Still nervous to install [SLI issue]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Shabutie

Still nervous to install [SLI issue]

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 15:48

Hey everyone,

I still have my DIY kit here next to me, and while the actual work involved in doing the mod doesn't scare me, the idea that it will perform poorly does. I keep seeing threads with "rainbow effects" or "one line of tearing across the top of the screen" and so forth. Would everyone that has installed it, especially those with SLI working, say this has been a definite good purchase?

Also, if there is a game that dislikes Gsync, would turning on ULMB or just no sync at all still allow it to play normally? Or is it if a game dislikes Gsync that no matter what you do it will stutter and such?

Thank you!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Still nervous to install

Post by RealNC » 28 Jan 2014, 16:57

It appears the kit can be removed again and the monitor restored to its default. So why not just try it out?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

shadman

Post by shadman » 28 Jan 2014, 17:00

If a game has engine stutters and continues to be not smooth, you can always set the games individually to not use G-Sync. ULMB might not look very good on games that have constant stutter, as there is a chance you won't even get to high enough framerates for it to be beneficial.

Of course, every game is going to be a little different, and some games might need more working on (Fallout with the stutter removing mod, keeping it smooth at constant 64fps).

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 17:03

How can you install the old system if you break off a piece of metal to install this one? (That little post).

I have dual 780's so I should generally have the 100+ for the strobing. As long as I can just go No-sync at all, no strobing and play as I do now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 17:11

Shabutie wrote:Also, if there is a game that dislikes Gsync, would turning on ULMB or just no sync at all still allow it to play normally?
Yep.
You can do regular VSYNC OFF, regular VSYNC ON, and GSYNC.
It just behaves like a normal 144Hz monitor.

The SLI issue may be the main risk factor -- that said, NVIDIA is aware.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 17:23

Going for it now then.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 17:26

If you have SLI issues, temporarily uninstall one of your 780's. However, for someone with a Titan SLI -- it was working for them. The 780's are simiar.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 19:35

So I installed it. What a bear of a process. From the bracket plate for the Power Cord not being drilled to the pain it was to remove the white connectors. But alas, it is finished. I booted it up and had the same issue of "No Input Detected" as someone else. But similar to his results I just had to unplug and plug it back in.

I am trying to adjust the color settings to a proper look like I had before. I am noticing that there is definitely a more noticeable light border around the monitor. Anyone else have this? Or have an idea as to why?

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 28 Jan 2014, 19:51

The rainbow effect you've read about is just a brief single frame flash when G-sync is initialized and does not always happen. I really doubt it's anything to worry about. And so far I'm the only person who has experienced the tear line, though an nVidia rep is looking into it.

I know what you mean about the LVDS cable connectors, those were a pain to remove. Make sure you check out the thread on how to calibrate colors on G-sync since the OSD only gives you access to brightness.

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 20:21

So I tried out CS and while it seems okay I think I like nosync 144 fps better. Yes there is a little tearing, but the input lag is too much at 144 and game feels too slow at 120 (maybe since I've played hundreds of hours at 144).

I tried Loadout, the game seems to be locked at 60FPS for me now instead of the 144 it was before. Not sure what the cause is. Will try more things tomorrow. So far I am underwhelmed, but I haven't had the best chance of seeing it work yet.

Both games I run at Single Card, btw.