[G-SYNC Kit] WARNING! Be careful with brown clip/blue ribbon

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
frankzotynia10

Re: [G-SYNC Kit] WARNING! Be careful with brown clip/blue ri

Post by frankzotynia10 » 18 Jan 2014, 13:33

well i got my DIY kit on tuesday and did this same exact thing. i got in touch with nvidia and they said thanks for letting us know about this and we will let you know if there is anything we can do for you. :x my brown clip came clean off and ripped off the board. now i have no front controls. It wouldn't be a problem but now i have 0 access to ULMB. I'd really hate to take the monitor apart again to try to fix it but i may have to. is there anyway to control ULMB in the nvidia control panel?

i can solder but i've never had any luck fixing pcb traces.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 18 Jan 2014, 14:07

Where is the contact information for nVidia regarding G-sync? I can't find any in the materials that came with my kit or in the shipping email. I'd like to ask them about the tearline I've been seeing since I seem to be the only one.

frankzotynia10

Post by frankzotynia10 » 18 Jan 2014, 14:41

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch - selected Other under product and i spoke to Sanjib.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2014, 14:35

frankzotynia10 wrote:http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch - selected Other under product and i spoke to Sanjib.
Contact them again and said blur busters said to refer to Bryan del Rizzo, as he has been helpful.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 19 Jan 2014, 15:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
frankzotynia10 wrote:http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch - selected Other under product and i spoke to Sanjib.
Contact them again and said blur busters said to refer to Bryan del Rizzo, as he has been helpful.
That's a good idea since he's the head PR manager for consumer products and my shipment email said he's the one who sent out the G-sync kits. Hopefully he has some technical knowledge as well.

frankzotynia10

Post by frankzotynia10 » 19 Jan 2014, 15:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
thank you. i'm going to send them a message now. i'm hoping they might be able to advance me a new board so I don't have to go a week with no monitor.

cirthix

Post by cirthix » 20 Jan 2014, 03:47

I can resolder them if nvidia won't help, broken traces are probably OK too, since I have a gsync kit and an find out where they go if needed. Pay shipping both ways and toss your vg248he stock electronics in ;).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2014, 16:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I'm looking for someone to take these photos while installing Kit
I need time lapse step-by-step photographs of disengaging the brown connector and re-engaging the brown connector, with full commentary.
photo1: empty brown socket
photo2: touching brown socket in correct location (fingers) -- do not use tools.
photo3: sliding clip on brown socket properly
photo4: properly flipping clip upwards
photo5: connecting the blue ribbon cable
photo6: re-engaging the clip on brown socket
photo7: brown socket with blue ribbon cable
(or more than that, but you get the idea)
These step by step photos will teach people how to properly attach ribbon cable to the brown socket.
The above will help save others from trouble
NVIDIA recommends that you never use tools to try and open it.
This is a very fragile connector, and has widely shown to be the biggest point of risk during the G-SYNC Kit Upgrade. It's a multiple-step disengagement; slide then flip open. The brown tab pulls away horizontally first popping up diagonally. We're trying to obtain close-up photos to make this step easier and safer.

NVIDIA said you can contact them to arrange for a replacement board for this. Solar/ch0b0/zachska87, when you get your replacement kit, would you like to volunteer to take the above suggested photos? Of the various steps of handling this connector safely and gently? You can practice on the old brown connector (before returning to NVIDIA) so you're proficient before photographing this critical step of the new install. With these new photos, we'll post step by step instructions to lower the risk of an install for future users.

Once prebuilt GSYNC monitors ships, this is history, so we pay the price to be early to the GSYNC party, and a lot of us are enjoying it immensely!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 20 Jan 2014, 16:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:NVIDIA said you can contact them to arrange for a replacement board for this. nimbulan/zachska87, when you get your replacement kit, can you volunteer to take the above suggested photos of the various steps of handling this connector safely and gently?
I didn't have any issues with mine, you must have gotten names mixed up?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jan 2014, 17:04

nimbulan wrote:I didn't have any issues with mine, you must have gotten names mixed up?
Whoops -- fixed the names. Thanks!