Monitor stopped overclocking?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
flyingthroughspace

Monitor stopped overclocking?

Post by flyingthroughspace » 29 Nov 2016, 19:40

Hi all.

I have a very old Samsung P2450 monitor that I recently tried overclocking. Worked great at 75hz, 1920 x 1080, and was verified as 75hz and 75fps by the frame skipping test. I also tried 2560 x 1440 @ 75hz and that worked too!
edit: GTX 1070

Now, for some reason, even though the Nvidia control panel reports 75hz, I'm only getting 60. I've deleted and recreated my custom resolutions (via Nvidia control panel) but nothing.

To be honest I was shocked it overclocked in the first place given its age, is it possible this monitor just wasn't up to the task of being OC'd for long?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Monitor stopped overclocking?

Post by RealNC » 29 Nov 2016, 20:17

You probably updated your GPU driver and forgot to re-apply the pixel clock patcher.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flyingthroughspace

Post by flyingthroughspace » 29 Nov 2016, 21:00

Nvidia did have an update but I never had to patch anything in the first place. Just made an adjustment directly through the Nvidia control panel. I did run patcher 1.4.0 but still am only getting 60hz. Both Nvidia control panel and (right click) Screen Resolution/Advanced Settings/Monitor show 1920 x 1080 @ 75hz. Also tried installing prior driver but have the same issue.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Nov 2016, 02:34

Try CRU instead of the control panel.

Also, "overclocking" an LCD monitor isn't actual overclocking. Many monitors have 75Hz panels to begin with, for compatibility with traditional 75Hz VESA modes, even if the monitor is otherwise sold and advertised as a 60Hz monitor. It's very unlikely a monitor somehow "degrades" and can't run 75Hz anymore.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flyingthroughspace

Post by flyingthroughspace » 30 Nov 2016, 15:12

Story time:

A while ago Chrome was having some issues getting hung-up on certain things, and the solution was to disable hardware acceleration. So I did. A few nights ago I was changing some settings when I noticed hardware acceleration was enabled, so I disabled it not wanting to run into any issues.

Well, guess what caused the frame-skipping test to not report accurately? Yep. Hardware acceleration being disabled. After spending an entire day screwing with Nvidia control panel and CRU, I tried to think about what else could have changed, then I remembered.

Now not only is my 75hz back, but I'm up to a "whopping" 77hz :lol: Also verified with Firefox.

So yea, if the frame-skipping test isn't reporting what you think it should be and you're using Chrome, make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.