Am I actually using LightBoost? :-)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
JakeNQuake

Am I actually using LightBoost? :-)

Post by JakeNQuake » 20 Dec 2013, 16:51

So, I had issues with ToastyX strobelight. Instead of using that I just made a Lightboost 120Hz the only mode using the ToastyX utility. So it *looks* like I'm in LightBoost mode, but is there any way to be 100%? When I hit the OSD button it does say "3D Mode" or something.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Am I actually using LightBoost? :-)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2013, 16:57

JakeNQuake wrote:So, I had issues with ToastyX strobelight. Instead of using that I just made a Lightboost 120Hz the only mode using the ToastyX utility. So it *looks* like I'm in LightBoost mode, but is there any way to be 100%? When I hit the OSD button it does say "3D Mode" or something.
That's definitely LightBoost. If you see 3D mode, then LightBoost is enabled.

LightBoost Text Readability Test
Also check out TestUFO Panning Map Test -- http://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto-map.png --
You should now be able to be able to read the map labels in a fast-panning map:

Test Prerequisites: Your computer needs to be running a recent web browser (Chrome, FireFox, Opera, system requirements), Aero mode enabled, primary monitor, on a GPU, then you should be able to read the map labels above in LightBoost mode. You can't in regular 60Hz or 120Hz. If you can, then LightBoost is certainly enabled -- it is normally impossible to read through regular LCD motion blur, except on strobe-backlight LCDs.

Likewise, you will now be able to see fine details during fast strafing / turning / panning in games, just like on a CRT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

JakeNQuake

Post by JakeNQuake » 20 Dec 2013, 17:39

You're the man. Thanks :-0

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Dec 2013, 17:58

You're welcome!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shadman

Post by shadman » 25 Dec 2013, 04:52

Just wondering, but is there any way to tell using the second method of enabling Lightboost though the 3D emitter?

My friend has an older Acer and the first method (Lightboost program) did not work. However, he does own a 3D emitter and went into game in 3D mode, turned 3D off via keypress, and played around. Unfortunately, neither of us could really tell the difference from before, leading me to believe it might not have been successfully turned on, or that monitor might not be as good as the BenQ with Lightboost on.

So, how can I tell in this situation?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Dec 2013, 13:35

shadman wrote:Just wondering, but is there any way to tell using the second method of enabling Lightboost though the 3D emitter?
My friend has an older Acer and the first method (Lightboost program) did not work.
Are you sure it *does* have LightBoost?
Only the Acer double-B model has LightBoost (HN274HB-bmiiid).
The older Acer model with the single letter B, (HN274H-bmiiid) does not have LightBoost, so it is not suprising you never see a difference.

In the chance you have the newer Acer, try enabling 3D mode at the Windows desktop and then viewing the TestUFO Panning Map Test animation above. If you cannot read the map labels, then LightBoost is not working.

Finally, don't forget you need framerate=stroberate. Strobing doesn't always look beneficial when you have a framerate much lower than the stroberate. You need to view 120fps@120Hz motion, especially panning/strafing/turning via an ultrasmooth method of control (keyboard or 1000Hz mouse). It's the same problem as CRT 30fps@60Hz (slow, double-image feel) versus CRT 60fps@60Hz (arcade style perfect motion = LightBoost). You need flickerate=framerate. LightBoost behaves like a CRT that can only run at 100-120Hz, due to artificial vendor limiting on LightBoost strobe rate to flash only between 100-120 strobes a second.

And even if you succeed, I should point out that older monitors like the Acer and Version 1.0 of XL2420T, does a poorer job of LightBoost. For better LightBoost, most newer ASUS/BENQ monitors work well, beginning with the venerable VG278H which is still considered one of the best LightBoost monitors in the IQ department (no LightBoost tinting problem!). And although contrast ratio of LightBoost is lacking in some of the inexpensive models (e.g. ASUS VG248QE), they do a great job of eliminating ghosting/overdrive in strobe mode, for a near-perfect CRT motion effect, when you ignore color issues.

shadman

Post by shadman » 27 Dec 2013, 04:13

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to ask my friend soon, and see what model it is. Then if its the correct model, I'll maybe run those tests and see if it looks decent enough to use, though understandable it will never look as great as newer models.