Sub Pixel Accuracy Virtual Mouse Pointer Program

Talk to software developers and aspiring geeks. Programming tips. Improve motion fluidity. Reduce input lag. Come Present() yourself!
Post Reply
User avatar
sharknice
Posts: 296
Joined: 23 Dec 2013, 17:16
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Sub Pixel Accuracy Virtual Mouse Pointer Program

Post by sharknice » 28 Sep 2026, 13:58

I made a virtual mouse pointer for windwos desktop that uses raw mouse input and keeps virtual mouse coordinates with sub-pixel precision. I render a 3D cone as a mouse pointer and adjust it's position to point between pixels, at the subpixel instead of a rounded integer like a 2D pointer has to.

How it works is you max out the DPI on your mouse (for mine 25,600) then set your raw count per virtual pixel to adjust the speed.
I set mine to 32 which makes it function the same as 800 DPI. 25,600/32 = 800. But makes the movement 32X as smooth.
screen-shot.png
screen-shot.png (595 Bytes) Viewed 74 times
I just made this program for myself as an experiment. It doersn't have a nice interface or anything and the raw count per pixels is hard coded to 32. Is anyone else interested in it or think it could actually be useful to people? Maybe I could polish it and add customization or just open source it if people have interest.

User avatar
RealNC
Site Admin
Posts: 4653
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32
Contact:

Re: Sub Pixel Accuracy Virtual Mouse Pointer Program

Post by RealNC » 28 Sep 2026, 14:04

Neat. Not interested in it myself though, mouse pointer is already pretty smooth on a 110PPI screen :mrgreen:
Steam • GitHub • Stack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Post Reply