OLED questions from a visual neuroscientist

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
moregabor

Re: OLED questions from a visual neuroscientist

Post by moregabor » 04 May 2024, 07:29

Thanks, that's what I was trying to post.

I should say that the lower plot (photodiode) underestimates the extent of dimming (~10 nits), due to diode saturation issues. But it gives an idea about the time course.

The absence of phospor persitence in OLEDs compared to CRTs is indeed very helpful for some research in my field.

moregabor

Post by moregabor » 11 May 2024, 05:55

Since there were no further responses, to close the thread, I am concluding that the dynamic luminance dimming for small objects (but not large ones) on the Asus 240 Hz OLED may be an as-yet unreported or unknown issue.

Thanks everybody for the helpful responses regarding flicker!

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 11 May 2024, 11:19

Hmmm, well not sure what you mean with the small object comment... maybe Chief can address that.
I’m hypothesizing here but there may be some sort of built-in burn-in mitigation going on.

Some links that may be useful:
https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-mo ... d-p/962201
https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/co ... automatic/
https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/co ... ng_screen/
https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/co ... he_screen/

moregabor

Post by moregabor » 13 Jun 2024, 03:06

Apologies for the late response: Some of these links I was not yet aware of, thanks for sharing them!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jun 2024, 11:52

moregabor wrote:
13 Jun 2024, 03:06
Apologies for the late response: Some of these links I was not yet aware of, thanks for sharing them!
You're welcome! We're good for discovering a bunch of error margins not considered by other researchers...

Also, for latency of OLEDs, more refresh rate is better.

OLEDs often have to buffer 1 refresh cycle of latency (for things like HDR processing). So more refresh rate reduces the lag penalty.

If lag is critical and you want to use OLED, please purchase 480Hz OLED, even for 60fps material. (Make sure you play back 60fps on a computer outputting 480Hz). This allows these individual 60fps frames to be blasted over the cable in 1/480sec and scanned-out to the screen in 1/480sec.

Unlike CRTs which stream the signal onto the tube in realtime, many digital displays have to buffer the input for full frame processing before displaying.

Disabling HDR can also help reduce latency too, but OLEDs also need to execute "find brightest pixel" algorithms for ABL (average brightness level) algorithms. Turning off HDR and turning off ABL, will probably reduce latency, but will also create a fairly dim (200nit) picture. But a workaround is simply to throw more refresh rate at it instead, to avoid the disadvantages.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

moregabor

Post by moregabor » 14 Jun 2024, 03:18

Thanks! We have already invested in a couple of 240 Hz OLEDs, but the newest 480 Hz models do look promising and we might repeat our tests with one of those. We'll acknowledge the helpful input from blurbusters in our work.