Overclocking BENQ XL2420T v1 (120hz version)

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
mintys

Overclocking BENQ XL2420T v1 (120hz version)

Post by mintys » 02 Oct 2020, 10:00

Hey everybody.
So I have a benq xl2420t @ native 120hz that recently bought for 40$. Ive done some research and realized there's actually 2 version of this model: the 120hz version (wich i have) and a 144hz version.
Im trying to overclock my monitor to 144hz but the highest i get is 130hz with "CVT reduced blank" on NVIDIA Control Panel
Im pretty new with overclocking monitors so i need a little advice to get 144hz.

pd: sorry for broken english lol

denexter3

Re: Overclocking BENQ XL2420T v1 (120hz version)

Post by denexter3 » 24 Nov 2020, 16:54

Depends what interface you use. Is it HDMI or DVI?
DVI is normally unable to handle this resolution, while HDMI depends on its version.

If you have DVI, use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility), do everything the same way, but choose "Timing" as "LCD Reduced".
This will decrease the blanks even more, and make it so DVI-D DL can actually handle the entire signal.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Overclocking BENQ XL2420T v1 (120hz version)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Nov 2020, 23:12

Also try "Manual" and shrink numbers even smaller than LCD Reduced. Try a Horizontal Total of as small as 1944 pixels (8 pixels each for the horizontal porches/sync) and 1083 pixels (1 pixel each for the vertical porches/sync).

The BenQ monitors are usually Pixel Clock limited in overclocks -- the number of pixels per second transmitted over the cable. There are offscreen pixels used in porches and sync. To help you understand the bandwidth budget you're working with -- this is what CRU numbers look like when spatially mapped out on a signal.

Shrink all of those offscreen paddings (porches/sync) and you can sometimes get even more refresh cycles per second into the same bandwidth budget.

A monitor is often the same number of pixels per second, so you want to shrink those porches/sync to get more refresh cycles per total number of pixels per second (Pixel Clock).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!