LG 24GM77 monitor, a 144Hz monitor with a “lightboost” clone

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG 24GM77 monitor, a 144Hz monitor with a “lightboost” c

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Aug 2014, 21:13

lol37 wrote:we're getting lost on thoses "lightboost wannabe" strobing backlight...

apart lightboost&ULMB, which one has an accelerated scan-out ?
- They aren't really LightBoost "wannabes". They're actual vendor-supported official blur reduction strobe backlights, second-generation. LightBoost is first generation -- LightBoost was actually originally designed for 3D Vision 2, but was more popular for motion blur elimination instead. After LightBoost, strobe backlights has become popular in high-refresh-rate gaming monitors.

- All of the known ones (LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240) does accelerated scanout automatically, and the rest (BENQ Z-Series) can do accelerated scanout via large vertical total tricks. (Accelerated scanout and longer idle period between refresh cycles, is a common pre-requisite for high-quality strobe backlights.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 26 Aug 2014, 05:04

Alamar wrote:For me what is interesting - is this monitor native 8bit?
And what other 120+ tn monitors are native 8bit without dithering/shimmering (beside rog swift)?
As it is without gsync probably price will be appropriately lower.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... &catid=948
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... &catid=948

The only two REAL 8bit color TN`s above 100hz that i know of.

There are overclockable IPS/PLS korean monitors. Almost all of them can hold 100hz. They are beautiful, but prepare for fuckton of ghosting if u every try anything fast paced.

But, honestly, nowadays... a non-gsync/freesync monitor should not even come up in your mind if you plan to game on it.

lol37

Post by lol37 » 26 Aug 2014, 08:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
lol37 wrote:we're getting lost on thoses "lightboost wannabe" strobing backlight...

apart lightboost&ULMB, which one has an accelerated scan-out ?
- They aren't really LightBoost "wannabes". They're actual vendor-supported official blur reduction strobe backlights, second-generation. LightBoost is first generation -- LightBoost was actually originally designed for 3D Vision 2, but was more popular for motion blur elimination instead. After LightBoost, strobe backlights has become popular in high-refresh-rate gaming monitors.

- All of the known ones (LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240) does accelerated scanout automatically, and the rest (BENQ Z-Series) can do accelerated scanout via large vertical total tricks. (Accelerated scanout and longer idle period between refresh cycles, is a common pre-requisite for high-quality strobe backlights.)
one knows what's the frequency speed of the refresh scan out lightboost/ULMB panels ?
i saw somewhere there it lets 2ms+blank interval space, on a 120hz scale, it would be 6ms+2ms blank like
if TURBO240 does 240hz internall at 120hz, would be 4ms+4ms of blank interval right ?

DiceAir

Post by DiceAir » 09 Mar 2015, 04:01

So there's a special on this monitor from a local pc shop and thinking of getting it but I first want to find out what exactly is this dynamic action sync mode. All they say is reduce input lag but is it like freesync and gsync or just plain marketing?

flood

Post by flood » 09 Mar 2015, 06:03

probably marketing stuff, but it's a good monitor regardless. according to prad.de at least

kwazi

Post by kwazi » 09 Mar 2015, 15:45

I have this monitor and I'm considering returning it since I mainly bought this monitor to prevent the double image effect for tracking horizontal targets. What's really weird is that the effect is consistent from top to bottom and very uniform. I also noticed some inverted image trails as well. I've no idea if there's a way to customize it but I wish there was. Any ideas on what I could try to make it better?

As odd as this sounds, lots of frames + 144hz + DAS mode = smoother display with fast side to side mouse movements vs motion 240. It's still choppy and has double images but it's less harsh than using motion 240 from my experiences. Still thinking I should return this and get a benq; the input lag difference can't be that huge and I've always wanted freedom from choppy horizontal movement.

So I don't get double images on opera (I see image trailing and the double images but they're lighter) but I get choppiness in game, double images on both chrome and firefox. I have no idea what's going on. If I move my mouse faster than a certain speed things ingame get pretty choppy and I assume blur reduction is supposed to stop that? I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding what blur reduction is actually supposed to do.

DiceAir

Post by DiceAir » 10 Mar 2015, 09:59

Well i'm running a qnix 2560x1440 @ 96hz and I though ok this monitpor is 144hz and has less input lag and so on it might be better but I'm actually still deciding if I should just wait for freesync/G-sync and ips 2560x1440 @ 120/144hz. This will cost a lot but will keep me happy for many years to come.

I still need more info on this DAS mode. Does it work like g-sync/freesync where it keeps the fps and refresh rate in sync?

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 10 Mar 2015, 10:24

kwazi wrote:I have this monitor and I'm considering returning it since I mainly bought this monitor to prevent the double image effect for tracking horizontal targets. What's really weird is that the effect is consistent from top to bottom and very uniform. I also noticed some inverted image trails as well.
Heh, it seems that only ULMB and Lightboost do this right (and I still don't know how the Eizo FG2421 is in this regard) without big overdrive artifacts.
kwazi wrote:I've no idea if there's a way to customize it but I wish there was. Any ideas on what I could try to make it better?
I don't have that monitor, but try looking for overdrive settings. If you don't find anything, the service menu may have extra options.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

kwazi

Post by kwazi » 10 Mar 2015, 11:35

It works fine on opera with windows aero but there is zero difference between turning it off and on in games which really confuses me. I'm thinking it's my card or my computer not being able to output constant 120 but I easily cap framerates in tf2... so I don't know if it's the monitor or what. Maybe I should get a g-sync capable monitor to eliminate microstutters instead.

DiceAir

Post by DiceAir » 10 Mar 2015, 11:48

So i've decided against this monitor cause i can't find out what Dynamic action sync means. Although it sound stupid not to get 144hz but if I can't trust a feature how can i trust this monitor. Just saying it reduces lag is not good enough