G-SYNC enabled = crazy PC lag

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
bardwooders

G-SYNC enabled = crazy PC lag

Post by bardwooders » 10 Sep 2015, 22:56

Hi guys,

I just picked up an Acer XB270HU, and I love it so far - the colors are great, refresh rate is nice, yada yada.

That said, I downloaded the G-SYNC Pendulum Demo to test out the difference of G-SYNC vs V-SYNC, and came across a very strange issue.

Whenever G-Sync is enabled on the top menu, I experience extremely huge lag spikes - my framerate on the left randomly drops to 1 (yes, 1 fps) and then jumps back up to ~40. This happens once every 5 seconds or so, with 5 seconds of smoothness, and then a 1-2 second drop where my whole PC lags out until it catches up again.

Toggling the mode to V-Sync works perfectly - no lag issues, no random drops/crazy mouse input lag for 1-2 seconds.

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 10 and the latest nVidia drivers. I've toggled on the indicator to show when G-Sync is on, and it's definitely on when the issue occurs.

Here's my system:

i7-3770K
16 GB RAM
GTX 980

Any ideas what's happening here? I'd love to start using G-Sync, but it's completely unbearable. If I launch a game in fullscreen mode (not just the Pendulum demo), the same thing happens. Everything is fine for 5 seconds, and then it suddenly drops with a loss of control for 1-2 seconds - repeat.

The issue actually goes away if I drop the resolution from 2560x1440 - maybe that has something to do with it? :?

Thanks in advance.

Luck100

Re: G-SYNC enabled = crazy PC lag

Post by Luck100 » 11 Sep 2015, 05:38

I have the same monitor, G-sync has been working perfectly in the pendulum demo and games for a few weeks now. My system:

i7-3770K
16 GB ram
GTX 970 SLI
Win 7 Pro.

If I had to guess it's most likely a Windows 10 issue, but that's just a guess. I'd say try wiping your drivers and re-installing. There's also a few different drivers released for Win 10 at this point - try other ones if yours is having problems.

furtsiv

Post by furtsiv » 21 Jan 2016, 06:51

yeah ,i would say drivers issue

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Jan 2016, 23:34

Disable anti-viruses and background processes? i heard of a similar issue not with g-sync and his anti-virus was the issue.

It's so hard to tell what could be the problem but we can't see it in action.

pygmy

Post by pygmy » 03 Jun 2016, 11:30

Make sure V-Sync is set to ON when enabling G-Sync.