Old Laptop Update

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
slattgotit

Old Laptop Update

Post by slattgotit » 08 Jan 2021, 17:44

Hi everyone,
A few days ago I got a broken Lenovo G50-70 laptop from a friend of mine. I only have to replace the broken power connector to make it work, the rest of the parts are fine. I want to upgrade this laptop and turn it into a useful daily tool(for comfortable net surfing and doing my college tasks). I already got 16 gigabytes of RAM and a new ssd for the system. Now I am thinking about ordering a new display that I can overclock to 100 hertz. I think that it's enough for comfortable daily use. I have read many forums, but I haven't found a display that met my requirements.

I need:
- 15.6 inches
- WXGA HD (1366 x 768)
- TN (I guess?)
- 30 pin
- EDP

Display

There are at least 128 displays on PANELOOK meeting these requirements. The problem is that I don't know which ones can be overclocked and which ones cannot. If any of you can help me somehow, I will be very grateful.

In the near future I will try to start the laptop and check the current display for overclocking opportinuty.

Thank you for your time,
Slattgotit :mrgreen:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Old Laptop Update

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2021, 00:14

slattgotit wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 17:44
There are at least 128 displays on PANELOOK meeting these requirements. The problem is that I don't know which ones can be overclocked and which ones cannot. If any of you can help me somehow, I will be very grateful.
This is a very "panel lottery" factor.

What you want is really good quality electronics with minimum bottlenecks (e.g. not cheap components) and a total lack of a built-in OSD engine (On Screen Display) or anything that gets in the way of overclocking the panel itself. OSD chips are often overclock bottlenecks, throwing unwanted arbitrary "OUT OF RANGE" popups like a clock-limited CPU.

Many generic 60Hz laptop panels (With good electronics) will easily overclock to 75-120Hz although with some color degradation the higher you go (so you may end up choosing a sweet spot such as 90Hz or 100Hz even if there's extra overclock room). The record is a 180Hz overclock of a 60 Hz laptop LCD but colors did get washed out when it went that high. There are many weak links that can prevent overclocking and it can be very hard to predict which panel is more overclock-forgiving.

If these panels are cheap enough or have a good return policy, testing 2 or 3 panels may be a viable fun route -- but be prepared to return/resell panels that you no longer need.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!