[SOLVED] MSI GS65 144 Hz -> 155 Hz overclocked (matrix: B156HAN08.0)

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
amra

[SOLVED] MSI GS65 144 Hz -> 155 Hz overclocked (matrix: B156HAN08.0)

Post by amra » 30 Dec 2020, 02:59

Hi all.
I have MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RE Notebook with 144 Hz FullHD 15" display based on AU Optronics B156HAN08.0 matrix.
panelook dot com/B156HAN08.0_AUO_15.6_LCM_parameter_34288.html

And patch my NVIDIA drivers (ver. 457.51) with "NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher 1.4.13" to avoid limitation.
monitortests dot com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

I use CRU (Custom-Resolution-Utility) to overclock my monitor, but got only 154 Hz stable when overclocking.
monitortests dot com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

See my overclock settings in attached screenshots.

And my question is it possible to get higher stable overclocked Hz on my matrix in FullHD or in lower resolutions like a 1280x720?
For example: 1280x720 > 160 or 170+ Hz?
Which settings I must to use in CRU to overclock more? How it's calculating (link to manual)?

Thanks.

P.S. Anybody know how it's working with CRU? I can't find range of freq for my matrix model.
Attachments
1280x720
1280x720
CRU_iBkarU90uV.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
1920x1080
1920x1080
CRU_hVh5m70gTF.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
Last edited by amra on 08 Jan 2021, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

amra

Re: MSI GS65 144 Hz -> 154 Hz overclocked (but need help for more) B156HAN08.0

Post by amra » 04 Jan 2021, 06:48

Any ideas?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2021, 14:53

Firstly, I need to teach you about generic CRU mathematics.

1. Read Custom Resolution Utility Glossary.

2. Understand how ToastyX maps the layout of the pixels onto the signal:

3. Understand math formula based on diagram above
Blanking intervals = anything that's not visible/active.
HorizontalTotal = (Horiz Back Porch + Horiz Active + Horiz Front Porch + Horiz Sync)
VerticalTotal = (Vert Back Porch + Vert Active + Vert Front Porch + Vert Sync)
Pixel Clock = HorizontalTotal x VerticalTotal x Hz

Porches and sync are invisible pixels off the edges of the screen, used as synchronization markers (they were historically delays/commands for controlling a CRT electron gun, but today now behave essentially as comma separator between pixel rows and refresh cycles -- bandwidth that can sometimes be transferred over to improved overclocking).

4. Understand that your most important budget is Pixel Clock (Dot Clock). This means number of pixels per second. Your next most important number is scan rate (Horizontal Refresh Rate). This means number of pixel rows refreshed per second, including the blanking intervals (porches and sync).

5. Write down the biggest successful Pixel Clock you've ever succeeded
Write down the biggest scan rate you've ever succeeded.

6. Use that number to create new overclocks. For example, make your Sync and Porch smaller to transfer that pixel budget to extra refresh cycles. Don't exceed numbers you succeeded in (4).

So your game is to make those porches and sync numbers smaller to shrink your Pixel Clock number. Then make the refresh rate bigger to make Pixel Clock and Horizontal Refresh Rate bigger again (but not bigger in #4 above).

You can sometimes overclock the same resolution by about 5%-20% more by shrinking your blanking intervals. Begin with your verticals first.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

amra

Post by amra » 06 Jan 2021, 14:01

Thanks a lot, I'll try to understand this guide.

amra

Post by amra » 07 Jan 2021, 03:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 14:53
I read all the information, made a calculation of all values in excel, and tried to decrease porch and sync to raise the HZ freq, but I get a black screen every time. I need help to understand the settings and understand what I'm doing wrong.

amra

Post by amra » 07 Jan 2021, 03:32

I create this resolution with CRU but no Luck.
Attachments
CRU_8TCmCCP9UA.png
CRU_8TCmCCP9UA.png (15.12 KiB) Viewed 5397 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jan 2021, 13:27

amra wrote:
07 Jan 2021, 03:23
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 14:53
I read all the information, made a calculation of all values in excel, and tried to decrease porch and sync to raise the HZ freq, but I get a black screen every time. I need help to understand the settings and understand what I'm doing wrong.
The failsafe triggers is different in diffrent monitors. It could be a scanrate, or a pixel clock, or a vertical refresh rate, or a too-small specific porch number, etc. This varies from model to model.

Change as few things as a time when you overclock.

For example, stick to the same resolution when experimenting. Begin with a known resolution that overclocks successfully, and decrease one number at a time. If fail, back off.

Attack one number at a time. On that number, you could human-manually "binary search" your way on the number you're attacking.to the smallest possible Vertical Total, to speed things up a bit (The "binary search" algorithm -- the art of halving then next step, subtracting or adding back a quarter (depending on outcome of previous step), then next step subtracting or adding back an eighth (depending on outcome of previous step), etc. To compute your next Binary Search step halving, round upwards to nearest number. Compute your list of binary search halvings first step. So if your Back Porch 30, then your binary search steps is 15, 8, 4, 2, 1 ... Once you've minimized a number, start with the next number, keep binary-searching the numbers (testing the mode in between) until you've minimized the porches. There are many different approaches (hundreds actually), so it's best to learn "the language of timings". Also, you can use ToastyX restart64.exe in between attempts if you wish, to prevent the need to reboot -- to speed up your testing.

In ToastyX first, lock your Pixel Clock by putting radio button on it (to force refresh rate to go up whenever you decrease porch/sync). Choose a number, compute your binary search halvings list for that number (you can use Calculator or Excel to create the binary search halvings list if you wish), THEN:

Binary Search Example for a Back Porch of 30 Pixels

STEP1
Subtract 15 pixels (the 15 step)
Test the new custom resolution. (As you change a "30" to a "15", make sure your refresh rate automatically goes up thanks to the radio button locking the Pixel Clock)

STEP2
SUCCESS in STEP1? Subtract 8 pixels
FAIL in STEP1? Add 8 pixels.
Test the new custom resolution.

STEP3
SUCCESS in STEP2? Subtract 4 pixels
FAIL in STEP2? Add 4 pixels.

STEP4
SUCCESS in STEP3? Subtract 2 pixels
FAIL in STEP3? Add 2 pixels.

STEP5
SUCCESS in STEP4? Subtract 1 pixels
FAIL in STEP4? Add 1 pixels.

DONE! You're now on the smallest possible number. Your refresh rate just went up a small bit while you did this.

Rinse and repeat with the next porch or sync number.

(All six of them -- hit the vertical first, THEN hit the horizontals)

Although Excel is helpful in computing formulaic approaches (like binary search approaches), you can't just Excel it and try it in one attempt. You'll usually need to do dozens of repeated strategic/mathematical attempts like that.

Different brands/models of monitors has many different failsafes. Like a combination lock of all the different brands of bank safes, you have to attack one number at a time. One step at a time, maximizes your overclock success with ToastyX.

This is not the only strategic move. There are more complex chess moves too. This "binary search attack on a single timings number" is just simply the easiest overclocking-search algorithm for panels that successfully overclocks a little (cable=panel scanout speeds up as your panel did), which indicates this milking-opportunity path is valid.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

amra

Post by amra » 08 Jan 2021, 04:48

Thanks for the advice! I'll try :) and report.

amra

Post by amra » 08 Jan 2021, 08:22

Now understand, got 155.4 Hz MAX. That's all With 156 it's worked but I see black blink time by time on the screen...

Limits:
Frefresh rate freq: 154.5 Hz
Horizontal freq: 174.027
Pixel Clock freq: 348.78
Attachments
CRU_MCnjDjn2i9.png
CRU_MCnjDjn2i9.png (14.9 KiB) Viewed 5346 times