ASUS vg248qe after lightboost

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
luki_qq

ASUS vg248qe after lightboost

Post by luki_qq » 14 Mar 2017, 09:49

Hello, after i tried using lightboost i had some 0.5 second of vertical lines on my monitor, not sure what happened but after a while i had this thing on my monitor Image you can see this white line, before sending it to asus i wanted to know if there's a fix, also i wanna mention about something this line is literally on the same place as the game i play(i play it on window mode) so im wondering if its related with it. I tested it i can still see the line when i shut down my computer and last thing, it felt like recovered a bit after 1-2 days i saw a red small dot at first and it became less noticable but it is still noticable.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ASUS vg248qe after lightboost

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2017, 12:48

What do you mean "0.5 seconds of vertical lines?"

As for the picture, that looks like temporary burn-in --
Does this artifact slowly fade over time? (behaves like a burn-in)
Does this fade faster when you play full-screen video (With lots of picture changes)?

This might be caused some flawed LCD inversion in your monitor (What does www.testufo.com/inversion look like?)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 14 Mar 2017, 14:26

Use this program with "Pure white burn" or "Exercise (LCD)" overnight and see if it fixes it. Set the refresh rate to 60hz before running it.

http://www.jads.co.uk/screen-repair/jscreenfix-deluxe

luki_qq

Post by luki_qq » 15 Mar 2017, 21:18

Chief Blur Buster wrote:What do you mean "0.5 seconds of vertical lines?"

Does this fade faster when you play full-screen video (With lots of picture changes)?

This might be caused some flawed LCD inversion in your monitor (What does http://www.testufo.com/inversion look like?)
I mean it was like lines suddenly pop up on my screen and dissappear.(after i stop using lightboost it stopped as well) And yes it felt like it dissappeard a little bit and after a while it was the same and it doesnt fade faster i as noticed. Also i tried inversion the moving one has 2 different colors(reddish and green) on the first 2 bar

And im trying the jscreenfix right now, should i just wait a little more to see if its getting fixed since it didnt over a night, or send to warranty ?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Mar 2017, 16:02

It took about 2 weeks of overnight usage of jscreenfix deluxe to fix "burn in" line patterns on my XL2720Z (years of having my browser open overnight with blur reduction/VT tweaks enabled had caused it).

luki_qq

Post by luki_qq » 19 Mar 2017, 12:52

Falkentyne wrote:It took about 2 weeks of overnight usage of jscreenfix deluxe to fix "burn in" line patterns on my XL2720Z (years of having my browser open overnight with blur reduction/VT tweaks enabled had caused it).
yes i noticed it goes away slowly and should i use white burn in or, exercise(lcd) seemed like pure white burn in was more usefull. and thanks for help

caseyohrn

Post by caseyohrn » 13 Sep 2017, 05:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:What do you mean "0.5 seconds of vertical lines?"

This might be caused some flawed LCD inversion in your monitor (What does http://www.testufo.com/inversion look like?)
So my VG248QE started doing this. Here's the thing. When I use HDMI or DisplayPort the image persistence stays, but when I put it in service mode and use the burn in test. Nothing appears on any colors and white is crystal clear.

Could the mainboard be defective or the power supply? Which one should I buy to fix the problem?

Thank you!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2017, 09:16

Could you post a photo of your problem in the main screen?

Also, buying a new monitor may be cheaper than trying to fix an old VG248QE unless you found a source of cheap replacement parts.

For this type of problem, it is possible that LCD inversion logic (firmware code) somehow suddenly stopped functioning. Try attempting a full Factory Reset (the fullest possible), and see if that fixes the problem. In theory it's also possible that a component failed in its ability to provide alternating negative/positive voltages -- e.g. possibly one side of a power supply failing.

Do you have two out-of-warranty VG248QE's to experiment swapping parts in? That's one exercise that can be done, to isolate the part that causes LCD inversion failures or other types of failures that suddenly causes burn-in effects. Failures causing sudden LCD burn-in artifacts are unfortunately wide and varied. It could be any part that influences sudden mysterious LCD image retention. From easiest to hardest:

Firmware code can fail (e.g. inversion setting gets corrupted) --> Factory reset will fix
Power supply rail failure (e.g. stops supplying correct voltage to panel) --> may need new internal power supply
Motherboard failure (e.g. component failures) --> may need new motherboard.

So it's possibly easier to sell the "VG248QE for parts" on eBay (somebody else may need to fix their VG248QE) and then buy a new monitor from the List of Best Gaming Monitors. If you get a ULMB monitor to replace LightBoost, a big bonus is that most modern ULMB is usually much brighter, more colorful, and better than LightBoost -- with a simple on-screen ON/OFF menu option.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

caseyohrn

Post by caseyohrn » 13 Sep 2017, 14:32

Thank you for responding.

I did a full factory reset in both the menu and service mode and the problem remained.

It may be hard to see but there's a faint line on top, but it gets much much worse than this and does go away using jscreenfix modes pure white burn & exercise. https://imgur.com/a/gnH9W

I bought a full replacement board for $30 and it should be here on Monday. I'll try the new power supply and motherboard separately to see which one is causing the issue in my particular situation.

This screen doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels and after having to send my LG monitor back 7 times and my VG248QE back twice I'd rather not risk the lottery on a new monitor. I'm a seasoned technician so this should be quite easy for me to test for you. I'll let you know the results right away when it arrives.

Thanks again!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Sep 2017, 19:55

Thanks for the pic!

Please let us know what fixes it.

Are you displaying an edge or line in this location (possible image retention) or does this line show independently of any screen elements?

If weird behavior always affects only a specific pixel row (entire pixel row, unrelated to a window frame position, only horizontal line, no vertical line) -- it might even be the panel itself, a weakened row addressing circuit that is now interfering with the correct voltage specifically for that row of pixels. That can cause slower-than-usual pixel transitions for a specific pixel row or an image-retention effect for a specific pixel row or pixel column. If it always a row/column specificity, I would replace the panel before replacing power/motherboard. The pixels aren't bad, but the circuits at the edge of a panel can go bad, creating strange behaviours (slower pixel response, image retention, color tinting, etc) for just one specific pixel row, or just one specific pixel column.