Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen with G-

Breaking news in the gaming monitor industry! Press releases, new monitors, rumors. IPS, OLED, 144Hz, G-SYNC, Ultrawides, etc. Submit news you see online!
Vega

Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen with G-

Post by Vega » 22 Jan 2015, 15:00

Acer are set to release a couple of new gaming screens later this year in a large curved 34" size, and 21:9 ultra-wide format. There are apparently going to be two versions offered although we've not got the full spec or clarification of the differences yet. We know one model will be the XR341CK which we believe to have a 3440 x 1440 resolution. There is apparently going to be a 144Hz + G-sync and a non-G-sync option available although we're not sure of the product name differences. We haven't got confirmation of the panel technology being used either yet and product specs are still being finalised. There is suggestion from the information that we've seen that there will be a lower res 2560 x 1080 version as well, but again we're not sure of the details yet. More on these as we get them, but we're sure the thought of a 34" curved ultra-wide screen with 3440 x 1440, 144Hz refresh rate and G-sync is bound to be of interest to a lot of readers. Let's hope that's all true and works out.

These screens are expected to go in to mass production in Q2 2015 so availability is yet to be confirmed. No word on price yet either.

sharknice

Re: Acer Predator XR341CK 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Screen wit

Post by sharknice » 22 Jan 2015, 20:30

Nice find. I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one.

flood

Post by flood » 22 Jan 2015, 21:54

i think that if it's not advertised as ips its probably just tn again

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 22 Jan 2015, 23:22

flood wrote:i think that if it's not advertised as ips its probably just tn again
At least the curve will help with the viewing angles. I would prefer it be TN over IPS though. I seriously doubt any IPS at 144hz will look nearly as good as a 1 ms TN.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 23 Jan 2015, 03:08

flood wrote:i think that if it's not advertised as ips its probably just tn again
Seriously doubt they would put TN on something like its. I bet you 99% its the new AHVA.

But even if it turns out to be TN... then it means we will get the first 21:9, highest res ULMB monitor.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 23 Jan 2015, 03:24

I'm really interested in this monitor. It still isn't 4K, but the aspect ratio, the fact it's curved, the size and the highest width*height*refresh_rate result out there (except for that 5k 60Hz monitor) are very positive aspects.

If I get a job (it will probably be soon, I hope), I'll probably buy the G-Sync version, alongside a next generation Nvidia GPU (I guess this will need DP1.3). I suppose it will support 3D Vision 2.

Chief, if you're around here, did you tell Nvidia about how good 60Hz ULMB would be? :P It will be hard to get high fps at this monitor's resolution.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 23 Jan 2015, 06:11

masterotaku wrote:I'm really interested in this monitor. It still isn't 4K, but the aspect ratio, the fact it's curved, the size and the highest width*height*refresh_rate result out there (except for that 5k 60Hz monitor) are very positive aspects.

If I get a job (it will probably be soon, I hope), I'll probably buy the G-Sync version, alongside a next generation Nvidia GPU (I guess this will need DP1.3). I suppose it will support 3D Vision 2.

Chief, if you're around here, did you tell Nvidia about how good 60Hz ULMB would be? :P It will be hard to get high fps at this monitor's resolution.
Fuck 4k sideways. This will be very sharp already. And OLED will come before we see a 5k 21:9, so i wouldnt hold my breath.

Also, 60hz ULMB will flicker so hard your eyes will melt.
Flicker in general is a very bad idea for your eyes, but some people have learned to cope with one defect to do away another, still the min hz to use strobing @ is 100.

Sorry for swearing, i just really dislike people making complaints @ hardware that we have been waiting for so long and finally get.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 23 Jan 2015, 06:26

Edmond wrote: Fuck 4k sideways. This will be very sharp already. And OLED will come before we see a 5k 21:9, so i wouldnt hold my breath.
My concern about 4K is not for games (requirements would be too high). It's about playing future 4K video at native or higher resolution. I like watching things in my bedroom, where I don't have to wear glasses because I'm still near the screen (myopia and astigmatism). Anyway, this monitor seems very very good, and watching wide movies must be awesome.
Edmond wrote:Also, 60hz ULMB will flicker so hard your eyes will melt.
I can stand it in games (not so much in desktop). I prefer that flickering 1000 times over motion blur. I just want the option, it's not like anyone would force you to use ULMB at 60Hz.
Edmond wrote:Sorry for swearing, i just really dislike people making complaints @ hardware that we have been waiting for so long and finally get.
No problem. I'm not even complaining, just wishing for some features that are still unknown :lol: .

By the way, as it is curved, would that compensate the fisheye effect of wide FoV in games?
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 23 Jan 2015, 18:04

masterotaku wrote: By the way, as it is curved, would that compensate the fisheye effect of wide FoV in games?
Ye, i have no clue.
Games with poor support outside of 16:9 usually have that problem.

The thing is had a 21:9 for quite a while and i never had any fish eye problems, even in old games which didnt even have support for the resolution and needed to be "fixed".

And games with good support will still have the fisheye effect if you run them on 3x 16:9. The far halves of the side monitors will be stretched to hell and back always, regardless of the game. And its not like you ever even notice those parts in any way. So i would say that 21:9 is about the width you would want and its immersive as holy balls.
Some might say 3 monitors is therefore more immersive... i think having no bezels is better tho.