G-SYNC: Doesn't support 3D mode? (and neither does ULMB?)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
sofakng

G-SYNC: Doesn't support 3D mode? (and neither does ULMB?)

Post by sofakng » 23 Jan 2014, 10:49

I'm still fooling around with my G-SYNC monitor but a couple of interesting things...

1) If I enable 3D Vision and then try to enable G-SYNC, it says that Stereoscopic (3D) will be disabled.
2) If I disable G-SYNC and use 120 Hz to play a 3D Vision game, ULMB doesn't work and says it's not supported during "3D Mode".

Has anybody else tested this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC: Doesn't support 3D mode? (and neither does ULM

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 10:51

sofakng wrote:I'm still fooling around with my G-SYNC monitor but a couple of interesting things...
1) If I enable 3D Vision and then try to enable G-SYNC, it says that Stereoscopic (3D) will be disabled.
It is not possible to use G-SYNC with shutter glasses.
sofakng wrote:2) If I disable G-SYNC and use 120 Hz to play a 3D Vision game, ULMB doesn't work and says it's not supported during "3D Mode".
3D Mode uses LightBoost, which is already a strobed mode like ULMB. So you don't need ULMB during 3D Mode, as 3D Mode has low motion blur already.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CeeJayII

Post by CeeJayII » 23 Jan 2014, 11:37

Is there any difference in the 3D mode before and after you installed G-Sync? Even though you can't technically enable G-sync in 3d, it is theorized that it may reduce pixel inversion artifacts in 3D.

sofakng

Post by sofakng » 23 Jan 2014, 12:22

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize LightBoost was being automatically enabled when in 3D mode.

I've only had the monitor for a couple of days before I installed G-SYNC so I didn't get a chance to check 3D before the G-SYNC module was installed for comparison :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 13:26

sofakng wrote:Thanks for the information. I didn't realize LightBoost was being automatically enabled when in 3D mode.
LightBoost was actually originally invented to reduce crosstalk for 3D, but by that nature, it also dramatically lowers the persistence of an LCD screen (LightBoost FAQ) and also eliminates motion blur, which makes it good for 2D.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 09 Feb 2014, 00:37

metasparks wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: It is not possible to use G-SYNC with shutter glasses.
Why? Isn't it supposed to support 3D vision?
Nope, it's not supposed to. It's either G-Sync or 3D Vision. You cannot activate both at the same time. It's unknown whether this will change in the future and, if it does, whether it will require new hardware or just new drivers.

And yeah, I know it's a bummer, since G-Sync would be even more useful with 3D Vision (due to the severe FPS hit by rendering twice). But there's nothing you can do about it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2014, 02:04

metasparks wrote:Why? Isn't it supposed to support 3D vision?
G-SYNC monitors support 3D Vision in non-GSYNC mode.

It is not currently (yet) practical to do variable-rate shutter/strobing at the current shutter frequencies that are being done, due to the erratic flicker that would create.

Theoretically, variable-rate strobing in ULMB mode is a much easier engineering challenge. However, that is not currently (yet) being done at the moment.

ManuelG_NVIDIA

Post by ManuelG_NVIDIA » 13 Feb 2014, 15:29

metasparks wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: It is not possible to use G-SYNC with shutter glasses.
Why? Isn't it supposed to support 3D vision?
In is not on our roadmap in the near future. I can't comment long term.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread.