How is the target refresh rate determined in windowed G-Sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: How is the target refresh rate determined in windowed G-Sync?

Post by RealNC » 23 May 2024, 08:16

Unless my research on that front is outdated, I believe laptops cannot have a g-sync module (or any scaler module,) since the display is driven directly by the integrated GPU (the Nvidia GPU needs to pass through it) so there's no point in the "compatible" label. They're always shown as "capable."
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

PositronCannon

Post by PositronCannon » 23 May 2024, 08:43

RealNC wrote:
23 May 2024, 08:16
Unless my research on that front is outdated, I believe laptops cannot have a g-sync module (or any scaler module,) since the display is driven directly by the integrated GPU (the Nvidia GPU needs to pass through it) so there's no point in the "compatible" label. They're always shown as "capable."
As far as I know, that's only the case for laptops without a MUX switch. With a MUX switch, you can choose which GPU you want to be connected to the display, and in my case I've always had it set to exclusively use the Nvidia GPU, so the iGPU is inactive and not a part of the display process. See this comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/ ... h/h28c75v/

Still, it is entirely possible that even with a directly connected dGPU there could be some differences between how G-Sync works in laptops regardless, or even specific models. Who knows really.

PositronCannon

Post by PositronCannon » 08 Jun 2024, 10:22

I took the chance since I was getting a new SSD to go ahead and install W10 on it, just to test this behavior as that was the only variable I had left (that I can actually control). But no luck, it's the exact same behavior as on W11. I am now officially out of ideas, and can only assume it's some quirk specific to how this laptop handles G-Sync. Oh well, setting refresh rate and v-sync type manually per game it is then...