom resolution, and 1600x900 @ 120hz as a native with custom EDID and/or custom resolution.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2014, 00:06

Good to know the 3rd set is a keeper!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

trey31

Post by trey31 » 25 Jan 2014, 00:28

For sure. The all black background of Charlie Rose looks as good as a plasma panel with this third set. Almost no blacklight bleed to speak of, and a bit of tweaking with picture settings and what little there was is all but gone. Smooth 120hz and 108hz motion. Minimal input lag at the oc'd refresh rates. I'll post some videos at high frame rates when I get a Hero 3. Maybe mid February one will show up unexpectedly. I still need to figure out where/how to post them. YouTube still only does 30hz refresh right?

Either way finally satisfied with a Vizio. Surprisingly. Gotta say I was ready to start a crusade if set #3 had as many issues as the first 2.

I recommend anyone buying a '13 model thats edge lit from Vizio, do so at a local or nearby big box store. Cant imagine having to go through 3 sets and all the shipping if it had been purchased on amazon. Just saying. Love my Prime but it would've been an even bigger pain than what I went through I would imagine.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 26 Feb 2014, 17:11

vaforsale10 wrote: My goal was to get 120hz at 1920x1080 but ran in to the same problems you did I think.
It seems like to me no matter what I put the timings at under custom setting as soon as the Pixel Clock hits 269.00 MHZ it just wont work.
3840x2160 @ 31.500hz works and it has a clock of 276.1920
3600x2025 @ 35.675hz works and has a clock of 276.1849

So... you would guess that the TV has a clock limit of something in the neighborhood of 276 to 277, right?

Wrong.
3200x1800 at 50.750hz works and it has a clock of 314.2683

So who knows why 1080p at 120hz or even 110hz won't work? Maybe its a scaling issue, even with its native resolution?

Also of note, we moved the set to the floor and back onto its stand to clean everything (extreme care was taken while handling it) and wouldn't ya know it, the set now has moderate backlight bleed on all 4 corners... :shock: :o :oops: :(

kcurley

Post by kcurley » 12 Mar 2014, 17:42

Thanks trey31, I was also able to get my M701d up to 108hz at 1080p. Are you noticing much of a difference though? I cant really see much improvement from 60hz in games or desktop (skyrim just got worse lol). I feel like there is a lot of motion blur from this panel.
trey31 wrote: Also of note, we moved the set to the floor and back onto its stand to clean everything (extreme care was taken while handling it) and wouldn't ya know it, the set now has moderate backlight bleed on all 4 corners... :shock: :o :oops: :(
One thing myself and others have noticed is that the backlight in the corners (flashlighting) can change based on the flex of the unit. I noticed a difference from the built in stand to a mount. Maybe try adjusting it so that the weight is distributed differently?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2014, 11:19

kcurley wrote:Thanks trey31, I was also able to get my M701d up to 108hz at 1080p. Are you noticing much of a difference though?
You should test http://www.testufo.com (there are 15 selectable tests at the upper-right corner).
For a non-strobed display, 108Hz would have approximately (60Hz/108Hz)ths the motion blur than 60Hz -- a little more than half as much motion blur as 60Hz.

Low persistence is most easily achieved today on impulse driven displays (e.g. CRT, Plasma, LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kcurley

Post by kcurley » 14 Mar 2014, 13:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You should test http://www.testufo.com (there are 15 selectable tests at the upper-right corner).
For a non-strobed display, 108Hz would have approximately (60Hz/108Hz)ths the motion blur than 60Hz -- a little more than half as much motion blur as 60Hz.

Low persistence is most easily achieved today on impulse driven displays (e.g. CRT, Plasma, LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction, etc).
Okay, I think I figured out what the problem was: at any refresh rate that I tested higher than 60 (108,106, 100, 75, 72) there was what I would call consistent stutter. It was most noticeable on the eye tracking demo, and it wasn't intermittent it was a constant stutter. 60hz was smooth but obviously blurrier.

However, I did finally find that 102hz was stutter free and much better! It was a lot smoother on the UFO test and the eye tracking demo. So I don't know if there are different ideal refresh rates for the different sizes of this tv but 102hz is definitely the best for my M701d.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2014, 10:02

kcurley wrote:However, I did finally find that 102hz was stutter free and much better! It was a lot smoother on the UFO test and the eye tracking demo. So I don't know if there are different ideal refresh rates for the different sizes of this tv but 102hz is definitely the best for my M701d.
You are familiar with the TestUFO frame skipping test?
www.testufo.com/frameskipping ?

It's good for testing display overclocking.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 23 Mar 2014, 23:14

kcurley wrote:Thanks trey31, I was also able to get my M701d up to 108hz at 1080p. Are you noticing much of a difference though? I cant really see much improvement from 60hz in games or desktop (skyrim just got worse lol). I feel like there is a lot of motion blur from this panel.

One thing myself and others have noticed is that the backlight in the corners (flashlighting) can change based on the flex of the unit. I noticed a difference from the built in stand to a mount. Maybe try adjusting it so that the weight is distributed differently?
I'm sorry I just saw this post today.

About the Flexing, I'd agree that's most likely the cause. Vizio made the bezels much too small. I personally couldn't care less about bezel size (as long as its under 3" or so anyway) but I know a lot of casual TV consumers do, so it makes sense to keep them slim. I remember reading posts about massaging the screen (which the arguing over is just stupid) and although I didn't try it, I did lightly clean the screen and noticed 2 corners improved about 25% and the other two appear to be the same as they were before. I won't spend any time attempting to fix it this way though. It's just going to flex again when we move it to clean dust behind it again. I also read that backing off 4 of the screws in the rear panel appears to fix the issue, but again I would guess that it's either a placebo effect or at best a temporary solution and at worst a solution that could damage the screen next time it gets moved because it isn't properly/securely attached.

Interesting observation on the mount causing the flexing. I don't want to wall mount this panel currently, but I'm curious if adding a wall bracket to the back could possibly add more support to the unit's flexing? Even if used with the oem mount I would guess it would still add rigidity to the panel. I wonder if anyone makes a universal wall mount bracket with a stand attached to it?

To combat the flashlighting, I set up calibrated modes for daytime (regular calibrated settings, pretty close to cnet's) and at night (mostly just reduced backlight with some tweaking to R/G/B Offsets (higher to increase brightness without having to tweak the Brightness setting, the drawback is that blacks get lifted to dark gray levels, but it works in dark rooms at night and it beats getting frustrated with flashlighting in corners and fixating on them).
kcurley wrote:Okay, I think I figured out what the problem was: at any refresh rate that I tested higher than 60 (108,106, 100, 75, 72) there was what I would call consistent stutter. It was most noticeable on the eye tracking demo, and it wasn't intermittent it was a constant stutter. 60hz was smooth but obviously blurrier.

However, I did finally find that 102hz was stutter free and much better! It was a lot smoother on the UFO test and the eye tracking demo. So I don't know if there are different ideal refresh rates for the different sizes of this tv but 102hz is definitely the best for my M701d.
That's really odd that 102hz is smooth and 106/100/75/etc were not. I have mine setup in Game mode for everything PC related, with the HDMI input named Computer, with all processing stuff set to "off" including smooth motion, film mode, smart dimming, auto brightness, etc. When watching film and/or TV content (watchespn/hulu/prime/etc) I switch to 60hz and change the mode to Computer with some of the processing stuff turned on (Smooth Motion set to Medium or High. Why? Because I like Soap Opera effect apparently :o ) But I always have sharpness set to 0 regardless of mode or input source. Even set at 5 it starts affecting single pixel clarity.

I wonder if different settings affect it somehow though? How do you have yours set? My Advanced settings tab disappears at any refresh above 60hz, but I wonder if some settings still remain on after switching to 61hz+ or something?

Also, if you enable 4:4:4 sampling it works great on the M651d and improves pixel clarity on complex color samples, but for whatever reason I can't get it to work below 61hz.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 23 Mar 2014, 23:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
kcurley wrote:However, I did finally find that 102hz was stutter free and much better! It was a lot smoother on the UFO test and the eye tracking demo. So I don't know if there are different ideal refresh rates for the different sizes of this tv but 102hz is definitely the best for my M701d.
You are familiar with the TestUFO frame skipping test?
http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping ?

It's good for testing display overclocking.
This, for sure.

I'd love to know what is going on at 108hz or 100hz that is making it jutter, whereas 108hz is smooth.