Overclocked Dell U3011 to 90Hz at 1080p

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Logun

Overclocked Dell U3011 to 90Hz at 1080p

Post by Logun » 18 Jan 2014, 23:23

Customer resolution handled through Nvidia control panel.

Tested via UFO.

I took a look at both Bioshock 1 and Borderlands 2 but couldn't tell a difference at all. Am I the only one? Shouldn't the difference between 60 and 90 be fairly noticeable?

nimbulan

Re: Overclocked Dell U3011 to 90Hz at 1080p

Post by nimbulan » 19 Jan 2014, 04:05

Logun wrote:Customer resolution handled through Nvidia control panel.

Tested via UFO.

I took a look at both Bioshock 1 and Borderlands 2 but couldn't tell a difference at all. Am I the only one? Shouldn't the difference between 60 and 90 be fairly noticeable?
It should be, but since it's an IPS panel the blur caused by the slow pixel response time may be obscuring the increased framerate. I would also make sure you're testing with vsync on since screen tearing will make it much harder to see the difference. When I first used a 75 Hz LCD it was noticably smoother in Team Fortress 2 compared to my previous 60 Hz LCD, so going to 90 Hz should be quite visible.

Logun

Post by Logun » 19 Jan 2014, 10:27

Vsync was definitely on as I tried with it off as well.

I also don't notice the slow response on IPS. I tried resting with bio shock 1 because I always feel that it's very clunky.

What games do other people use to test with?

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 19 Jan 2014, 12:26

Were you getting 90fps?

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 19 Jan 2014, 14:56

A thought just came to mind. You said you tested using UFO, does that mean you used the standard UFO test or did you use the frame skipping test?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2014, 14:59

Logun wrote:I took a look at both Bioshock 1 and Borderlands 2 but couldn't tell a difference at all. Am I the only one? Shouldn't the difference between 60 and 90 be fairly noticeable?
This is a normal problem for slower LCDs that have a slow pixel response and when frame rates do not get close to refresh rate.
- Slow LCD response increases ghosting/blur during motion, that obscures benefits of higher refresh rate
- Frame rates far lower than refresh rate will not show noticeable improvement.
- Lack of 1000hz gaming mouse will add mouse micro stutter that obscures benefits of higher refresh rate.

Sometimes you will notice a bit of improvement despite the too-slow pixel response if you use fully capped out frame rates. Try testing 90fps animations such as http://www.testufo.com/photo

Alternatively, upgrade to a 120hz monitor such as http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors and make sure you get an optional strobe backlight too because they make a big clarity difference, if you play lots of games. Some people prefer CRT-clarity over colours. If colours are critical, then try the EIZO FG2421 as the brightest and most colourful non-TN strobed monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Logun

Post by Logun » 19 Jan 2014, 15:02

I used both the frameskipping and framerate tests along with the RefreshRateMultitool.

I was getting 90FPS as observed by MSIAfterburning monitoring tool

Logun

Post by Logun » 19 Jan 2014, 15:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote: - Slow LCD response increases ghosting/blur during motion, that obscures benefits of higher refresh rate
- Frame rates far lower than refresh rate will not show noticeable improvement.
- Lack of 1000hz gaming mouse will add mouse micro stutter that obscures benefits of higher refresh rate.

Sometimes you will notice a bit of improvement despite the too-slow pixel response if you use fully capped out frame rates. Try testing 90fos animations such as http://www.testufo.com/photo

Alternatively, upgrade to a 120hz monitor such as http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-monitors and make sure you get an optional strobe backlight too because they make a big clarity difference, if you play lots of games. Some people prefer CRT-clarity over colours. If colours are critical, then try the EIZO FG2421 as the brightest and most colourful non-TN strobed monitor.
Thanks - I'm hoping it's just a slow response issue. I have a Seiki 39" 4K arriving on Wed. and I will using it for 1080p @ 120Hz so I'm hoping it's everything I've been dreaming.

Colours are not *critical* but imo the change from TN to IPS is almost akin to the change from VHS to DVD. (if I can make the analogy work)

I'll give the photo test a shot now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2014, 15:13

Logun wrote:I used both the frameskipping and framerate tests along with the RefreshRateMultitool.
I was getting 90FPS as observed by MSIAfterburning monitoring tool
The difference between 60fps and 90fps is very subtle on 5ms-and-slower LCDs (real world is more than 10ms, enough to streak the frames to obscure max possible improvement of 90hz. Much like an old 33ms LCD of over a decade ago, but at faster timescales)

Do you see a clarity difference in http://www.testufo.com/photo?
If so, try temporarily turning VSYNC ON and use keyboard strafe left/right in front of high detail textures.
That test will bypass the mouse microstutter weak link, and the VSYNC OFF microstutter weak link.
Assuming nonstop 90fps at 90Hz with no frame slowdowns.

Difference will be more dramatic on a faster LCD, especially strobed, see comparison photos at http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/
Newer 2013-era strobed TN is measured to have 12 times sharper motion, and the FG2421 is measured to have more than 6x sharper fast motion. IPS is good for still images but becomes disgustingly blurry VHS quality in fast motion. If you want high def CRT clarity in fast motion, you need strobed such as Lightboost, ULMB, Turbo240, etc.

SEIKI will be better but it is not strobed, so it will be only up to 2x clearer fast motion, not 12x clearer.
Persistence becomes strobe length on strobed displays, rather than refresh length. Most 2ms non strobed displays have 1/60 = 16.7ms persistence. GtG is what the manufacturer quotes, and not the important persistence value. Persistence is is explained at http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking ..... Pixel GTG transition is not the cause of motion blur on modern LCD panels, as it is now a tiny fraction of a refresh cycle on faster panels, as explained in the educational animation.

I personally can't wait for strobed IPS or low persistence (rolling scan) desktop OLED.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Logun

Post by Logun » 19 Jan 2014, 15:14

The photo test says 90/90 and valid however if I let it run for a minute or so a tear will appear on the picture and move from top to bottom. What would this be indicative of?

I assume there is no impact to having a second monitor running while performing this test?