NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency - How It Works & Why You Want To Use It

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jorimt

Re: NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency - How It Works & Why You Want To Use It

Post by jorimt » 19 Jan 2024, 12:38

marcel151 wrote:
19 Jan 2024, 12:06
I am trying to accomplish to minimize input lag and not having tearing. I can see that you did the test with 60 Hz and having quite significant improvements when not capping your FPS. But what when doing it with a higher refresh rate of e.g. 144 Hz? I think the improvements in terms of latency between V-SYNC (NVCP) ON and OFF while using Reflex would be way less?
Are you intending to use VRR or standalone V-SYNC to prevent tearing? Because my answers will differ depending on that; it's all highly relative.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

marcel151

Post by marcel151 » 20 Jan 2024, 07:00

If understood correctly it should be VRR. Right now I am using G-SYNC plus Reflex if available (otherwise capping 3 FPS under refresh rate in game). V-SYNC is off in game and on in NVCP. I am thinking about turning V-SYNC off in NVCP when using very high FPS games.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Jan 2024, 15:52

marcel151 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 07:00
If understood correctly it should be VRR. Right now I am using G-SYNC plus Reflex if available (otherwise capping 3 FPS under refresh rate in game). V-SYNC is off in game and on in NVCP. I am thinking about turning V-SYNC off in NVCP when using very high FPS games.
Okay, not sure what else to add beside...

Lowest possible tear-free latency:
G-SYNC on + V-SYNC on + minimum -3 FPS within the refresh rate + GPU usage below 99% (via Reflex or a manual FPS limit)

Lowest possible latency (with tearing):
G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off + highest possible framerate without causing GPU usage to reach or exceed 99% (via Reflex or manual FPS limit)

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

pt0x

Post by pt0x » 09 Feb 2024, 16:15

jorimt wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 15:52
marcel151 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 07:00
Okay, not sure what else to add beside...

Lowest possible tear-free latency:
G-SYNC on + V-SYNC on + minimum -3 FPS within the refresh rate + GPU usage below 99% (via Reflex or a manual FPS limit)

Lowest possible latency (with tearing):
G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off + highest possible framerate without causing GPU usage to reach or exceed 99% (via Reflex or manual FPS limit)
Hi there,

Even though I think these settings and the statement itself are correct I still struggle to believe it, even with reflex involved. Why? Hear me out, this is somewhat of a question/reflection at the same time.

In scenario 1, the only system latency inducing factor would be a GPU or CPU bound scenario for the choosen FPS limit. Reflex can assist with this, and drop latency by alot, when the GPU and CPU are not bound, the render queue is empty, frame processing doesnt need to be synced by reflex and you might actually get lower system latency with reflex off.

Typically in overwatch 2 on a 14900k, 4090 and 240hz monitor with g-sync, v-sync and in game frame cap of 234 I have 4.8ms system latency as its not bound by anything.

With g-sync, v-sync and reflex on my fps get capped to 225~ by reflex and my system latency is 5.9. So I rather leave relex off for this game.

In scenario 2, I can't deny the simple truths of more frames = less latency... but... how about the devation between frames, that rises so much in some games that going for this scenario realy is not usefull as latency fluctuates too much and therefore creates a system latency avarage that is simply not relyable or consistant. Yeah the numbers might show 2ms, but the devation is more important imho. Plus, you will have frame tearing, which can be less clear, possibly inducing more latency at the human.

My statement has always been. (And pleae correct me if im wrong)!

"If you already have low latency in the first place, dont uncap fps and choose no screen tearing + stable frame pacing"

Like in my example

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Feb 2024, 18:44

pt0x wrote:
09 Feb 2024, 16:15
I said "lowest possible latency," not "highest possible consistency." And you don't have to use Reflex to prevent max GPU usage, you can use a manual FPS limit instead.