Benq XL2420G G-Sync Chip vs Classic Engine Chip

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
lexlazootin

Benq XL2420G G-Sync Chip vs Classic Engine Chip

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2016, 08:24

I've known about this for awhile but i never heard anyone else talk about it.

All of these photos were taken with blur-reduction on.

This is the overdrive that comes standard (High) with every Benq monitor.

This is the 'firmware bugged' version were you select/re-select 'High' in the AMA settings to make it slightly less intense.

And finally is the overdrive done in the 'G-Sync' engine/chip

Massive difference! :)

Although there are different AMA settings in the G-Sync engine, they all look the same :lol:

That's all, i just thought it was interesting!
Last edited by lexlazootin on 27 May 2016, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Benq XL2420G G-Sync Chip vs Classic Engine Chip

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 28 Mar 2016, 10:03

What are the settings for that captures? Refresh rates. Is g-sync enabled? Are there any overdrive/AMA options with g-sync chip?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2016, 18:31

They were all shot at 120hz with Blur-reduction and AMA set too high. It would of made my life easier to not have to have blur-reduction on, but i didn't know how to get the bugged version of the AMA too work without blur-reduction, so too keep it fair i just left it on.

I didn't have G-Sync on, it was just running through the disport connection which you have to switch to the 'G-Sync engine' in the OSD for it too work. I used the same OSD settings for the colour.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Mar 2016, 19:52

To get the 'bugged' AMA to work without blur reduction, you need to enable the bugged AMA with MBR on (you already know how; set AMA to high after enabling blur reduction), then you switch directly to a gaming or picture preset that has blur reduction set to off.

This is easiest if you have a preset programmed as gamer 1, 2 or 3.
I don't think this works if you have to swap between more than one preset, e.g. gamer 3->2->1 if 1 is your preset with blur reduction off and you started on gamer 3. I think it might work if you swap through multiple presets that all have blur reduction off, as long as you don't scroll through one that has MBR on.

Going from the bugged AMA with MBR off to any MBR on, whether through OSD MBR setting or through a picture preset instantly reverts the AMA to default.

Going from the bugged AMA with MBR on, to a *preset* with MBR off, applies the bugged AMA to MBR off. This does not work if you change MBR from on to off via the OSD (AMA gets reverted to default).

Now you see the benefit of the S-switch.
You can instantly activate gamer 1, 2 or 3 right away, or you can instantly (almost) activate "standard mode" by holding down the "back" button on the S-switch for more than 8 seconds (if standard mode is your blur reduction off preset).

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Mar 2016, 22:01

Ah thanks! i was a bit lazy and i couldn't find the method.

A little side effect of having too do it in Blur-Reduction is that the photo can only be taken when the screen has completely transitioned, or the photo would be completely back ;)

If anyone cares i was shooting 1/1000 at 800iso with the monitor at 50 brightness.

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 25 May 2016, 08:50

Any chance you could do shots using the 'bugged' mode?

Been contemplating grabbing this monitor but havent been able to find any shots of the bugged mode on this model specifically.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 26 May 2016, 09:38

I did, and why wouldn't you use the G-Sync mode instead? much better overdrive.

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 26 May 2016, 17:21

Sorry I meant bugged mode without blur reduction.

Anyway no matter, I just picked up the monitor yesterday.

Will test it out myself =)

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 26 May 2016, 19:10

You know you can only do bugged without blur reduction by using a profile bug, right?
it doesn't work normally. You cant do it if MBR is already disabled. You have to enable blur reduction, do the "AmA low" trick (which isn't a bug actually, as it was intentionally added to firmware V3 after masterotaku complained about how the AMA got worse if you set it after turning on blur reduction), then you have to switch INTO a profile that has MBR disabled already. that's the "bug" as this was never intended to be done (but there are absolutely no drawbacks to it and 100% improvement).

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 26 May 2016, 19:20

Yep, fully aware after reading many of your posts about it ;)

I'll be doing a comparison against my Eizo FG2421. Turbo 240 on vs ULMB then BB Strobe Tool, Turbo 240 off vs blur reduction off with the various different AMA settings.