LightBoost on Linux

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
fhunleth

LightBoost on Linux

Post by fhunleth » 27 Jan 2014, 11:52

Is there any way to enable LightBoost (or any similar technology) on Linux? I see posts about plugging the monitor into a Windows PC and running the ToastyX Strobelight, but is it possible to enable in a pure Linux environment? If I would need to write a program to do this, are there any pointers to the nVidia APIs that I would need to call (assuming the API is even available on Linux)?

Thanks,
Frank

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LightBoost on Linux

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 11:56

fhunleth wrote:Is there any way to enable LightBoost (or any similar technology) on Linux? I see posts about plugging the monitor into a Windows PC and running the ToastyX Strobelight, but is it possible to enable in a pure Linux environment? If I would need to write a program to do this, are there any pointers to the nVidia APIs that I would need to call (assuming the API is even available on Linux)?
There are no native NVIDIA API's. ToastyX essentially figured out part of the LightBoost protocol using a logic analyzer on the DDC line. It was an encrypted proprietary NVIDIA handshake, probably to prevent 3D Vision use on competitor products (AMD). You could try contacting ToastyX and asking if he is willing to share the information in order to do a Linux-based equivalent. There are two elements that are simultaneously needed to activating LightBoost:

(1) One-time unlocking of LightBoost via NVIDIA proprietary handshake. Once done, this does not need to be repeated unless you unplug your monitor from power.

(2) And switch to a custom timings, that uses 100Hz or 120Hz with a Vertical Total of 1149.
There are modelines found here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =1&t=23173

Once you've already done (1), you simply turn ON/OFF LightBoost simply by switching modelines. Vertial Total 1125 turns off LightBoost, and Vertical Total 1149 turns on LightBoost. (The final number in a Linux modeline is the Vertical Total).

Currently, the easiest way to get strobing under Linux, is either via EIZO Turbo240 or BENQ Z-Series Blur Reduction (make sure to be familiar with the BENQ strobe bug, though), or via Samsung 3D Mode strobing (found in some of their older 120Hz monitors). See List of 120Hz Monitors.

GSYNC ULMB might work, but this is currently untested. You may want to contact NVIDIA and ask them to add the LightBoost or ULMB support to their Linux NVIDIA drivers (I notice you registered on Blur Busters under a company email; if there is a large sale of monitors contingent on Linux LightBoost, then let NVIDIA know)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fhunleth

Post by fhunleth » 27 Jan 2014, 12:12

Wow. Thanks for the quick and informative response. I'll post an update if I make good progress.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 13:32

fhunleth wrote:Wow. Thanks for the quick and informative response. I'll post an update if I make good progress.
You can do (1) with Windows (dual boot or another computer, even a non-Optimus laptop) and then reconnect the monitor to a Linux system, to do (2) as long as you don't unplug the monitor from power.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Apr 2017, 05:40

Still not able to use ULMB under Linux. At least they said it's in their TODO list:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... able-ulmb/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.