EVERYONE UPDATE TO V4 FIRMWARE IF YOU CAN!! NEW AMA MODE!!!!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

EVERYONE UPDATE TO V4 FIRMWARE IF YOU CAN!! NEW AMA MODE!!!!

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Mar 2015, 05:44

On 2720Z, new AMA makes ghosting almost 100% identical to lightboost.
You must be running V4 firmware.

To get it, turn on BBR
Then set AMA to off (or premium) then back to High.
Enjoy LIGHTBOOST levels of ghosting! (the inverse ghosting is toned down massively In this "MBR/AMA high" (Default is MBR/high, instead of MBR AMA high)

(note:
Toggling any strobe phase/strobe duty or toggling Blur reduction back off and on will change back to the old level.
This change is MOST obvious on Test UFO's alien invasion. NIGHT AND DAY IMPROVEMENT!
THIS MAKES V4 WORTH FLASHING WITH THE LINUX USB DISK. I suggest ALL of you upgrade!!

I simply can not believe this...

Only difference now between this and lightboost is LB has accelerated scanout so crosstalk at top/bottom is even less than VT 1500.
But this is as good as it gets.
I suspect XL2430T and XL2730Z might have this as default. Someone needs to do a test on these monitors...

boulmerbear

Re: EVERYONE UPDATE TO V4 FIRMWARE IF YOU CAN!! NEW AMA MODE

Post by boulmerbear » 24 Mar 2015, 08:28

Hey, do you know if the inprovments will work with console games?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Mar 2015, 08:35

Yeah it definitely should, but the lower the refresh rate, the worse the ghosting, so you might not get as many benfits at 60 hz. 60 hz single strobe looks worse than 100hz single strobe, and even the AMA change doesn't really improve things that much (at 60 hz). It just goes from awful (normal blur reduction without toggling AMA) to less than awful. 60hz is already so bad, that toggling AMA off then on at 60hz still looks worse than 100hz at default blur reduction. 100 hz and 120hz are much better with this.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 24 Mar 2015, 09:29

I'm just about to send a ticket to BenQ Europe's technical support requesting the new firmware. I can wait a few days, and I don't want the (possible?) risk of bricking my XL2411Z by using a XL2420Z firmware :lol: . If someone gets the XL2411Z V4 firmware before me, post it, please. I'll do it if I'm the first.

Edit: aaand done. Now I have to wait for an answer.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 24 Mar 2015, 17:18

On their downloads page they have NOTHING for one of their 'highest' end monitor XL2420G, it kinda feels like they don't want to acknowledge it or something. or have the latest "v4" firmware to download.

http://gaming.benq.com/downloads/

Their lack of support seams to be redonkulous. Do we now have to email BenQ every 6months to know if there is a new firmware for a monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2015, 12:37

From the Blur Busters Strobe Utility perspective, the XL2420G doesn't need a firmware upgrade, as it already has nearly all the fixes that the Z-Series already has. The BENQ XL2420G is Strobe Utility compatible.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Mar 2015, 13:06

Just to add, what I was talking to masterotaku about.
Using the new AMA brings lightboost quality overdrive to the Z series, however as everyone full well knows, most lightboost monitors had weak contrast, and the ones that had high (~1000:1) contrast, e.g.the 27" models (the same models that do NOT get a washed out lower gamma point from increasing refresh rate from 60 to 144), so you will still have more 'normal' ghosting.

Using the new AMA removes most of the inverse ghosting, but actually -intensifies- normal ghosting on some color transitions (not visible on test ufo's alien invasion, but highly visible in call of duty black ops, when looking at telephone pole wires against a grey cloudy sky). To fix this, drop the contrast to 10 or lower. 10 will have very faint ghosting, while 0 will have virtually NO ghosting at all (will be identical to VG248QE's lightboost).

(Using contrast 0 with normal BBR, without using the new AMA, will, on the COD black ops 1 example, show "transparent/translucent ghosting on the telephone wires (they will appear faint spectral (!) white instead of faint dark). Then you can toggle to new AMA and see the spectral ghosting completely vanish.

The drawback to such low levels of ghosting is, well, weak contrast and a washed out image (just like 24" lightboost). This new mode looks BETTER than lightboost mode itself on the 27". (dropping contrast to 0 on the 27" in Nvidia lightboost mode shows translucent spectral ghosting (again), pretty obvious in windows when moving the mouse cursor around a light background. Those who hate the ghosting of BBR and the overdrive artifacts are going to be in eye heaven when they use new AMA with contrast 0. But upping the contrast slightly, to 10, might be a good tradeoff.

Note: changing brightness (even by one point), or the service menu values for strobe duty, strobe phase or even toggling single strobe on/off will instantly revert to the original AMA. (also goes for resolution changes).

*Edit*
Tested new premium more carefully (turn on MBR, then set AMA to premium).
Premiums inverse is slightly reduced after doing this. Looks better than V2's original AMA high (same amount of inverse ghosting, normal ghosting toned down on many transitions. Did NOT test normal ghosting; no idea if 43 contrast will be ok or not).
Last edited by Falkentyne on 27 Mar 2015, 08:55, edited 2 times in total.

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 27 Mar 2015, 04:35

I will soon receive my XL2411Z. Ordered a couple of days ago. Will be interesting to test the tools and tricks here.
Thank Chief for these forums. :)

error-id10t

Post by error-id10t » 30 Mar 2015, 02:42

Still no luck with Xl2411Z firmware v4 from anyone..?
4790K (Broke)
G3258 (@ x48, little beast)
970 G1 Gaming SLI (returned, lacking vRAM for some reason..)
iGPU (waiting for AMD to deliver something nice)
XL2411Z (firmware V4 thanks to people here)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 30 Mar 2015, 02:55

Nope, no one has dumped it yet. Rather surprising.
Still waiting for some brave soul to flash a 2420Z firmware into the 2411Z with the Ubuntu Linux USB drive (no idea how Mstar units will work for cross flashing).

If it fails, it can be recovered easily with Linux (after all people recovered their firmware after they flashed a 0-byted firmware because they forgot the merge command to merge the 800k bin file with the 2 MB dummy file to resize it to 2 mb).

The monitor circuitry is the same. No doubt the display will at least get a screen.

Also it looks a LOT like 60 hz single strobe is improved. Not sure if there's less flicker or not than V2 60hz ,but there's a definite improvement in motion blur reduction. Might greatly affect console gaming for sure.