Fix for input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
eropsy

Re: Fix for input lag

Post by eropsy » 02 Apr 2024, 06:56

ccfan wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 11:06
Your monitor driver should still be disabled after the restart however windows re-initiates the driver's folder in the registry every boot. Even though the driver is disabled/unloaded windows re-initiates the monitor's EDID on boot which is what's causing the fix not remaining consistent for me.
for me EDID doesn't apear after restart

ccfan

Post by ccfan » 02 Apr 2024, 07:12

eropsy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 06:56
ccfan wrote:
Your monitor driver should still be disabled after the restart however windows re-initiates the driver's folder in the registry every boot. Even though the driver is disabled/unloaded windows re-initiates the monitor's EDID on boot which is what's causing the fix not remaining consistent for me.
Interesting. Does your monitor have a specific driver? Mine has none and windows just uses the generic plug and play one which is why i suspect it reappears after restart in my case. Do you notice if disabling the monitor driver helps you in any way?. Uninstalling instead of disabling the driver in device manager might cause EDID to reappear for you on restart but that's just a guess. Maybe you could try forcing EDID back and deleting it every boot to test assuming nothing is working.

eropsy

Post by eropsy » 02 Apr 2024, 07:30

ccfan wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 07:12
eropsy wrote:
ccfan wrote:
Interesting. Does your monitor have a specific driver? Mine has none and windows just uses the generic plug and play one which is why i suspect it reappears after restart in my case. Do you notice if disabling the monitor driver helps you in any way?. Uninstalling instead of disabling the driver in device manager might cause EDID to reappear for you on restart but that's just a guess. Maybe you could try forcing EDID back and deleting it every boot to test assuming nothing is working.
No drivers for monitor. i have like this https://prnt.sc/P0mYuvh4PY47, https://prnt.sc/YPKgZyMJIPb4, https://prnt.sc/TxE2MxtQhBMK . And i use single monitor, never connected second. Btw with your fix i feel like my screen became like real 144hz, and mouse became slower

ccfan

Post by ccfan » 02 Apr 2024, 07:49

eropsy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 07:30
ccfan wrote:
eropsy wrote:
ccfan wrote:
No drivers for monitor. i have like this https://prnt.sc/P0mYuvh4PY47, https://prnt.sc/YPKgZyMJIPb4, https://prnt.sc/TxE2MxtQhBMK . And i use single monitor, never connected second. Btw with your fix i feel like my screen became like real 144hz, and mouse became slower
Do you have custom resolution utility installed by chance? curious to see if any profiles show up or it displays the "No displays found in the registry" error. Glad to see the fix has some effect though, do you prefer it? personally my games feel a lot more "in sync" and its easier to track/flick to stuff.

SeekNDstroy

Post by SeekNDstroy » 02 Apr 2024, 08:00

ccfan wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 06:05
SeekNDstroy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 01:31
ccfan wrote:

This method has been working consistently for me for about 2 weeks now so i figure i'd share it to see if you guys find similar results.
What if I have made custom resolution via gpu driver control panel?
Tested this quickly by adding a random custom res of a unique dimensions (1750 x 950) to both CRU and then via nvidia control panel. The CRU one gets deleted every EDID clear obviously but it remains applied if the EDID is deleted after the custom res is applied during the same boot, on restart it re-initiates a new EDID which clears out the custom res.

The same custom res made via nvidia control panel remains even if EDID is deleted or not and the fix still works and feels smooth for me at 1750 x 950. So basically if you want to run a custom res set it via your GPU driver's control panel instead of CRU directly (Just as Lev1n mentions in the previous post). Unless you want to keep applying the same custom res in CRU every delete and boot, requiring you to delete it again :cry:
Thank you.
So, the gpu driver doesn't create any EDID, right?
Basically i need the custom CVT timings rather the resolution.
So my steps will be disable the driver > create the resolution with CVT timing in control panel > apply it > delete profile from CRU?

ccfan

Post by ccfan » 02 Apr 2024, 08:06

SeekNDstroy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 08:00
ccfan wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 06:05
SeekNDstroy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 01:31
ccfan wrote:

This method has been working consistently for me for about 2 weeks now so i figure i'd share it to see if you guys find similar results.
What if I have made custom resolution via gpu driver control panel?
Tested this quickly by adding a random custom res of a unique dimensions (1750 x 950) to both CRU and then via nvidia control panel. The CRU one gets deleted every EDID clear obviously but it remains applied if the EDID is deleted after the custom res is applied during the same boot, on restart it re-initiates a new EDID which clears out the custom res.

The same custom res made via nvidia control panel remains even if EDID is deleted or not and the fix still works and feels smooth for me at 1750 x 950. So basically if you want to run a custom res set it via your GPU driver's control panel instead of CRU directly (Just as Lev1n mentions in the previous post). Unless you want to keep applying the same custom res in CRU every delete and boot, requiring you to delete it again :cry:
Thank you.
So, the gpu driver doesn't create any EDID, right?
Basically i need the custom CVT timings rather the resolution.
So my steps will be disable the driver > create the resolution with CVT timing in control panel > apply it > delete profile from CRU?
Yeah in my case at least the gpu driver didnt create any EDID. Your steps are correct, just refresh the driver after deleting the profile in CRU using shift+ctrl+windows key+B. Refreshing via restart64 creates another EDID on my end but that probably varies based on what eropsy's saying. Hope it helps.

eropsy

Post by eropsy » 02 Apr 2024, 08:14

ccfan wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 07:49
eropsy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 07:30
ccfan wrote:
eropsy wrote:

Do you have custom resolution utility installed by chance? curious to see if any profiles show up or it displays the "No displays found in the registry" error. Glad to see the fix has some effect though, do you prefer it? personally my games feel a lot more "in sync" and its easier to track/flick to stuff.
Nah, never used CRU. Yeah i guess prefer it, just need to adapt. Good job for you and op.

SeekNDstroy

Post by SeekNDstroy » 02 Apr 2024, 08:18

I forgot about the refresh. I was rebooting the pc and on every reboot the EDID is back. I had a monitor driver installed, uninstalled it, but the EDID returned.
So, after every reboot I have to delete the profile & refresh?

ccfan

Post by ccfan » 02 Apr 2024, 08:20

SeekNDstroy wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 08:18
I forgot about the refresh. I was rebooting the pc and on every reboot the EDID is back. I had a monitor driver installed, uninstalled it, but the EDID returned.
So, after every reboot I have to delete the profile & refresh?
Yeah even with the driver disabled on every boot i need to delete the profile/edid then refresh for the "fix" to take effect.

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 02 Apr 2024, 15:14

ok so I tried brightness trick and everything ccfan said. it's much better to play, the mouse itself is not very sharp, but the game is much more enjoyable, the hitreg is better too, less desync. compared to the game before the "fix", things are definitely better, I wonder how long it will last.