Benq XL2420G G-Sync Chip vs Classic Engine Chip

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Denonic

Re: Benq XL2420G G-Sync Chip vs Classic Engine Chip

Post by Denonic » 31 May 2016, 22:26

Can confirm that the AMA overdrive on High with displayport on the gsync engine is perfect.

Looks the same with gsync on or off.

However, my experience is that its only perfect with ULMB off. With ULMB on there is extreme ghosting which does not change regardless of what AMA setting I'm on.

lexlazootin can you let me know what OSD settings (i.e. picture mode etc) you have on during ULMB on because theres just no way I could get it looking like your screenshot.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 31 May 2016, 23:35

AMA doesn't do anything through the displayport connector ULMB on or off.

SRGB but i don't think that is the issue. Try turning down the Phase in your monitor's OSD.

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 01 Jun 2016, 04:11

AMA is most definitely doing something for me through displayport with ULMB off while G-Sync is off.

Off I have a clear yellow streak behind the UFO cockpit, High - its gone, Premium - I have a blue streak.

After turning G-Sync on the AMA menu gets locked (I can't push the right OSD key to get to the off/high/premium options) but the setting I left it on still remains applied.

Not sure if there is a different firmware or if the settings are different based on gpu. I'm using a GTX670.

ULMB on @ 120hz for me looks like its stuck with inverse ghosting and switching AMA settings does nothing for it.

Trying to take photos but all I've got is my phone and it can't capture it. Will borrow an SLR sometime and take photos.

Not doubting that yours doesn't do anything but mine definitely does and my ULMB has terrible ghosting. I'd just like to figure out why.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Jun 2016, 04:52

No wait, you're totally right...

I swear it's changed or something because i can't access the AMA menu in G-Sync mode anymore and when i do disable G-Sync it does in fact change...

I don't know how I've never noticed that.

In ULMB i do have SOME ghosting but it's kinda hard too see, It's it more apparent at the bottom of your screen?

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 01 Jun 2016, 09:05

Unfortunately not =( my whole screen has an even dose of bad ghosting during ULMB over displayport that looks similar to your first image on the OP. Not sure why it's so different. I've tried to put phase down to 0 and it helped a tiny bit but nowhere near your example.

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 04 Jun 2016, 21:05

Haven't gotten a hold of a DSLR yet but this is the best image I could take with my iPhone of the ghosting. I had to my my hand with the screen but it turned out a bit better than I expected.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.49 KiB) Viewed 7436 times
This is with ULMB on the displayport. The ghosting is similar to the BBR comparison pics and I've changed settings relentlessly to try and get it looking like yours. Seems like there may be hardware discrepancies in the display chain somewhere.. What graphics card are you using lexlazootin?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Jun 2016, 22:59

Lower the contrast. Also try setting AMA to off or low and then enable ULMB afterwards.

That AMA setting shown in the very first picture looks like the XL2720Z (the 27" monitor) with the AMA low setting.

like this:

Denonic

Post by Denonic » 04 Jun 2016, 23:16

SUCCESS! I tried it on a different computer, different GPU and it looked completely different with vastly less ghosting.

Plugged it back into my original computer with the GTX670 and it now looks perfect... Lesson learnt.. check cables. Must've not been fully seated in the first place and during replug ended up sitting correctly.

Heres the image after I replugged (still no DSLR but I'm getting pretty good at pursuit shots with my iphone :D ):
image(1).jpeg
image(1).jpeg (244.76 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
Friggin perfect overdrive and motion.

Just for kicks heres an AMA overdrive comparison without ULMB in GSYNC mode @120hz (144hz is probably cleaner):
AMA comparison.jpg
AMA comparison.jpg (46.82 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
High AMA puts out a near perfect overdriven image whereas the off/premium settings have ghosting and inverse ghosting respectively.

Theres pretty much no reason for me to use the classic mode now as I can't feel the <1 frame input lag difference.

Classic mode has been delegated to single strobe 60fps console gaming.