Weird input lag/stutter?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
widow13

Weird input lag/stutter?

Post by widow13 » 12 May 2024, 15:03

What can cause PC to act different every day?
1 day it is smooth and feels nice to play on and the other day it is laggy and almost unplayable.
I'm waiting for a ram replacement but I'm not quite sure that's gonna solve things.
Any idea what else can cause it ?

Also today PC shut down and re-booted while uninstalling ethernet driver, I had to uninstall it again after it re-booted.

daemonjax

Re: Weird input lag/stutter?

Post by daemonjax » 13 May 2024, 09:12

Could be anything, but first thing I'd check is whatever's running in the background.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 13 May 2024, 11:50

widow13 wrote:
12 May 2024, 15:03
1 day it is smooth and feels nice to play on and the other day it is laggy and almost unplayable.
I'm waiting for a ram replacement but I'm not quite sure that's gonna solve things.

Also today PC shut down and re-booted while uninstalling ethernet driver, I had to uninstall it again after it re-booted.
So many things could be the reason, foreign application running on the same rendering thread as your game, internet lag, Hardware temps etc. Can you give a little bit more info? What game do you get this feeling with?
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

widow13

Post by widow13 » 13 May 2024, 13:07

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
13 May 2024, 11:50
widow13 wrote:

So many things could be the reason, foreign application running on the same rendering thread as your game, internet lag, Hardware temps etc. Can you give a little bit more info? What game do you get this feeling with?
MOBO : B650 AORUS ELITE AX V1
CPU : RYZEN 5 7600X
RAM : 6000MHZ DDR5 KINGSTON FURY
GPU : RTX 4060
PSU : 750W PLATINUM BE QUIET
M2 : SAMSUNG 980 PRO AND SAMSUNG 980

these are my specs.
I mainly play valorant but I feel it even while offline on cs and even on desktop.
It feels like I have insane input lag and it feels like I'm basically 3 seconds behind everyone in the game.
It isn't always like that, it can go from insanely floaty with input lag to laggy but more playable.
Today it feels like my sens has doubled, mouse is uncontrollable and I can't burst, a slight click and it shoots 5 bullets.
Mouse and keyboard are insanely sensitive today.
Windows are stripped down so nothing is running on the background, temps are fine, internet seems to be fine aswell.

Slender

Post by Slender » 13 May 2024, 16:21

widow13 wrote:
13 May 2024, 13:07
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
widow13 wrote:

these are my specs.
I mainly play valorant but I feel it even while offline on cs and even on desktop.
It feels like I have insane input lag and it feels like I'm basically 3 seconds behind everyone in the game.
It isn't always like that, it can go from insanely floaty with input lag to laggy but more playable.
Today it feels like my sens has doubled, mouse is uncontrollable and I can't burst, a slight click and it shoots 5 bullets.
Windows are stripped down so nothing is running on the background, temps are fine, internet seems to be fine aswell.
try to install os via ventoy (with revi os config), that is blocked windows update. Do not install custom, just check w11 iso from ms tool and LTSC build w10

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 13 May 2024, 18:07

widow13 wrote:

Oh dear! I don't want to jump the gun here, but how long have you been having those issues? When did they start? Do you recall a certain hardware change that triggered this? Say, upgrading a PC or so? Or just randomly started experiencing those laggy days?
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

widow13

Post by widow13 » 14 May 2024, 05:33

Slender wrote:
13 May 2024, 16:21
widow13 wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
widow13 wrote:

these are my specs.
try to install os via ventoy (with revi os config), that is blocked windows update. Do not install custom, just check w11 iso from ms tool and LTSC build w10
I've tried that but it still comes back.

widow13

Post by widow13 » 14 May 2024, 05:34

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
13 May 2024, 18:07
widow13 wrote:

Oh dear! I don't want to jump the gun here, but how long have you been having those issues? When did they start? Do you recall a certain hardware change that triggered this? Say, upgrading a PC or so? Or just randomly started experiencing those laggy days?
This is the 4th pc I've been having this issue with. 3-4 years long problem.
Tried different isps,new hardware,new monitor, everything you can think off.
When I go out for work and come back a week later PC works better by a lot for the first 3days-week at best(unplugged while I'm gone).
You literally go from insane to feeling like a newbie that gets destroyed by everyone and my experience is more than 10k+ hours of FPS games. It just doesn't feel normal to me.
I ordered a double conversion UPS today as a last resort, if that doesn't help I'll just quit gaming because I don't see my hair staying on my head for long if I keep going like this.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 14 May 2024, 09:46

widow13 wrote:
14 May 2024, 05:34
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
widow13 wrote:

When I go out for work and come back a week later PC works better by a lot for the first 3days-week at best(unplugged while I'm gone).
You literally go from insane to feeling like a newbie that gets destroyed by everyone and my experience is more than 10k+ hours of FPS games. It just doesn't feel normal to me.
I ordered a double conversion UPS today as a last resort, if that doesn't help I'll just quit gaming because I don't see my hair staying on my head for long if I keep going like this.
Yea that's what I thought, everything you said now is just pointing out to the weird "God knows what" issue that everyone else in here is having. Some say it's electrical, some say it's High RF interference, others claim it's your body that is causing it. As far as I know, there's literally no proof to any of those claims. No one was able to scientifically measure it. Do not change your hardware thinking that it might help, I can tell you, as almost everyone else, that it won't help.

DO you recall when you started having this issue?

Slender

Post by Slender » 14 May 2024, 14:02

widow13 wrote:
14 May 2024, 05:34
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
widow13 wrote:

i have online ups with double conversion. It can help only if you have V-drop in your socet (my socet 210v), ups stabilize it (it may a little help with heavy mouse), but ups generate a lot of EMI, that not fix. Try to play with that ups 2-3 days and send it back, because i think you have different problem.
install chipset drivers and say what you have in "event", if you have message like: device not started, you have bad.