Still nervous to install [SLI issue]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Still nervous to install

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 20:26

You need to try fps_max 140 GSYNC
I only tested fps_max 120, because it was too time consuming to test all the rates in between.

Hopefully the new drivers will fix the issue with fps_max 143 in CS:GO.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 21:08

Any idea why a game would lock to 60fps that used to lock to 144 with vsync?

Edit: Just played some more CS:GO 130 feels the same as 120, 140 definitely has more of a delay. Issue is, I can feel the delay from vsync off to gsync 120. It wouldn't seem it if I didn't play so much, but it is definitely there :/. I know you did your official tests, but it still feels like a vsync to me. Slightly faster, but vsync none the less.
Last edited by Shabutie on 28 Jan 2014, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 28 Jan 2014, 21:15

Shabutie wrote:Any idea why a game would lock to 60fps that used to lock to 144 with vsync?
Did you verify that the monitor is still at 144 Hz while the game is running? I have had trouble recently with a game (SR4) forcing 60 Hz no matter what refresh rate I try to set which was either caused by a game update or a driver update.

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 21:27

The monitor is at 144, it started off at 60 when I first installed it and it was horrid :). So that isn't the problem.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 22:01

Very interesting. Try testing fps_max 135 or fps_max 138. I know NVIDIA is looking closely at the framerate-capout sudden latency increase behaviors -- hopefully it's something driver based and fixable, rather than game-based limitations. fps_max 143 should ideally fly lovely, but doesn't (yet).

I wonder if you might be feeling an input lag placebo from the motion fluidity behavior change, but it is possible there is other explainable effects that is occuring -- perhaps you're seeing extra motion blur from a lower frame rate (14fps below 144ps is a 10% fluidity degradation, which is actually noticeable to highly experienced 144fps players) -- it may translate to a feeling of extra latency? If so, what happens if you try to play VSYNC OFF with a fps_max 120? Do you get the same "latency increase effect" when you fps_max VSYNC OFF to 120?? I'm interested in your comments on this. Although the measured latency is the same, motion blur increases/decreases and/or stutter behavior changes may actually be tricking you into perceiving more latency/less latency. It'd be cool to figure out the causes of your latency perceptions.
Shabutie wrote:Any idea why a game would lock to 60fps that used to lock to 144 with vsync?
Switching from Aero to Basic or vice versa sometimes does that, try changing settings and seeing what happens. Did you change any setting, such as that? Or switch drivers?

I can really confirm that GSYNC really does feel much better at fixing lower frame rates (e.g. Battlefield 4 has often consistent rave reviews among GSYNC users). CS:GO isn't the ideal showcase game to show maximum GSYNC benefit, what are the games you mainly play?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 28 Jan 2014, 22:34

I tested fps_max 120, works the same on no-sync. I think i'm just very aware of input delay :/

I play everything. I mainly play CS:GO and L4D2 inbetween other new games. I'm more gearing up for the new releases this spring. I'll do some more testing tonight/tomorrow.

Nealb90

Post by Nealb90 » 28 Jan 2014, 23:45

Where is this "max_fps" setting? Is it a setting for CS? (Never played that game) or is it a setting in the nvidia control panel or nvidia inspector or something else? Just curious...

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 29 Jan 2014, 00:12

It's a setting in the source engine.

So I tested out a few games.

Chivalry plays exactly the same, but I am capped at 120FPS and usually don't dip below it.
CS:GO I feel as if there is a bit of input delay compared to noSync.
Loadout I got it to work at the 110 FPS cap and it felt smooth. Problem is it feels the same way with noSync.
L4D2 has no way to cap FPS so there is vsync level input lag.
Rust is a stuttering mess now. Even with sync Off. This was not like this as of yesterday and there have been no patches. Not sure what happened.
Crysis Warhead caps at 60FPS with gsync, can't get it to change. Also crashes after a minute or so.
Dota 2 feels like it stutters more than it used to.

Rainbow band is showing up for me in games now.

So far I am very unimpressed and have yet to play a game where there is an improvement. Now I have some games running worse for me. Unless I see this thing working on a slew of games soon I will consider it a bust. If you are on the fence and money is tight, please wait. This technology is under developed. I wish I could go back to how it was before and return this thing, but I don't believe they will take it back "used". Also, you have to remove the metal pin during installation, so I don't know how you would put the old board back.

Maybe I've just had really bad luck, but I just feel let down. Hoping for better results or a time machine.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 29 Jan 2014, 00:16

Well, I play rust as well, and it sure made my game look nice. I hold 119 FPS and then at night I hit like 75-90 FPS and gsync keeps that whole thing smooth. Have you tried to hit the 'menu' button while in game? The monitor should say 'GSync' mode in the status bar, as opposed to 'normal' mode.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 29 Jan 2014, 00:32

It does say Gsync mode. Still runs poorly for me on any settings now.

I tried Battlefield 4 as well (with SLI). It ran for 5 minutes with more stutter than I have ever seen while playing the game before. Then it crashed, probably due to the SLI. THis caused no games to run on my computer until I restarted.

I'm getting more upset by the minute with this thing. I really need to learn to quit while I'm ahead. Earlier today my setup worked great and I was happy. Now I just feel like I dumped money out the window to hurt my PC. I never should have upgraded. This was a huge mistake.